well Hanks gone and done it, A REAL aggressive move towards me, him mom :(

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Ok, I pretty much know what needs to be done,, but will very much appreciate hearing all anyone has to offer. I know he loves me and have always thought he knows im alpha, but im guessing somewhere along the line, or his age, or his growing testicles, My 'alpha' went out the window. Last eve, when i asked him to get off the bed (he went to pee on it! in our lodge ! and something hes never ever done since adult) i very sternly said NO and told him off the bed.. His head lowered, he stared, and jumped at me like he would have bit if he could have. Not having a dreaded broom, i picked up a chair, pushed him off because he really seemed to stay with his aggression, and i put him in a corner with two chairs blocking him. He was mortified, and even when i moved the chairs, he stayed there another hour. During the night he wanted up on the bed but i did not allow. His dads immediate reaction is "he's gone!!" he was horrified! and of course protective of me.. Well, Hanks not going anywhere, i will work with this, but i do know it has to be nipped in the bud! anyway, he's nearing 17 months, has his testies but never seemed to miss behave because of them, about a month ago, he did this when asked out of my chair. so, one thing that has absolutely stopped is dads roughhousing!!!! never again with that! Also, just something both times that seemed to trigger it was my very loud voice. It was almost like it scarred him and he got protective of himself. I just dont know... Love advice from you bulldog people.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Oh uggggggggggggggggggggggggg! So sorry to hear this Jill, I know how much you love your boy!!! I don't have any experience with this issue. You know someone will reply with some advice. I just wanted to say hang in there friend!!! SO SORRY....how worrisome.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ok, I pretty much know what needs to be done,, but will very much appreciate hearing all anyone has to offer. I know he loves me and have always thought he knows im alpha, but im guessing somewhere along the line, or his age, or his growing testicles, My 'alpha' went out the window. Last eve, when i asked him to get off the bed (he went to pee on it! in our lodge ! and something hes never ever done since adult) i very sternly said NO and told him off the bed.. His head lowered, he stared, and jumped at me like he would have bit if he could have. Not having a dreaded broom, i picked up a chair, pushed him off because he really seemed to stay with his aggression, and i put him in a corner with two chairs blocking him. He was mortified, and even when i moved the chairs, he stayed there another hour. During the night he wanted up on the bed but i did not allow. His dads immediate reaction is "he's gone!!" he was horrified! and of course protective of me.. Well, Hanks not going anywhere, i will work with this, but i do know it has to be nipped in the bud! anyway, he's nearing 17 months, has his testies but never seemed to miss behave because of them, about a month ago, he did this when asked out of my chair. so, one thing that has absolutely stopped is dads roughhousing!!!! never again with that! Also, just something both times that seemed to trigger it was my very loud voice. It was almost like it scarred him and he got protective of himself. I just dont know... Love advice from you bulldog people.

Jill with all your posts I've ever read, this is so not like Hank! Tell hubby to relax and BOTH you n your husband work together on Hank. Not just you. Testies can be an issue but no one will know 100%. For sure never accept being bully by Hank. You stand over him and as you know a big FIRM NO and drag him in his cage. Do not talk to him and walk away. Leave him there for a good 2hrs without talking n looking at him. Pretend he's not there. If he whines dont do eye contact. Walk away. You did well putting the chairs in front of him as when you removed them he stayed for an hour on his own. He got the message. I so dont believe anyone thinking "my dog wouldn't do that or this". Dogs or any pet can do the unthinkable. They're animals. All you n hubby have to do is stick to your guns as we say and push or drag Hank to his kennel or a corner. Let him stay there. Hank is a smart cookie, he'll realize trying to mess around with the alpha parents wont work.

Now that being said....is he taking any meds or some new changed in his diet?

