CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
We brought our EB pups home last Friday and noticed on a Sunday that Violet's poop was loose and that's continued. Then we noticed the same for Finn Monday evening which has continued. Yesterday, we noticed blood in both as well. We've take a stool sample to our vet and should hear back soon. Yesterday, I also started both pups on FortiFlora. I called the vet this morning and made them aware of the blood. They had not yet received the results of the sample but said they were going to go ahead and have an antibiotic ready for me to pick up.

My question.. should I go ahead and start the antibiotic? From what I've gathered here, I know there can be a few different things causing this and wasn't sure if I should give an antibiotic if this is stress or diet related, for example. The pups are eating Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice which I've also gathered from here that it's not the greatest. We just continued what the breeder recommended though after reading through this forum, we may switch to Fromme at some point.

Any advice on the antibiotic usage would be appreciated!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION] First thing I worry about with young pups/blood in stool/diarhea is Parvo. Could also be stress. With Parvo,it has a horrible smell(worse than normal)
One of my pups had blood in stool(not loose) and it turned out she NEEded grain free. Make sure those babies do not get dehydrated. Give them the antibiotic and they really should be seen by your vet for a check-up! They could also have coccidiosis.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh poor pups!! I can't really give advice on the antibiotic, just opinion, BUT I can tell you that even though Joey was "dewormed" she had awful loose stools and WORMS. I would start one thing at a time, me personally would not start the antibiotic until I was sure the pups were treated properly for worms. The kind of worms pups get are really NORMAL, you can actually see the little buggers, ewwww. But they really can upset normal digestion. After one day on the medication Joey was wonderful!!
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] (Lynn) has given great advice and has been at this a lot longer than I, just my experience with Joey :)

I agree on changing the food but again, not too much change at the same time. When you do begin to change their food, nice and slow, gradually.

Did the vet suggest a de-worming medication? Especially give their age?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] So many possible diagnoses-pups need a check-up!

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
[MENTION=17358]CW2223[/MENTION] First thing I worry about with young pups/blood in stool/diarhea is Parvo. Could also be stress. With Parvo,it has a horrible smell(worse than normal)
One of my pups had blood in stool(not loose) and it turned out she NEEded grain free. Make sure those babies do not get dehydrated. Give them the antibiotic and they really should be seen by your vet for a check-up! They could also have coccidiosis.

That's where my mind goes as well. :( We have an appointment with the vet this upcoming Saturday anyway but if we don't see the poo improving once starting the antibiotic, we'll go before. The breeder recommended pumpkin to help with the loose stools. Should I try that now as well? I don't want to do too much that might make anything harder on their bellies. Other than that, they appear to be fine and playful and eating/drinking like normal.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
New puppies.....new home....Probiotic.....Antibiotic....Lots going on here, and they are sooooooo young. Maybe visit to the vet before Saturday, and one thing at a time to see what is working. The pumpkin works great unless there is an underlying cause

"When you hear hoof beats think horse, not zebra" :) (meaning try not to worry, probably most common thing)

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
Oh poor pups!! I can't really give advice on the antibiotic, just opinion, BUT I can tell you that even though Joey was "dewormed" she had awful loose stools and WORMS. I would start one thing at a time, me personally would not start the antibiotic until I was sure the pups were treated properly for worms. The kind of worms pups get are really NORMAL, you can actually see the little buggers, ewwww. But they really can upset normal digestion. After one day on the medication Joey was wonderful!!

[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] (Lynn) has given great advice and has been at this a lot longer than I, just my experience with Joey :)

I agree on changing the food but again, not too much change at the same time. When you do begin to change their food, nice and slow, gradually.

Did the vet suggest a de-worming medication? Especially give their age?

I didn't really get much info. I explained everything to the person that answered the phone and she went and asked the vet. All she came back with was the stool sample lab work isn't back yet but that they will have an antibiotic ready for me to pick up. They already have an appointment scheduled for this upcoming Saturday and just saw the vet last Saturday for a checkup after we got home with them. Should I take them in sooner?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I didn't really get much info. I explained everything to the person that answered the phone and she went and asked the vet. All she came back with was the stool sample lab work isn't back yet but that they will have an antibiotic ready for me to pick up. They already have an appointment scheduled for this upcoming Saturday and just saw the vet last Saturday for a checkup after we got home with them. Should I take them in sooner?

