I feel like I have a very odd bulldog...

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
Hey guys! So Diesel just turned 7 months and he is a complete terror!! He barks constantly, tries to fight with my other dogs, he's hyper, and is just down right bad! Everything I read is that they are supposed to be so calm, don't bark much, easy going.. diesel is the complete opposite!!! I sent him to a board and train obedience where he stayed a month there with the trainer in his house... he also still comes to
The house to try and help me since he is no
Better!! Is this just s "phase" that should be expected in young bulldogs!!?? Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey guys! So Diesel just turned 7 months and he is a complete terror!! He barks constantly, tries to fight with my other dogs, he's hyper, and is just down right bad! Everything I read is that they are supposed to be so calm, don't bark much, easy going.. diesel is the complete opposite!!! I sent him to a board and train obedience where he stayed a month there with the trainer in his house... he also still comes to
The house to try and help me since he is no
Better!! Is this just s "phase" that should be expected in young bulldogs!!?? Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks so much!!

I know it's not funny...but it is! Ok ok...its a phase but... all these "supposed to be a calm breed?" NO, each dogs has their own character. Has nothing to do cause its an EB n they're lazy dogs n calm. Like kids, not one will be the same. You think yours is bad, should see Duke. He's almost 6 months old, barks, inhales food like a vacuum, does NOT listen whatsoever, steals Nyala's meals and even though you punish him and grab him to make him sit down, he still goes for her food, steals all her toys, she gets fed up grabs him like a rag tosses him across the yard and do you think he understood? No he goes back for more! Should see when he decides to go in my veggie garden, that's another story. He just does not stop n does not care. He's a little rebel. I know with more discipline, corrections, showing him you're not going to let him win, eventually they come around. It's patience, just plain patience and dont give up. YOUR the boss, you're the one that gave him a home, that feeds him so YOU wear the pants not a 7 month old dog. Like I said has nothing to do with EB. There's a lot of other breeds are like Diesel n Duke. Have you asked the trainer what exactly he's done on Diesel? Does Diesel act like so only with you or when your breeder is at your house, Diesel tries with him too? I used to train dobermans many years ago. Day n night comparing to an EB. But when I trained it was my full time job so you're basically one on one with the dog for hours 3-4 if not more. Owners dont put 3-4hrs a day on their dog as they go to work all day, come home prep the supper, kids, etc etc. So why I would ask the trainer what he did in a whole month and you dont see any improvement. Just bare in mind, Diesel is still a pup. Some needs more work on than others. Nyala was easy but Duke keeps me on my toes I can guarantee you that. And it's O.K. Oh and one more thing...Bulldogs are ALL odd!!! Lolll

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
I know it's not funny...but it is! Ok ok...its a phase but... all these "supposed to be a calm breed?" NO, each dogs has their own character. Has nothing to do cause its an EB n they're lazy dogs n calm. Like kids, not one will be the same. You think yours is bad, should see Duke. He's almost 6 months old, barks, inhales food like a vacuum, does NOT listen whatsoever, steals Nyala's meals and even though you punish him and grab him to make him sit down, he still goes for her food, steals all her toys, she gets fed up grabs him like a rag tosses him across the yard and do you think he understood? No he goes back for more! Should see when he decides to go in my veggie garden, that's another story. He just does not stop n does not care. He's a little rebel. I know with more discipline, corrections, showing him you're not going to let him win, eventually they come around. It's patience, just plain patience and dont give up. YOUR the boss, you're the one that gave him a home, that feeds him so YOU wear the pants not a 7 month old dog. Like I said has nothing to do with EB. There's a lot of other breeds are like Diesel n Duke. Have you asked the trainer what exactly he's done on Diesel? Does Diesel act like so only with you or when your breeder is at your house, Diesel tries with him too? I used to train dobermans many years ago. Day n night comparing to an EB. But when I trained it was my full time job so you're basically one on one with the dog for hours 3-4 if not more. Owners dont put 3-4hrs a day on their dog as they go to work all day, come home prep the supper, kids, etc etc. So why I would ask the trainer what he did in a whole month and you dont see any improvement. Just bare in mind, Diesel is still a pup. Some needs more work on than others. Nyala was easy but Duke keeps me on my toes I can guarantee you that. And it's O.K. Oh and one more thing...Bulldogs are ALL odd!!! Lolll