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks to you guys and.... both times that he had this reaction, it 'seemed' to stem from ..... how do i say this,, me having a highly emotional NO yelled at him. His head dropped like submissive and wanted to run away, maby he felt trapped/ cornered ??... and retaliated.. He normally can run away from a 'fear' but mabie just didnt know what to do with it. ? He's not taking meds at all, but we are in a strange place, higher altitude than he's used to, and alot going on around him.. Pluss, he barley stopped his panting from running up and down the stars of which was why i was on the bed resting with him... He has listened better than ever today though. and something else i was wondering...... If this should happen again, is it safe in that mode to try to pin him till submissive type thing? and if it's fear of my yelling loud (i cuss at him all day long but he understands that) what to do about that because he will hear another NO from me in the future im sure :/

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Jill, this is the bluntest reply I can come up with. In this case, blunt is necessary and I really think you would expect nothing less from me. I have discussed this scenario with Sandy so your getting a bit from both of us in this reply...

Firstly, I'm really sorry that this has come about. We've seen it happen many times and we always offer the same advice...

He needs to be neutered ASAP. Off furniture and bed. Forever!! If he is growling and lunging now it will only get worse. He is trying to control his world, your world. He doesn't think you are alpha or he would not have challenged you. If he has done this in the past and you got him off with a broom and continued to allow him access to the bed/furniture, he learned nothing. Furniture is ultimate control for a dog and puts them on the same level as the humans in the home. When he went to Pee in the bed, this was yet another loud notice to you and anyone else that it his and his alone.
He needs very strong rules and boundaries to live by or his behavior is going to get worse. He needs to wear a cinching collar(we use Martingale) and short lead at all times and if unattended or can't be watched then in crate. There needs to be VERY strict rules and frequent small rewards for good behavior...but the reward cannot EVER be furniture or beds. If you allow furniture or beds again he will go right back to the undesirable behavior, every time.
I think you know what to do...now comes the hard part...doing it.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Jill, this is the bluntest reply I can come up with. In this case, blunt is necessary and I really think you would expect nothing less from me. I have discussed this scenario with Sandy so your getting a bit from both of us in this reply...

Firstly, I'm really sorry that this has come about. We've seen it happen many times and we always offer the same advice...

He needs to be neutered ASAP. Off furniture and bed. Forever!! If he is growling and lunging now it will only get worse. He is trying to control his world, your world. He doesn't think you are alpha or he would not have challenged you. If he has done this in the past and you got him off with a broom and continued to allow him access to the bed/furniture, he learned nothing. Furniture is ultimate control for a dog and puts them on the same level as the humans in the home. When he went to Pee in the bed, this was yet another loud notice to you and anyone else that it his and his alone.
He needs very strong rules and boundaries to live by or his behavior is going to get worse. He needs to wear a cinching collar(we use Martingale) and short lead at all times and if unattended or can't be watched then in crate. There needs to be VERY strict rules and frequent small rewards for good behavior...but the reward cannot EVER be furniture or beds. If you allow furniture or beds again he will go right back to the undesirable behavior, every time.
I think you know what to do...now comes the hard part...doing it.

I do thank you for your bluntness..... His dad actually wanted to do right here right now on vacation... well, thats not really going to happen but im calling for apt from here and take care of that. He is the biggest sweetheart and gentle soul........... normally. and ya know whats really going to be tough. We have friends comming with a female chihuahua that has just come out of heat. Hank will stay in our room... Anyway, thanks for all advice.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Hanky is testing his limits, lol. Unfortunately, I've had plenty of experience with this behavior from Sadie. She is 5 now so not as often, but if she really doesn't want to do something she'll snap and growl at hubby and me. I drag her to timeout just as Helene suggested and completely ignoring her barking and she eventually settles down. Personally, when she was younger I would do the submissive hold on her and make her stay there until she was told she could get up. Sometimes I'd almost immediately have to do it again, as she obvious didn't give 2 sh**ts. If you haven't done it before, note to self it's not an easy thing to do and you WILL end up with scratches. They are very strong and stubborn (as you know well). My husband says I was ready for a black belt, :ninja2:

i wont comment if the testies are a contributing factor, my opinion on that matter not too popular.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wow, exactly like my Tank (also 18 months old and intact) acted several days ago! I didn't let him into bedroom and he snapped badly at me. I chased him with the broom into bed and then sprayed with water. He was scared, stayed in bed for 2 hours.
I think that it is a result of our love to our babies, it is impossible to resist these cute faces and Personally I was behaving in a way that caused him to feel the boss Of the house. I couldn't pass him without kisses and hugs, let him on sofa etc.

