Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The story of how you got your bulldog ...

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The story of how you got your bulldog ...

Good topic!

My most interesting bulldog acquisition was my first dog, Bentley - mostly because I didn't want him. (I know, I know!)

When my fiancé (now husband) Dave and I bought our first home, he immediately started begging me for a dog. I didn’t want one at all. I was never a “dog person.” Blame it on being nipped as a child, but I never wanted a dog. But to be fair, I went with Dave to look at puppies and dogs faithfully for about a month at the Humane Society. We saw so many dogs but they were so big and so active and I wasn't sure. I sort of liked the English Bulldog's good looks and I found an ad for Bentley in the paper. The last of his litter, Bentley needed a home. He was four months old. So we went to see him and as soon as we saw him, I knew Dave wasn’t going to let me go home without him. So Bentley became part of our family.

It wasn’t long before I realized I had no idea what taking care of a dog entailed. Bentley was noisy, he drooled, he peed, he stunk, and he wanted my attention all the time! Besides, I was a neat freak and that doesn’t exactly work with having a bulldog. After a few days of crying, whelping, and being naughty, I reached my breaking point. I was trying to study for my doctoral exams at the time, which was tremendously stressful, when Bentley decided to slurp up some water and drool on my laptop then chewed up some of my papers. I had enough.

When Dave came home, I told him Bentley had to go – we were in over our heads, I said. Dave was resistant of course, but in the end, I was the one taking care of Bentley so I began to search for his new home. It wasn’t long before I realized that I need to get Bentley neutered before he found his new place as he had taken to humping my leg. So without a second thought, I made the appointment. Drop Bentley off the night before, pick him up the next day after 4 PM – no problem. Or so I thought.

The day came to drop Bentley off at the vet’s and I ended up having to take him by myself. So we went into the vet’s office, Bentley oblivious to the plan I had hatched against him. As we waited, I watched Bentley go back and forth between my legs, looking up at me and I felt a little something in my throat. This feeling began to rise and before I knew it, I was in tears. I didn’t want to leave him. I didn’t want to leave my little doggy.

By the time we got into the vet’s office, I was hysterical. Bentley hid behind my legs, sure that his mommy would protect him. Bentley went for surgery but I was positive at that moment that I’d fallen in love with him somewhere along the way. I didn’t want to be away from him ever again.

It’s not a thing I am proud of but it’s a story I like to tell whenever people think they cannot change or a dog cannot improve their lives. Bentley has improved mine in so many ways that the only way I could think of to say thank you, is to get him a brother and best friend to hang around with all day. Enter Linus!

Anyway, that's pretty embarrassing...

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Good topic!

My most interesting bulldog acquisition was my first dog, Bentley - mostly because I didn't want him. (I know, I know!)

When my fiancé (now husband) Dave and I bought our first home, he immediately started begging me for a dog. I didn’t want one at all. I was never a “dog person.” Blame it on being nipped as a child, but I never wanted a dog. But to be fair, I went with Dave to look at puppies and dogs faithfully for about a month at the Humane Society. We saw so many dogs but they were so big and so active and I wasn't sure. I sort of liked the English Bulldog's good looks and I found an ad for Bentley in the paper. The last of his litter, Bentley needed a home. He was four months old. So we went to see him and as soon as we saw him, I knew Dave wasn’t going to let me go home without him. So Bentley became part of our family.

It wasn’t long before I realized I had no idea what taking care of a dog entailed. Bentley was noisy, he drooled, he peed, he stunk, and he wanted my attention all the time! Besides, I was a neat freak and that doesn’t exactly work with having a bulldog. After a few days of crying, whelping, and being naughty, I reached my breaking point. I was trying to study for my doctoral exams at the time, which was tremendously stressful, when Bentley decided to slurp up some water and drool on my laptop then chewed up some of my papers. I had enough.

When Dave came home, I told him Bentley had to go – we were in over our heads, I said. Dave was resistant of course, but in the end, I was the one taking care of Bentley so I began to search for his new home. It wasn’t long before I realized that I need to get Bentley neutered before he found his new place as he had taken to humping my leg. So without a second thought, I made the appointment. Drop Bentley off the night before, pick him up the next day after 4 PM – no problem. Or so I thought.

The day came to drop Bentley off at the vet’s and I ended up having to take him by myself. So we went into the vet’s office, Bentley oblivious to the plan I had hatched against him. As we waited, I watched Bentley go back and forth between my legs, looking up at me and I felt a little something in my throat. This feeling began to rise and before I knew it, I was in tears. I didn’t want to leave him. I didn’t want to leave my little doggy.

By the time we got into the vet’s office, I was hysterical. Bentley hid behind my legs, sure that his mommy would protect him. Bentley went for surgery but I was positive at that moment that I’d fallen in love with him somewhere along the way. I didn’t want to be away from him ever again.

It’s not a thing I am proud of but it’s a story I like to tell whenever people think they cannot change or a dog cannot improve their lives. Bentley has improved mine in so many ways that the only way I could think of to say thank you, is to get him a brother and best friend to hang around with all day. Enter Linus!

Anyway, that's pretty embarrassing...
    Aaww ... that's such a nice story! Nothing to be embarassed about at all!!!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

We lost our Lab, I have a beagle and didn't want anymore. My son wouldn't shut up about a puppy and started doing research on EBs. A breed I wouldn't have chosen off the top of my head. Did my research, discussed with the hubby at length. Time of start of my research until we got Bear, about 1 month. Best decision of my life and I haven't had one bad moment with him at all.
    I didn't do it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads