Has anyone tried this generic for allergies?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I tried Chumly on Atopica and the generic and neither worked very well. This was several years ago in the UK and my options were few at that point.

I found this online.

"The generic Cyclosporine is formulated differently and is absorbed differently than Atopica. Since there are fewer regulations on generics, we don't know from one to another how it's formulated. In general, the generic works ~ 75% as effective as Atopica.

Given the cost of Atopica, I think it's worth trying the generic in larger dogs. The one thing you can give with it to make it more effective is Ketoconazole. This makes it more effective and slows down the excretion of the drug".

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't think Atopica or generic cyclosporin is being used much since the introduction of apoquel and cytopoint. It's much more toxic- tends to cause significant imumunosuppression and and kidney damage. It's still being used in eye drops in dogs, and for transplants in humans. It's barely even used anymore in humans for transplants since tacrolimus and sirolimus are much more common nowadays. It's kind of a relic.

I think Lynn was thinking there is a generic apoquel.

I tried Chumly on Atopica and the generic and neither worked very well. This was several years ago in the UK and my options were few at that point.

I found this online.

"The generic Cyclosporine is formulated differently and is absorbed differently than Atopica. Since there are fewer regulations on generics, we don't know from one to another how it's formulated. In general, the generic works ~ 75% as effective as Atopica.

Given the cost of Atopica, I think it's worth trying the generic in larger dogs. The one thing you can give with it to make it more effective is Ketoconazole. This makes it more effective and slows down the excretion of the drug".

OP
Manydogs

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've been using Cytopoint for Lambeau and it is working great

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I've been using Cytopoint for Lambeau and it is working great

Jax went 7 weeks on his first shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jax went 7 weeks on his first shot!

THAT IS AWESOME!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online