helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke has an issue eating fast like he doesn't want to miss any. Gave him his frozen smaller raw piece of meat and he's trying to chew with his newly teeth coming out. Had my back turned 5 SECONDS only and he's on his side choking like he's having a bad seizure. I immediately grabbed his neck n open his mouth and that chunk went right down. Probably went down with the stretch motion n opening his mouth. Scary sh*t!!!! If I wasnt near him or in the washroom or outside he was gone. He's good now. I think that scared him as he just went straight to lay down near Nyala. Poor Nyala was looking at him nudging him with her nose. :whew: glad this is over! The lesson is never leave till your dog till hes finished eating! I don't leave him cause Duke will go steel Nyala's food so I have no choice to stay there. Thank god I do.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Almost lost Duke 😞

Duke has an issue eating fast like he doesn't want to miss any. Gave him his frozen smaller raw piece of meat and he's trying to chew with his newly teeth coming out. Had my back turned 5 SECONDS only and he's on his side choking like he's having a bad seizure. I immediately grabbed his neck n open his mouth and that chunk went right down. Probably went down with the stretch motion n opening his mouth. Scary sh*t!!!! If I wasnt near him or in the washroom or outside he was gone. He's good now. I think that scared him as he just went straight to lay down near Nyala. Poor Nyala was looking at him nudging him with her nose. :whew: glad this is over! The lesson is never leave till your dog till hes finished eating! I don't leave him cause Duke will go steel Nyala's food so I have no choice to stay there. Thank god I do.

I'm so glad you saw him. When a Canelo was 6 months we had the same situation. I gave the pugs a chicken breast each and Canelo. I went to do dishes, Canelo behind me, I turn and see him rolling on the floor, foam coming out of his mouth and screamed "He's not breathing!" Between Husband and I, I picked Canelo up by his back legs hanging him upside down while Husband wrapped his arms around Canelo's middle doing the Heimlich. Breast popped out. Canelo didn't eat it, didn't want it. He came and snuggled next to me on the couch and stayed with me the rest of the night.

I know it was scary and great job catching Duke. We don't give Canelo large pieces of meat since that incident, they are cut up to bite size. He doesn't chew and enjoy his food like the pugs, he inhales. So now it looks like you'll have to keep an extra eye on Duke. Has your adrenaline rush returned to normal yet??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh Helene this just ripped my heart out!!! :( I'm so sorry for the horror, but so glad you were there to fix it so you know (I know you were already aware and all) without a doubt to be there when he eats.. Oh thank the heavens!!! This could have ended to be such a different day ,,

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
OH MY GOD...what a horrible thing!! I'm so glad you were right there and able to save him. These guys really don't know how to eat slowly and chew their food. I won't give them bones or large chunks of meat for that reason. I am too scared. Jax's raw are ground patties and that is what Louie will get to.

Poor baby Duke!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My heart dropped reading the title.... Thank goodness you stay with them! Great reflexes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think that would have aged me 5 years! Thank God you were there.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

I'm glad all is OK now. Scary stuff.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I swear I never went through terrible 2s with my kids. This one takes the cake! Keeps me on my toes for gray hair! Thank you all for your concern. He's ok back to himself being a Royal pain.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
OH MY GOD...what a horrible thing!! I'm so glad you were right there and able to save him. These guys really don't know how to eat slowly and chew their food. I won't give them bones or large chunks of meat for that reason. I am too scared. Jax's raw are ground patties and that is what Louie will get to.

Poor baby Duke!!

You give your raw frozen?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You give your raw frozen?

I buy frozen ground patties and it gets defrosted before eaten. Frozen green bison tripe too. I'm a vegetarian so that's as good as it's going to get. I don't want to see body parts lol.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
boy this all has been a lesson for sure... it just occurred to me,, I was making patty's, freezing them, and giving to hank frozen for a 'chew' meal... easly could have been bit into larger chunks!!! Lesson leaned!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.