It Never Ends - Venting

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Daphne went to the vet's 5 days ago for her ear infection. After we addressed the ear dilemma, the vet said, "She's too fat. Slim her down." I'm not giving her dog stew anymore. It was only 2 tablespoons on top of her kibble. She gets exactlyc1 cup of kibble in the morning and exactly 1 cup for dinner. Dry now. This month she's on Zignature Pork. She seldom gets a treat.
Her weight had gone up to 44.5 lbs. She's very short. Very stocky. I really don't know what to do anymore. She's very active. I think she's just a short stocky aka the other F word, Fat.

d4b6ad0f0eaadf73f7f6866099c52d09.jpg
ed9e7fd63f1c7cbdcedc1a8de51f9f9c.jpg
af8f5cdc6dc658749898a1c971681700.jpg
e3df788850e4ea470b675607bac10d59.jpg
be1c1bde7890b21aa3f22a037a1913fa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
She's a little on the chubby side but too young for it to be an issue. If it really concerns you, then cut her kibble back to 3/4 cup and add a 1/2 cup of unsalted green beans to it...the frozen kind is preferred(cooked of course). This will knock her weight back a bit but you must be diligent and minimize the treats or cut them out completely until she's got a defined waist.
Overall she's not that bad, IMO.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I look at photos of Maude at that age-she was fat! I didn't realize it at the time, but I think they go through a stage-just like children do-where everything is out of proportion! If you have a swimming pool-swimming is great exercise(with a life jacket)! I think you worry too much!

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
She's a little on the chubby side but too young for it to be an issue. If it really concerns you, then cut her kibble back to 3/4 cup and add a 1/2 cup of unsalted green beans to it...the frozen kind is preferred(cooked of course). This will knock her weight back a bit but you must be diligent and minimize the treats or cut them out completely until she's got a defined waist.
Overall she's not that bad, IMO.

Thank you. I really value your opinion. I'm doing the best I can with her. The vet's comments really threw me for a loop. It's one thing for strangers to call her fat, but another for her own vet to say it.

How's Pippy?

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
When I look at photos of Maude at that age-she was fat! I didn't realize it at the time, but I think they go through a stage-just like children do-where everything is out of proportion! If you have a swimming pool-swimming is great exercise(with a life jacket)! I think you worry too much!

Thank you. And yes we have a pool BUT this is Florida and it's in a screened lanai attached to the house. The doggie door to the backyard is in a screen panel where the man standing in first photo is. We've worked hard to keep Daphne leery of the pool. She has a life vest for the beach, but she can't wear it all day here at the house. It's 90+ degrees every day now. Our yard has invisible fence so the dogs are in and out all day long. The lanai runs across the whole back of the house. It's a tricky situation here.
e470fe301787387756fc2fc2ee037fb6.jpg
0d10ad1461df124d09e9f7f4397e603f.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Thank you. I really value your opinion. I'm doing the best I can with her. The vet's comments really threw me for a loop. It's one thing for strangers to call her fat, but another for her own vet to say it.

How's Pippy?
As far as I can tell she's coming right along. The Doc said that a couple of days after the surgery, her eye would get very red around the surgical site. It did. Then he said it would slowly get less and less red as it further heals. That's what it's doing. We give her 4 drops 5 minutes apart 2 times daily and have yet to miss a dose so we are being very diligent with her treatment. Not taking any chances on my little girl's sight. He also prescribed a daily drop of tacrolimus for the other eye to combat dry eye that is early stage. TY for asking.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Daphne went to the vet's 5 days ago for her ear infection. After we addressed the ear dilemma, the vet said, "She's too fat. Slim her down." I'm not giving her dog stew anymore. It was only 2 tablespoons on top of her kibble. She gets exactlyc1 cup of kibble in the morning and exactly 1 cup for dinner. Dry now. This month she's on Zignature Pork. She seldom gets a treat.
Her weight had gone up to 44.5 lbs. She's very short. Very stocky. I really don't know what to do anymore. She's very active. I think she's just a short stocky aka the other F word, Fat.

d4b6ad0f0eaadf73f7f6866099c52d09.jpg
ed9e7fd63f1c7cbdcedc1a8de51f9f9c.jpg
af8f5cdc6dc658749898a1c971681700.jpg
e3df788850e4ea470b675607bac10d59.jpg
be1c1bde7890b21aa3f22a037a1913fa.png

As I posted to you before.... do not be too concerned with her weight till she is over a year old.... Lambeau is 58 lbs and just now at age 2.5 showing signs of a waist line. My vet has not once said to me... he is fat or need to lose weight, he has always told me to watch them once they are matured because that is when the growing stops and the fat takes over. She is fine, nothing to be concerned about... stay your course.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
As I posted to you before.... do not be too concerned with her weight till she is over a year old.... Lambeau is 58 lbs and just now at age 2.5 showing signs of a waist line. My vet has not once said to me... he is fat or need to lose weight, he has always told me to watch them once they are matured because that is when the growing stops and the fat takes over. She is fine, nothing to be concerned about... stay your course.

Thank you. I am really trying. That's why I was concerned with what the vet said. Does 1 cup twice (we measure it) a day of dry high quality kibble seem like the right amount to you? The food manufacturer call for 2 to 2 1/2 cups per day 40 to 60lbs. That seems light a big weight range.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. I am really trying. That's why I was concerned with what the vet said. Does 1 cup twice (we measure it) a day of dry high quality kibble seem like the right amount to you? The food manufacturer call for 2 to 2 1/2 cups per day 40 to 60lbs. That seems light a big weight range.

1 cup twice a day is fine... they will always act like the haven't eaten, but with the 2 cups a day and small treats, she will be just fine. Thing is with Bulldog, they are so compact and not very tall the number on the scale sends people in a frenzy. if she is 2 yrs old, 14 inches high with no defined wait and 70Lbs... I'd be telling you different, but she is still under a year and has a full year of filling out to do.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I still think she's fine and when the vet says Canelo needs to loose weight I ask for the vet to set a goal. I've had two vets do this but couldn't set a goal because Canelo is a big dog. Make the vet set a goal if he hasn't. Canelo has a waist line, these dogs are built like tanks, bulky so if the vet wants her to loose weight he should set a goal.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I still think she's fine and when the vet says Canelo needs to loose weight I ask for the vet to set a goal. I've had two vets do this but couldn't set a goal because Canelo is a big dog. Make the vet set a goal if he hasn't. Canelo has a waist line, these dogs are built like tanks, bulky so if the vet wants her to loose weight he should set a goal.

He's a She...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He's a She...

Agree with Christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], Stay the course!

Please remember that doctors are not GOD and don't
know everything and aren't always right.

She's a young, growing, developing girl, a bit chubby
(as lots of kids are) but active & healthy. Let her body
do it's job, she needs her food, vitamins & minerals &
no dieting right now, she will slim down at the appropriate
time. Quit taking other people's (including vet) remarks to
heart, their opinions are just that & not Daphne's reality.

Quit worrying, have fun and enjoy her teenage time ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:slapping: the vet! Again....like said in other posts she's not fat! Duke n Nyala gets 2 cups a day. Real dry liver treats and that's it. Throw them a bone here n there but not every day. And yes NO stew as you have pasta in there n the skin of the legs. Don't top anything with it unless its for you. Looks delicious though. You have got to remember something, she's very active. If she stays active like you say, she'll be fine. And if I had a pool like that, I would be in it with my pups enjoying it everyday. Lol. Beautiful pool! Nice job!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.