Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
OK first I have noticed for a for a few days chevs eyes have been watering and sometimes red and then night before last chevs poop was a little loose so I gave him a little pepto to ease his tummy then yesterday I came home from work and after his usual dance of running around me and wallering all over me I flipped him over on his back for a belly rub and noticed what looked like blotches under the white fur on his chest I rubbed it and his little leg went crazy OK so then I knew it was itchy so I went to the store and got children's Benadryl which he loves eats it like its nothing no fighting to get it in him nothing n today his poop seems to b firming up a little and he is eating drinking and playing as normal but the hives r still there n still itchy I have racked my brain trying to fig out what it could b and at the beginning of the week we mowed the grass n chev went out in it the next afternoon could that be it ???? Just need a little advice is this allergy's or is something else going on just trying to make my boy all better hate it when something is wrong

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Running through freshly mowed grass can certainly cause a flare up of contact dermatitis...no big deal. It usually will go away on its own but if it's stubborn and still visible after a few days, the Benadryl may help...2-3 pills twice a day depending on his weight. We usually dose 2 pills twice daily for any itchies that might pop up for our 35-45 lb bullies. Not sure how regular benadryl compares to childrens benadryl.
Scratching his belly and his leg going crazy doesn't mean he's itchy...he's just reacting to your stimulation.
Large raised reddish patches are hives...quarter--size and larger. Small red spots are contact dermatitis...smaller than a dime.

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
This is not the best pic because he wouldn't be still so u really can't see it that well but its like blotches under his hair and usually this spot does not make his leg go crazy usually it is only where the hair stops on his tummy and around his boobies lol
IMG_20170721_154626_545.jpg

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
And his last vet visit which was 2 wks ago he weighed 21.6 PDS and the children's is pretty much half of a adult it is 12.5 MG's and I called the vet today and asked dosage instructions for benadryl and she said not to exceed 1 mg per 1 pound of weight per day and I had given him a half at about 1am so 6.25 mg and another half at about 8 then I called the vet so I am going to give him another half at bed time an then tommorow at bed time I'll go ahead and give him the whole 1 1/2 so at least he won't be itchy while trying to sleep

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would give 1 mg/pound 2-3 times daily, which is about 25mg per dose 2-3 times daily. Next time buy the tablets or capsules to save money

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I would never suggest that someone do something different from what their Vet advises, BUT...that's a mighty light dose of Benadryl.
Dolly's Owner is right on with the correct dosage.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
And his last vet visit which was 2 wks ago he weighed 21.6 PDS and the children's is pretty much half of a adult it is 12.5 MG's and I called the vet today and asked dosage instructions for benadryl and she said not to exceed 1 mg per 1 pound of weight per day and I had given him a half at about 1am so 6.25 mg and another half at about 8 then I called the vet so I am going to give him another half at bed time an then tommorow at bed time I'll go ahead and give him the whole 1 1/2 so at least he won't be itchy while trying to sleep

As I stated on your other post... please do not use the children's version of Benadryl... use the regular adult stuff... 1mg per pound

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I read the ingredients on the children's and it uses sugar cubes as the sweetener so I thought in such a small dose it would b OK I know sugar is not good for them but I thought since it was so little of it I thought it wouldn't hurt him and next time I will just get the pill because for one I have to double up on it and for two it costs so much more for the children's chewables

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You shouldn't give Pepto to a dog under 1 year of age. For upset stomach/diarrhea, slippery elm is good. You can get the powder form and the dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per every 10 pounds. Also can give a little bit of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Both of mine have had watery eyes this summer, the pollen has been out of control. I started giving Walter zyrtec and that has helped tremendously... IMO it works better for the eyes then benadryl.

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
OK how much zyrtech would I give him he was 21 lbs 2 wks ago and he is 15 wks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK how much zyrtech would I give him he was 21 lbs 2 wks ago and he is 15 wks
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] .... I think it is one pill per day, sh=ince he is younger might be less --- see what tracey comes back with

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene .... I think it is one pill per day, sh=ince he is younger might be less --- see what tracey comes back with

I give Walter 1 zyrtec a day, but he weighs over 60 lbs. Maybe start w/a half-one a day he is way smaller.

Most Reactions