Y'all, I'm in need of my people AGAIN. I think Ranger may be depressed (if doggie depression is a thing)

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Awwwwwwwwa poor little thing......All you need is another little Ranger! When you have another dog they keep each other company. I swear it works!! Why i got Duke. It takes a few days before Ranger comes back to be himself. He'll get use to it but to be honest with you, 2nd dog will help Ranger.

&helsonwheels we've talked about getting another baby but I just don't think I could handle it right now [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
[MENTION=16788]Ranger777[/MENTION] Poor Ranger!! I travel A TON (construction and mining equipment auctions and appraisals) all I can say is FACE TIME :) Joey is quite happy staying with my sister who only lives a road away BUT as she got older it was apparent when I was gone that she would anticipate my return, mope around, and that made me feel bad. When I go (not as long as our guys) it's only for days or a week at a time, not months. When I am not on the road I work from home.

Is it possible to set up a daily face time session ?
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] we have tried FaceTime and it literally sent him into an almost two hour panic/frenzy because he physically couldn't find his daddy. No more FaceTime for us! [emoji20]

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Sure he misses Dad, without question. But he's depressed because he can't go fishing. Pull the boat out of the barn and take him fishing. You don't have to catch anything...just go.
Or, I'll be happy to babysit him for 8 months. I'll take him shark fishing...he'll go nuts over that!
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] I can't take him out on the big bass boat without my husband but I can and will take him out in our small boat and see if that helps at all. Thank you for the suggestion!
And thanks for the offer but NO WAY SIR will my baby go shark fishing [emoji23]

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Bullies are such an emotional breed, why we love them
so deeply and also why they can drive us batty!

Agree with all great advice above, get another,
take him fishing, do face time...any or all of these :)

He will adjust tho, bullies are also TOUGH.

I worry more about your husband. ;)

My Beloved also worked for long periods of time away
from us most of our 28 yrs together. Takes special type
of people to make that work but it did for us and long
periods of time together was sweet & very special.

Hugs to y'all & prayers of blessings & protection, XOXO
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] thank you! It seems you understand all too well the demands and adjustments we all have on us. It's very hard but God is faithful and we always make it through. It's just a moment in time. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts for us!! ❤️

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
They definitely get depressed. Bulldogs are attached to their humans. Anytime me or my husband leave for more than a day or two Tyson gets sad, depressed, and makes himself sick. This is why we can never got anywhere unless he's going with us.

Like many other mentioned, give him extra love, spoiling, try to do some of the things your husband did with him. Tyson loves going for rides so if I see him down in the dumps when my husband is gone, I'll take him for car rides, to the park, etc. I think its very common with bullies sadly, all you can do is give extra momma loving, and maybe start up some new things to do with him in place of the things he did with hubs.
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] he's starting to get better. It's been a week now. He still hides in the closet if he can. But he is coming back around to being MY baby again. It's Texas so it's super hot everyday ALL DAY but I've been letting him ride on the Ranger with me early in the morning and evening to feed the horses and my daughter and I took him swimming yesterday, he loves it! I can definitely tell he still misses his dad but he isn't as mopey as he was. Thank you for all of your advice!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] we have tried FaceTime and it literally sent him into an almost two hour panic/frenzy because he physically couldn't find his daddy. No more FaceTime for us! [emoji20]

YIKES !!! Sorry.....

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
If I leave Oswald home with AJ for even a few hours, he cries, and cries, and cries. He'll go under the couch and not come out til I'm home, he'll sit by the patio door and wait for the car to come back...

And it's not that he doesn't love AJ to bits... he absolutely does. He's just so totally bonded to me that he literally gets depressed when I'm not there. Thus, I do everything I can to take him with me whenever possible when I go someplace. They definitely do get depressed. I've never had a dog bond to me like my baby boy, and the bullies I have had in the past have all had a much stronger bond to me than any other type of dog I've ever had.

He's probably hiding in the closet because the clothes have your husband's scent. I would 100% just try to keep him occupied while your husband is away and rebond with him yourself. Think about it this way... When humans are depressed is it best to sit about and mope or to get out and get your mind off your troubles? I think it's the same with bullies. Hang out with him a lot and get his mind off his troubles. :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] he's starting to get better. It's been a week now. He still hides in the closet if he can. But he is coming back around to being MY baby again. It's Texas so it's super hot everyday ALL DAY but I've been letting him ride on the Ranger with me early in the morning and evening to feed the horses and my daughter and I took him swimming yesterday, he loves it! I can definitely tell he still misses his dad but he isn't as mopey as he was. Thank you for all of your advice!

Sooooo happy he's coming around! It will get better day by day [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thats sad!! I do Industrial Electric work and have traveled a lot over the years but am trying to stay home now since I have Chunky. I am a bachelor so if I traveled I would have to find someone to stay here with him or figure out a way to take him with me.

I miss the money I made on the road but enjoy being home.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Poor Ranger!
Bella could and would keep him busy!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh this is heartbreaking... my hubby works out of town a lot as well, but our dogs seem attached to momma (SHE who controls the food... LMAO!). My issue is Willow is attached to my grandson, and we only see him a couple of times a month. This summer has been hard for her because we've had him here for weeks at a time. She mopes around for a couple of days when he's gone. I give her a couple of days, and then we are back to our "normal"... I think the key is to keep them entertained and on a schedule. Try some new toys or take him somewhere new... I would start some new adventures that only YOU both do together so he has something to look forward to.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
&helsonwheels we've talked about getting another baby but I just don't think I could handle it right now [emoji85]

I would take photos and send one everyday to hubby! With a remark like....SEE..SEEE...WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO OUR BABY!?!?!

Rub it in :p lolll

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.