sometimes we, bullie parents forget that bulldogs are still animals and forget to show them who is the boss. They need a bit of boundaries, kinda feeling that you are his god who gives him food and roof. I think your immediate reaction was prompt and not too much, I would just recommend you to practice that wonderful method "nothing in life is free", what actually is big fun and gives you an opportunity to teach your bullie new tricks. I practice it every day since growling happened, and he seems to react very well.
Ask him to sit or down before getting food and leash. When he comes for tummy rub, first ask him to perform high five or whatever he is able to do and after that pat him. Don't let him on sofa or bed (I know, it is difficult, but I stopped it, I think it is important clue for dogs that there are things we don't share with them). Don't let him come out of the door in front of you, trainers say it is important for dogs, alpha comes first.

Im sure he was scared of what he did ( Tank was, I could see he knows he was wrong).
I am 100 percent sure that with a little bit of training Hank will never do it again.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hanky is testing his limits, lol. Unfortunately, I've had plenty of experience with this behavior from Sadie. She is 5 now so not as often, but if she really doesn't want to do something she'll snap and growl at hubby and me. I drag her to timeout just as Helene suggested and completely ignoring her barking and she eventually settles down. Personally, when she was younger I would do the submissive hold on her and make her stay there until she was told she could get up. Sometimes I'd almost immediately have to do it again, as she obvious didn't give 2 sh**ts. If you haven't done it before, note to self it's not an easy thing to do and you WILL end up with scratches. They are very strong and stubborn (as you know well). My husband says I was ready for a black belt, :ninja2:

i wont comment if the testies are a contributing factor, my opinion on that matter not too popular.

I really thank you Stacey as i know this is a tough one, and sad to say and awful to say but im glad to hear you have dealt and life goes on. I was quite disheartened last night, but then i sucked it up and knew that i just had to buckle down and get it done. Now, as far as hearing your opinion on the testies factor.... even though i've made up my mind to chop the sucker,,,, i would love to hear your input... you can do here or pm me if you like :) I want to hear it all... REALLY!

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I've found that the smarter the bully, the more personality and bigger battles with them! Congratulations on the decision to chop the suckers off! :up: I'm a huge proponent of spaying and neutering. Unfortunately, they're are WAY too many Bullies and others breeds, mutts, etc that need good loving homes with responsibility owners.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I do thank you for your bluntness..... His dad actually wanted to do right here right now on vacation... well, thats not really going to happen but im calling for apt from here and take care of that. He is the biggest sweetheart and gentle soul........... normally. and ya know whats really going to be tough. We have friends comming with a female chihuahua that has just come out of heat. Hank will stay in our room... Anyway, thanks for all advice.
Oh...you're not at home? I thought this happened at the house. Didn't know you were still vacationing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh...you're not at home? I thought this happened at the house. Didn't know you were still vacationing.

