CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Hi guys! My sweet little Finn and Violet both have been having suuuuper loose stools. It pretty much pours right out (sorry :() and I'm not sure why. We treated them for giardia a couple weeks ago. They've had solid stool a couple times since them but it's mostly loose or liquidy. The only other thing we're doing is transitioning them from Purina to Fromm but we've taken it super slow...slower than the chart that I've found on here. Should I take another stool sample to the vet and have it checked? There's no blood and they seem normal otherwise (eating, drinking, playing). I've read tons of threads on here about diarrhea so I hate to post ANOTHER post about it but I need help. Should I cut out kibble and do the bland diet? If so, for how long? If they currently get 1 cup of kibble 3x/day, would I just give them 1 cup of a mixture of boiled chicken and rice 3x/day?? This may be obvious but it's been a looong time since I had a puppy.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
And here's this just because. :). Any help with the diarrhea chaos is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6101.JPG
    IMG_6101.JPG
    652.8 KB · Views: 155

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
And here's this just because. :). Any help with the diarrhea chaos is greatly appreciated!

My Daphne is 11 months old and I only feed her 1 cup twice a day. Maybe they're getting too much food. We'll see what the others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
My Daphne is 11 months old and I only feed her 1 cup twice a day. Maybe they're getting too much food. We'll see what the others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that crossed my mind! I've just been going by the breeder's recommendation which is more than the instructions on the Fromm bag.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
too much food! I think ;) I mean, it could of course be a combo of things but i'd go a bit faster on the switch as they're pooping anyway, and just get that other out of their systems. And, from whats told here, they just cant process that much food so it comes out too fast. They are WAY too cute though!!!! great lookin pups! thanks for the pic :) and mabie send in another sample as well???

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
too much food! I think ;) I mean, it could of course be a combo of things but i'd go a bit faster on the switch as they're pooping anyway, and just get that other out of their systems. And, from whats told here, they just cant process that much food so it comes out too fast. They are WAY too cute though!!!! great lookin pups! thanks for the pic :) and mabie send in another sample as well???

Same thing happened to our girls when we switched to Fromm when they were puppies. Fromm was way to rich for them..it was horrible. We did a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days to "clean out" their system and then switched them to natural balance and all was well!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Giardia is really hard to eradicate, so I wouldn't even test at this point, just get the vet to prescribe another course of the febendazole 50 mg/kg/day and metronidazole 25mg/kg twice daily, both for 5 days. Make sure you bathe the dog daily and clean the environment daily at the same time and for a few days after.
I'm pasting this info:
Cysts are inactivated by most quaternary ammonium compounds eg. Lysol, steam, and boiling water.To increase the efficacy of disinfectants, solutions should be left for 5–20 min before being rinsed off contaminated surfaces. Disinfection of grass yards or runs is impossible, and these areas should be considered contaminated for at least a month after infected dogs last had access. Cysts are susceptible to desiccation, and areas should be allowed to dry thoroughly after cleaning.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes, that crossed my mind! I've just been going by the breeder's recommendation which is more than the instructions on the Fromm bag.
Is it fromm puppy or adults?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok again...get off the puppy food or you're always going to have this issue. Puppy food is not made for all puppies especially for EB. My other dogs all had puppy food but no way i can give it to Duke. Nyala my brindle is on home cooking and once in a while she gets a handful of Acana grasslands. But duke the little guy had the exact same issue as yours and bright red blood n all. Hes on Acana chicken cobb adult and the liquid or loose stools stopped. I doubt you need more test done. Your dogs had all the proper test done. Also DUKE eats raw till his immune system gets back on track. (Puppy stress)

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Ok again...get off the puppy food or you're always going to have this issue. Puppy food is not made for all puppies especially for EB. My other dogs all had puppy food but no way i can give it to Duke. Nyala my brindle is on home cooking and once in a while she gets a handful of Acana grasslands. But duke the little guy had the exact same issue as yours and bright red blood n all. Hes on Acana chicken cobb adult and the liquid or loose stools stopped. I doubt you need more test done. Your dogs had all the proper test done. Also DUKE eats raw till his immune system gets back on track. (Puppy stress)

So go straight to adult food?? I guess I didn't realize I could do that since they're just over 11 weeks.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Any adult dog food is fine as long as it is rated "Suitable for all life stages" . Puppies get more per day for their weight than adult dogs do.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke was 3months when i had him. And changed him at 4months. Since yours are that young, once the stools are back on track, try to intoduce them raw tripe. Frozen in patties and its the GREEN one not white. The white is bleached. Here in Canada its called Carnivora. Im sure you have something in your area. I cut it in tiny cubes and keep them frozen. I wear gloves! Smells like hell but extremely good for them. Its loaded of minerals n its their probiotic of the day. I give about like 1/4 cup a day each. Make sure the loose stools are on track first then slowly mix a bit of raw with the kibbles. Only every other day for a few weeks then a 1/4 each daily mix with the kibbles as they are young and need all the vitamins they can get as pups.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION] Oh so sorry to hear whats happening to Finn and Violet! Poor babies!!!! Your poor head must be SPINNING!! Happened to me too when I first got Joey. Some things work for some pups and not for others. As long as you are addressing any possible health issues (which you have) just take the feeding thing one, slow step at a time.

So many here have given you really great advice, but don't let it overwhelm you. Pick one suggestion that fits your life/schedule and try it, if that does not work slowly try something else that has been suggested to you. It will take a little time BUT you and the pups will get there :) I went through the same with Joey until I started her on the Life's Abundance puppy food (on the recommendation of a friend), then into the "all life stages" formula. It's just what worked for Joey, some here like the food and some don't, BUT it worked for Joey and she's very healthy, thank God. So......take each suggestion, think them over and slowly implement a plan that you like, that fits your schedule, etc. and see how it works. It does sound like too much food right now, so perhaps simply cutting the amount could work, one thing at a time.

They're really still so young and it really takes time as far as the food thing goes, at least it did for Joey, seemed like forever but in reality it was a few weeks. Good luck, keep posting!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Giardia is really hard to eradicate, so I wouldn't even test at this point, just get the vet to prescribe another course of the febendazole 50 mg/kg/day and metronidazole 25mg/kg twice daily, both for 5 days. Make sure you bathe the dog daily and clean the environment daily at the same time and for a few days after.
I'm pasting this info:
Cysts are inactivated by most quaternary ammonium compounds eg. Lysol, steam, and boiling water.To increase the efficacy of disinfectants, solutions should be left for 5–20 min before being rinsed off contaminated surfaces. Disinfection of grass yards or runs is impossible, and these areas should be considered contaminated for at least a month after infected dogs last had access. Cysts are susceptible to desiccation, and areas should be allowed to dry thoroughly after cleaning.

I had a bully w/giardia and once we figured out what was wrong he got an injection and in a day or two he was fine. I would go to the vets for a re-check... since they are so young they could've caught something else or the giardia might still be an issue. I would stick to a bland diet as well... instead of the boiled chicken I use ground sirloin. Chicken can cause allergy issues for some dogs, sirloin seems to be a safe choice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.