I forgot to add the rest of what I was going to say! At the trainers he is and was a complete angel!! I have been to the trainers with him and saw first hand... doesn't bark there, is well behaved, gets along with all dogs there.. when the trainer comes to my house, he is well behaved also!! He is doing this just around me!!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
He thinks he is the alpha at your house but the trainer is the alpha when he/she is around

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Lol..... it is kind of funny!!
Bella only listens when I call her name when she wants to. When she doesn't want to it's like she hasn't even heard a thing. Doesn't even glance at me. She'll keep doing what she wants to do until she is ready to come. She is a little terror outside with my banana tress. She likes to pull on the leaves she can reach. Sometimes a spray bottle will get her attention (not that she is afraid of water) I think it just startles her for a split second then she forgets what she was doing and goes on to the next thing. lol
She also terrorizes Tyson lol. He is really the only one that she likes to play with. He is 115 lbs and sometimes has enough but she won't stop so I have to put her away for a time out. He will listen and lay down but she won't stop.
I really don't like the fact that she won't come when called but she really doesn't even care about treats like that. I have always had dogs that at least listen when told to come. (Have had GS, boxers and pit bulls)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I forgot to add the rest of what I was going to say! At the trainers he is and was a complete angel!! I have been to the trainers with him and saw first hand... doesn't bark there, is well behaved, gets along with all dogs there.. when the trainer comes to my house, he is well behaved also!! He is doing this just around me!!

IMO, your trainer is good but not great. And I say this assuming one thing...he has failed to train YOU. That's either his/her fault or yours or a combination of both. Worry not though as this can be overcome. Let them know that you are ready for your training and with the 2 of you working together, you can take charge of Diesel, be the Alpha! If you don't or can't put the time into your training then you can expect more of the same.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO, your trainer is good but not great. And I say this assuming one thing...he has failed to train YOU. That's either his/her fault or yours or a combination of both. Worry not though as this can be overcome. Let them know that you are ready for your training and with the 2 of you working together, you can take charge of Diesel, be the Alpha! If you don't or can't put the time into your training then you can expect more of the same.

:goodpost: Absolutely... my Willow is amazing for my trainer, but is completely different w/me. YOU have to receive the training as well, and they need to be there and watch the interaction to see how Diesel reacts. It takes time and patience, but I'm sure he will come around.

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
I know all the training that he did.. he went over everything with me that Diesel should know.. he responds to commands and all of that fine with me.. He constantly barks at other people but only for me. The trainer has never heard him bark!! It's just so weird how he acts like a totally different dog around me!!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know all the training that he did.. he went over everything with me that Diesel should know.. he responds to commands and all of that fine with me.. He constantly barks at other people but only for me. The trainer has never heard him bark!! It's just so weird how he acts like a totally different dog around me!!

Lol. Sounds like he is protecting you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Ahhhh the complete story.... well now he's " just " taking over the household. That's where you come in and take over as the alpha of the house n especially him. Your trainer should be showing you how to do that. A good 90% of training should be on the owner before any dog. Issues usually comes from owners. Once an owner knows how to be the alpha of the house, the dog and "keeps" on top of everything, the dog will honor you.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree you have to be the alpha but know that some dogs (like my Bella) are a bit more stubborn. She has been my toughest. And as I stated before I have 115 lb (Pitt) and a 85 lb (Pitt) and a 65 lb (boxer) have had GS that all listened to me no matter what was going on around us.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yup, sounds like Diesel is still HE'S the boss, not you. The fact that he is an angel with the trainer says it all. YOU need to be the alpha and he needs to know it. Try the Nothing in Life Is Free technique. Basically, they have to earn and work for everything.

Like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] and her Duke, my Louie is anything but calm. He is a little wild child. So yeah, each dog has their own personality.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He thinks he is the alpha at your house
but the trainer is the alpha when he/she is around

Agree with Wes, YOU are not the Alpha!

Look up NILIF (Nothing in life is free) and start following that,
makes a huge difference. Bulldogs are strong willed, smart &
master manipulators, they run many a household & their people.
At 7 months, he is a rude, overbearing teenager driving you crazy!
If he's an angel at trainer's house & at your house when trainer visits
then you know he can do it & not some aberrant behavior in him.

He sure is a handsome boy for sure :)

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
Thank you so much everyone for all of your advice! I will look into that training method!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
BTW, the title of this post.... Arent ALL bulldogs odd? Lolll

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online