Yes,,, beautiful Mammoth lake/mt.... Gorgeous!!! and the hank part though, the first time was at home in my recliner... Im the one that felt trapped though as i was loving him up and said off now, he didnt, and was pushing back and i said OFF and thats when his head lowered and he freeked out....and then while here was once again right after my outburst of NO.... well, geesh! what did he expect he went to squat and i freeked with a loud quick NO. anyway, all is peaceful, and will be another good night (sort of sad too) w/o hanks butt or jowles on my face all night. Love this big turd, but lessons must be learned.... And learn he will.... and [MENTION=13638]Florida girls[/MENTION] , yes, i have always had it done, read so much about it as of late, on the NOT neutering , and wanted to go with the 'new' flow. Also, thinking they have a hard time breeding anyway soooooooooo, was in no hurry of an accident happening... ya know what too,,,,,, I am very conscious where i walk him with those things hanging as he is much more valuable to a thief and im so scarred of that too. Last year, he was only 6 months old and i had a guy with a pit run up to me and ask for a breeding with hank!!!!! I dont want anyone to get ideas so its better that way too... My son is going to be po'ed.. lol He thinks he looks so studly and wants me get a pup from him... Nope, not this guy! anyway, thanks, and love to hear anything anyone has to offer :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Im going to say something and some will roll their eyes but that's ok. This is MY opinion...yes MY MY MYYYY opinion. Very true some dogs needs to have their "testies" as you put it..be addressed. But it's not all dogs. Hank's probably has to but who knows. Ive seen numerous dogs still with their jewels and not aggressive whatsoever. Does snip snip cure aggressions? You would need a Crystal Ball. I know it sure didnt do anything castrated my GS. He was worst. But that was him. I find its a personal topic for sure. On weds Duke is having his vasectomy done cause it's on the contract to get him neutered. I dont want him neutered or castrated so i opt for vasectomy even through the breeder didnt like it she didnt say much cause she knows im not going to breed. I want Duke to keep his little jewels and go through life with his hormones. Again that's ME!! If i need to discipline if he reacts i will. That's my responsibility. Only one boss under my roof and sure wasnt or isn't going to be a dog. These so call studies dogs live longer or healthier lives if they are neutered. Im sorry but that's BS. Just read in here would be a good example or dogs youve seen and heard throughout your live time. They still can get cancer or other sickness and most dogs dont live till they are 15 like when i was younger. They still get.little issues with eyes, bald spots, allergies, infections and all that jazz. Has nothing to do with getting your dog neutered and they'll live healthier. It's life, it's what you feed them just like humans. Aggression is and can be "testies" but boils down to the owners for discipline. So that's MY 2 cents on neutering cause of aggression.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
In Europe most of the domestic male dogs are left intact unless they demonstrate aggressiveness or annoying sexual advances like humping etc. Lately vet community talks more and more about advantages of NOT neutering male dogs without necessity, as there are more health disadvantages (some cancers etc).
It is different for female dogs, people usually choose to spay and stray or rescued dogs, they are neutered.
Btw, it is VERY unlikely situation that male dog will be able all of a sudden to perform a sex act without certain training. Most bulldogs have difficulties with performng a proper sex act if they were not prepared for this from a young age, and trained with experienced bitch etc. Believe me, it's not so easy :D just want to say situation of possible unwanted grandchildren is...mmm.. unlikely to happen!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Im going to say something and some will roll their eyes but that's ok. This is MY opinion...yes MY MY MYYYY opinion. Very true some dogs needs to have their "testies" as you put it..be addressed. But it's not all dogs. Hank's probably has to but who knows. Ive seen numerous dogs still with their jewels and not aggressive whatsoever. Does snip snip cure aggressions? You would need a Crystal Ball. I know it sure didnt do anything castrated my GS. He was worst. But that was him. I find its a personal topic for sure. On weds Duke is having his vasectomy done cause it's on the contract to get him neutered. I dont want him neutered or castrated so i opt for vasectomy even through the breeder didnt like it she didnt say much cause she knows im not going to breed. I want Duke to keep his little jewels and go through life with his hormones. Again that's ME!! If i need to discipline if he reacts i will. That's my responsibility. Only one boss under my roof and sure wasnt or isn't going to be a dog. These so call studies dogs live longer or healthier lives if they are neutered. Im sorry but that's BS. Just read in here would be a good example or dogs youve seen and heard throughout your live time. They still can get cancer or other sickness and most dogs dont live till they are 15 like when i was younger. They still get.little issues with eyes, bald spots, allergies, infections and all that jazz. Has nothing to do with getting your dog neutered and they'll live healthier. It's life, it's what you feed them just like humans. Aggression is and can be "testies" but boils down to the owners for discipline. So that's MY 2 cents on neutering cause of aggression.

Agree! Hands off bullies balls! Tanks balls are staying too! In case he will get ideas to growl at mm agan, I have broom and water spray!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.