I would take them sooner OR look at their butts (sorry, yes you can see these little worms) also in their stool. They look like grains of rice. Did the breeder say they were de-wormed? Joey's did and I still had to get meds for her. The worms are really really common, passed through mother's milk I believe and pup to pup.

Luvmybulldog61

Jul 12, 2017
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Gracie
My puppy had blood in her stool a while back. I took a stool sample to vet. It was a parasite . He gave me meds to give her and took care for it . Not sure the correct spelling of parasite . coccaidia? Something along that line

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Tagged some breeders for you.

Agree with others, so many changes, any could cause loose stools
plus added factor of common puppy issues. Main thing is to watch
for signs of dehydration & act immediately. Stop currant food as it's
not what you want to keep feeding, put on bland diet, white rice &
boiled, well drained hamburger, add 1 TBSP of pure pumpkin (not
the pie filling), it won't upset tummies further. Make sure they are
drinking plenty of fresh water (use stainless steel bowls for drinking
& eating). Later, switch to Fromm's Puppy. If they become lethargic
take to Vet before Saturday. Sending love & prayers it's a simple fix.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Can definitely be a million different possibilities. Personally, I wouldn't start an antibiotic until I knew it was actually needed (but that's just me). It could be a parasite or it could very well just be from the stress of a new home. When Louie came home, he had loose stool for about a week. And if I remember correctly, [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] dealt with the same thing with Duke and he had blood in the stool as well. It is also not uncommon for puppies to go home having some sort of parasite. That happened with my Jax and I know it's happened to others as well.

You can try a bland diet and add in a little bit of pure pumpkin to see if helps while you wait for the fecal results. And as others have stated, a vet visit is a good idea if you haven't done one already.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
In case of bloody diarrhoea in young dogs there is no discussion- you need to give them antibiotics! Don't lose time. Blood equals raw walls of intestine bleeding so blood vessels are exposed to fecal matter and bacteria. In a puppy that young it can cause deadly complications in a matter of days. Start antibiotic IMMEDIATELY.

OP
C

CW2223

Jul 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn & Violet
In case of bloody diarrhoea in young dogs there is no discussion- you need to give them antibiotics! Don't lose time. Blood equals raw walls of intestine bleeding so blood vessels are exposed to fecal matter and bacteria. In a puppy that young it can cause deadly complications in a matter of days. Start antibiotic IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks everyone! I picked up the antibiotic and she also gave me a de-wormer to give to both pups. I've gone ahead and given them their first round of antibiotics and de-wormer. I called the breeder and she sent their stool sample to the lab on 7/5/17 and it came back negative. The stool sample I submitted yesterday has not yet come back but they will call me as soon as it does.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks everyone! I picked up the antibiotic and she also gave me a de-wormer to give to both pups. I've gone ahead and given them their first round of antibiotics and de-wormer. I called the breeder and she sent their stool sample to the lab on 7/5/17 and it came back negative. The stool sample I submitted yesterday has not yet come back but they will call me as soon as it does.

Right decision! Negative poop sample is very possible, as the initial cause of this diarrhoea can be quite innocent- not necessarily some special awful bacteria or parasite. It can be stress from moving to a new home, or something else. But if diarrhoea started, wasn't addressed and progressed, and became bloody - you have to use antibiotics or other antibacterial medicines, they will make content of intestines clean enough to facilitate healing of intestinal wall.
Normally we have bacteria that eat remnants of food we couldn't absorb. In case of diarrhoea nutrients aren't absorbed because of inflammation of gastrointestinal tract caused with stress or unsuitable food, or allergy ( also can be infection) and even normal bacterial inhabitants of gastrointestinal tract "go bananas" in this cocktail of food remnants and can cause trouble. They multiply like crazy. decompose food, producing toxins and causing even more irritation and inflammation of intestinal walls. More inflammation - less absorption - more food for bacteria. Vicious circle!
Thats why I always say, that even light diarrhoea must be taken seriously as it can start cascade of pathological changes leading to serious trouble.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Super! I hope that Finn and Violet respond quickly! Hmmmm maybe some recent photos might help us not worry too much :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.