sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Did Duke act normal when he went through this? My girl definitely is not feeling well today. She's been fine but this morning, she's just sleeping and didn't have much interest in her food. We are taking her to the vet as soon as they open.

Oh jeez, please keep us posted here, sending big bully hugs to Violet for sure!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
While I don't agree that antibiotics *must* be given for diarrhea, I think that since you are giving them you might want to also include a probiotic which can be given 2 hours after the antibiotic. It will help keep the good gut bacteria as antibiotics will kill it.

I believe [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] was recommending the antibiotics because of the blood, not just because of the diarrhea. Isn't she a Dr or am I thinking of soeone else?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Did Duke act normal when he went through this? My girl definitely is not feeling well today. She's been fine but this morning, she's just sleeping and didn't have much interest in her food. We are taking her to the vet as soon as they open.

He was fine. Still playing n eating. Like I said, I would never give meds at the same time. I so dont believe in vets pushing meds that wont even explain the definition of any meds or why the pet has to take. Im a certified EMR and not working in the field cause I have a business that is keeping me too busy. I can guarantee you that you cannot mix meds in one take and get it over with thinking "ok I took my meds" same with vitamin. Never mix certain vitamins with meds. That problem is number one why ambulance are dispatched.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

please keep us posted... :pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only reason I think they would prescribe antibiotics is if they suspect parvo-- but I would think they could find out with a quick glance through a microscope on that. Hopefully it's not giardia--- that also has blood in the stools and it is horrible. Also could be coccidia-- really it could be a number of things. Stress of a new home even! Until they are seen by a vet though (which you should do immediately!) there is no true way of knowing.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
We brought our EB pups home last Friday and noticed on a Sunday that Violet's poop was loose and that's continued. Then we noticed the same for Finn Monday evening which has continued. Yesterday, we noticed blood in both as well. We've take a stool sample to our vet and should hear back soon. Yesterday, I also started both pups on FortiFlora. I called the vet this morning and made them aware of the blood. They had not yet received the results of the sample but said they were going to go ahead and have an antibiotic ready for me to pick up.

My question.. should I go ahead and start the antibiotic? From what I've gathered here, I know there can be a few different things causing this and wasn't sure if I should give an antibiotic if this is stress or diet related, for example. The pups are eating Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice which I've also gathered from here that it's not the greatest. We just continued what the breeder recommended though after reading through this forum, we may switch to Fromme at some point.

Any advice on the antibiotic usage would be appreciated!

My girl has giardia. I'm so upset and feel awful. The vet gave Violet some fluids, an antibiotic injection and also sent home another antibiotic to give her in addition to the metronidazole that I picked up yesterday. I asked about parvo because I'm a worrier and the vet said if her stool sample did not show a parasite, she would be more concerned about parvo. If Violet isnt better and actually worse after 24 hours, we will take her back in. Both Finn and Violet have appointments on Saturday anyway for shots so she will be looked at again then too. i wash their bedding and crate pads regularly anyway (just did last night actually) as well as their bowls. Anything else I may be missing?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
My girl has giardia. I'm so upset and feel awful. The vet gave Violet some fluids, an antibiotic injection and also sent home another antibiotic to give her in addition to the metronidazole that I picked up yesterday. I asked about parvo because I'm a worrier and the vet said if her stool sample did not show a parasite, she would be more concerned about parvo. If Violet isnt better and actually worse after 24 hours, we will take her back in. Both Finn and Violet have appointments on Saturday anyway for shots so she will be looked at again then too. i wash their bedding and crate pads regularly anyway (just did last night actually) as well as their bowls. Anything else I may be missing?

I am PRAYING for Violet!!!! I don't know a ton about giardia, but I think that IS caused by a parasite, but not sure. Maybe help from more knowledgeable members. BULLY HUGS !!! Keep us posted!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sorry to hear about the giardia. Yes, it is a parasite. But it is highly common especially in young puppies like yours. Be sure to always wash your hands and bedding, etc. And know there is a good chance that Finn will get it too, especially if they are drinking out of the same bowl.

My Frenchie has had it twice, the first time being when we got him. He was put on Panacur both times and it cleared up after one treatment. There have been cases where multiple treatments are necessary.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry to hear about the giardia. Yes, it is a parasite. But it is highly common especially in young puppies like yours. Be sure to always wash your hands and bedding, etc. And know there is a good chance that Finn will get it too, especially if they are drinking out of the same bowl.

My Frenchie has had it twice, the first time being when we got him. He was put on Panacur both times and it cleared up after one treatment. There have been cases where multiple treatments are necessary.

Yes.. it is very contagious!! Clean and bleach if she goes in the house and try to keep Finn away from where she poos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
And since you know it's giardia it's a good idea to retreat in a few weeks since it does tend to come back otherwise from ingesting the eggs (cysts). Very important to wash dog from head to toe and environment on last day of treatment.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

So glad you took her in & she's dx'ed, don't beat yourself up!
As with Lisa [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], I suspected giardia, poor pup :(
I would delay giving them shots on Saturday (Finn may have
this too or get it). Both giardia & the meds given are hard on
their systems so give time to build gut health back up. Never
give shots to sick pups or with weakened immune systems. A
month of delay to get them well should do the trick just avoid
them out & about until all shots have been given. Better safe
than sorry! Group hugs for all & lots of rest, you are a great
Mama, give yourself credit :) Praying over y'all. XOXO

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Dont feel bad. At least you know what it is . Duke was stress cause of a new home and playing hard. I would ask your vet Saturday if the shots can wait till Violet is recover from giardia. Cause that's going to be a lot of meds for a little 7 month old. See what she thinks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
And since you know it's giardia it's a good idea to retreat in a few weeks since it does tend to come back otherwise from ingesting the eggs (cysts). Very important to wash dog from head to toe and environment on last day of treatment.

Very true! All infected pets should be retested 2 to 4 weeks after completion of treatment. Good point!!

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet

Very true! All infected pets should be retested 2 to 4 weeks after completion of treatment. Good point!!

I told my husband last night that we are definite retesting! And thank you guys for bringing up delaying Violet's shots. I'm going to do that as well! Violet this morning compared to Violet yesterday morning is like a whole new pup. She's playing with her brother right now and after going out to potty this morning, she was sitting in the laundry room looking at the cabinet where we keep their food. She's so hungry. The vet gave us some canned food, bland stuff, and she liked it last night but not so much today. She keeps wanting to go over and eat Finn's kibble. Also drinking, I'm really not seeing her drink much water at all and I don't want her to get dehydrated. She was yesterday and the vet gave her some fluids. Anything I can do get get her to drink more??

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Try adding a little chicken broth to her water and or water to her food. That will usually get them motivated.
Alternatively, you can make Knox blocks and feed her water in a gelatinous form. Knox gelatin mixed with chicken broth will keep her hydrated.
This is what we use for our MINI.

http://sidneyme.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-hydration-with-knox-blox.html

You needn't be concerned about feeding from a chair, that's just for Mega E dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.