Do too many compliments make you feel uncomfortable????

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
We take our Tubs with us whenever we can, so he goes a lot of places with us. Every Tuesday night we have puppy class, which he is doing awesome in. There are 3 other puppies (a lab, a boxer and an "I don't know"), but everyone seems to fall all over our Tubs. They keep saying out cute he is and what a great job he is doing. Other people from other classes come over just to see our little guy and rave over him. I am so glad he is putting so many smiles on so many people's faces, but the other puppies don't get the kind of attention he is getting. I feel uncomfortable because I don't know if the their owners are getting aggrivated that he is getting all of the attention! :D:eek:

I have a similar situation with my daughter. She is very smart and skipped kindergarten. When people question her age and her grade I explain the situation to them. I am very proud of her and her accomplishments, but I feel funny about saying she skipped a grade. I don't want people to think I am bragging, but I guess I have a right to brag!

I am very proud of my Tubs and my daughter, but I don't want others to be resentful! "I can't help it my kids our so wonderful!!!!" JUST KIDDING! :D:D

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I understand how you feel and what you mean. I would feel proud but also uncomfortable because you dont want the other puppy owners to resent you and Tubs. But that is out of your control. As for your daughter, I too was always carefull not to brag to much, but then again she is smart and its not like you are going around bragging about it to everyone(like some people i now do at work ) if i was to bragg I would be bragging all day long:D
So if someone is complementing Tubs or your daughter ,take it with pride!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Or, just tell them her age and grade. If they put 2 and 2 together, they might ask....and you have to respond with the truth, right? If they don't..they probably weren't the ones to skip a grade!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
haha I say eat it up. Thats what goes along with having a bully. People don't see them as much as labs etc so they do get more excited when they see them. Oh well...

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Taking a bulldog anywhere makes you a celeb...As for bragging during classes...Can't say I can relate with the bulldogs and their doing so well. Each had stubborn issues. Now Ahsoka was told she could be entered into an Obedience class and WIN! By the instructor...it was sort of a rush after having all the bulldogs not like to learn certain aspects of training. But Ahsoka is a "thinker" and loves to work for a person. Just give her a job...and she'll do it.

How old is your daughter by the way? That's an amazing brag...though in our school...they have "Gifted" classes and don't skip grades here. You stay in your grade...So pictures and such is with your classmates. But for the most part...you are then taken into another area where they teach gifted students. And only eat lunch and recess and possibly a special like library and gym do you interact with your classmates of your own grade.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Cheez, the one thing about Duke...:bully:....no matter where we walk....:angel:.....he is definitely a chick magnet. I'd just wish I'd had him when I was 21 and single instead of 55 balding and married over 31 years.:lol: Hmmmmmm? Maybe that's it? We are no threat.....so we are approachable!:idea: Damn! Why do I learn these lessons now!:LMAO:So anyways.........as long as you don't bring it up........and everyone else does........that's not bragging. Suck it up and enjoy it!:up:

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
@ cadillactaste...I have been pleasantly surprised that he is doing so well in puppy class. I was expecting the subborness of the bully, but he has not shown me that. He comes whenever I call him, he is house broken....they only problem I have that we are working on right now is that he loves to go with us so when someone grabs keys he runs to the door and someone has to hold him back because he will run out the door and stand right at the car. He will not sit/stay when is comes to going out the door!

My daughter is going to be 12 in May and is in 7th grade. She skipped kindergarten, or should I say she was there for 3 weeks! She was reading fluently at 3 and when she got to kindergarten she was finishing her work and going around helping everyone else in her class. I work in the same district, so our curriculum superviser approached me and asked me why she was in kindergarten to which I responded "because she's 5". He then went on to tell me that she scored the highest possible score on the kindergarten screening. They gave her a test that they give kids at the end of first grade to see if they are ready for 2nd grade and she blew that test away as well. When we moved her up she was in the gifted classes and continued to score advanced proficient on the state tests. I decided to move her up because kindergarten was her first experience of school of any kind and she is tall for her age, so she fits right in with her peers in her grade. They only problem I have with her now is that since everything came easy to her she lacks motivation and waits until the last minute to get projects and reports completed....Drives me nuts, but she is in all advanced classes and getting straight As so I guess I can't be too hard on her!

@ Mike...It is funny you said that because last week I met up with a friend and her two kids. We went to a small village we have around here that has all shops and eateries. The entire time we were there everyone was coming up to me and asking if they could pet our Tubs. She commented that I should have had him when I was looking for someone! I had to agree because I did have several men come up to me wanting to see our little man! (SHHHHH don't tell my husband! ;)) HEEEHEEEHEEEE I will take your advice and enjoy it! I know I am enjoying him more than I ever expected!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Well...that is a horn to toot. Good for your daughter...as for dragging feet and waiting until the last minute would drive me nuts. I've always taught the boys...to get it finished first thing...then you never have the stress of not having it done or cramming. But it seems to be working for her since she's still getting A's. I would think that not letting the stress get to her would also help her later in life. With that sort of attitude. But for me...my son freaks if I talk to another mother at the bus stop to long in the afternoon. For..."He's gotta get home to start his homework!" Which I'm glad I was able to instill that...for I spoke with a mother who has a child in my son's grade...REFUSES to do his homework. I knew another mother who told me this...she said..."I can't get him to do his homework, he comes home and jumps on his bike"...Me I'm thinking...Why does the bike still have a front tire on it? For it so would have been disassembled by me had my son refused to do homework and rode his bike instead. Sooo would not have a front tire. Consequence to ones actions...is a great way to get through to a child.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] people are approaching you and complimenting your beautiful pup and extra smart daughter :)
Your not shoving it in their faces your being a modest mom, take the compliment with a smile and enjoy that others recognise what you see daily xx

As for others being resentful, if they are then its their problem not yours be happy and enjoy xx

Members online

No members online now.