3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
Hi All!

I am positive this has been covered before so please feel free to link me to older posts :)

We are getting our sweet Josephine "Josie" in 3 weeks! She will be 10 weeks old. We have been debating back and forth on getting a second puppy. We've talked to her breeder and she's weighed in on which puppy would make a good pair based on temperaments.

I've googled till my eyes are bloodshot so from real life experiences what can you suggest? Terrible idea, great idea? Been there done that?

We have 2 teenagers and a 4 year old. I work part time so someone is always around the house.

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
I just brought my brother/sister bullies home last week! They.are.precious. Maybe I'm not a good person to ask if you're looking for someone to talk you out of it..we are having so much fun with them and love them so so much already!! Our plan was to buy 1 then we saw the 2 of them and it was literally impossible for us to take one and leave the other behind. My husband and I are a bit exhausted currently but you kinda forget when you see their sweet little faces! :) IMG_5951.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I never wanted 2. Trust me that was out of the question. Then got Duke. Absolutely great for each other. They are like glued together. They keep themselves busy when you dont have the time. I dont regret it!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with CW and Nelsonwheels, we also originally went to see one puppy and we couldn't leave his sister behind and brought them both home. The puppy stage is a little harder with two, but you're doing it at the same time and it's such a short stage that it goes by fast. They are great company for each other, they have each other to play with, and they're twice the fun. It's better and easier to bring them up together, because there is less chance of them not getting along if they are together from puppies, than to add another dog when the first one is older, there might be jealousy.
I've heard that two of the opposite sex is easier, as two females can be jealous of each other, and two males can be aggressive to each other, but I also know there are others on here that have two of the same sex with no problems.
My two guys are siblings and litter mates, so have been together since birth, I have one male named Bulldozer and his sister is Blossom. They are totally opposite in personalities, Dozer is laid back (lazy lol), doesn't like to walk and loves to snuggle all the time. Blossom is full of energy and will walk forever if we let her, she is totally food motivated, she's the Boss, and Dozer lets her, she's such a Diva, she is also a snuggle bug, but mostly on her time. Lol.
Whatever you decide, see if they get along together in a neutral place before bringing the second one home, and it should work out. I hope it works out for you, and I look forward to pictures of your babies. Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 141

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
If you have time energy and money for two, I think it's always nice to have a buddy... cant wait for pictures :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
2 2 2 2 2! [MENTION=17371]3bugsmom[/MENTION] So much fun! Of course, I love house training pups, and love seeing them play! Less biting you-as they entertain each other!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would in a heart beat, but be sure to get a male//female as it is easier and better chances of them getting along as they mature.

I have two now, and would never be without at least two... they keep each other company, occupied and balance things out well

OP
3bugsmom

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
Thank you all for such encouraging comments. Working on the hubs with the cost element. I think we went with a breeder that chargers more than the norm and hubs is now joking saying " don't you wish you went with xyz breeder because I would ok 2 from them " ����. We will see.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have 2 females and have been having problems with them getting jealous of each other and fighting over attention from other people and over toys. It's gotten better since I've cracked down on the stronger one and shown who's alpha, but it's always a worry for me. If you get two litter mates and keep them together right from when they were puppies, shouldn't be a problem, especially if one's male and one's female. Don't forget this can be a feisty breed when they are provoked.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
2 2 2 2 2! [MENTION=17371]3bugsmom[/MENTION] So much fun! Of course, I love house training pups, and love seeing them play! Less biting you-as they entertain each other!

You love house training puppies? Wanna come to Seattle and whip Louie into shape? Hahahaha...

OP
3bugsmom

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
I have 2 females and have been having problems with them getting jealous of each other and fighting over attention from other people and over toys. It's gotten better since I've cracked down on the stronger one and shown who's alpha, but it's always a worry for me. If you get two litter mates and keep them together right from when they were puppies, shouldn't be a problem, especially if one's male and one's female. Don't forget this can be a feisty breed when they are provoked.

Oh no :(. I've noticed a few of you suggest M/F. The breeder is suggesting another female based on the personality and pack dynamics with the girl we picked, as the little male that is available is " quite a handful".

OP
3bugsmom

3bugsmom

Jul 12, 2017
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie and Jack
You love house training puppies? Wanna come to Seattle and whip Louie into shape? Hahahaha...

How on earth do you love house training ???! I'm dreading it. It's worse than a 2 year old lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Might be ok, since my two were both acquired as adults and never met earlier. If you are a fairly alpha and experienced dog owner it's more likely to go well as they will see you as alpha.My two get along most of the time but when they fight, it's all of a sudden feral, and things get bloody. They lock jaws together,and have to be ripped apart, and the English bulldog has bitten the French bulldog quite forcibly on her leg just above the paw a few times. Bulldogs do tend to get a bit possessive of their owners so you run the risk of the two fighting if they get jealous for your attention.

Oh no :(. I've noticed a few of you suggest M/F. The breeder is suggesting another female based on the personality and pack dynamics with the girl we picked, as the little male that is available is " quite a handful".

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have two males, a 4 year old French Bulldog and 5 month old English Bulldog. It took awhile but they get along for the most part. The older one sometimes doesn't have the patience for a puppy but no serious incidents have occurred. I do wish I would have gotten a puppy when Jax was younger but I would think if you brought litter mates home, it might be okay with two females. I think anytime there is a multi dog home, there will be some issues. They may not love each other 100% of the time. Just make sure they both know you are alpha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
No way would I do that...
I started with 1 and went to 2
back to 1 and then to 2
then to 3 and then back to 2
then to 3 and finally 4, did I say finally? HAH!
back to 3 and then 2 then 3 and 4 again
then 3 and back down to 2 and ultimately 1
a few months later...back to 2 then 4 and within a couple months back to 2...UGH!
then 3 again, then 4, then 5 and 6
5 and 6 are rescues that may very well end up staying with us for the duration.
So, see where I'm going with this...you'll soon be running a kennel.
Have fun!...we certainly have.
:D :D :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.