Pink Eye, UGH!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
We got home from the movies today and Canelo's left eye is swollen, red, and discharging, the right eye looks like it starting to flare up. I took makeup wipes and cleaned the discharge from his eyes and the area around his eyes. He looks so miserable, didn't stop him from eating his dinner though, lol. I've been researching remedies until we can go to the vet Monday morning, they open at 7 am.

I do have cipro 500 mg tabs the vet gave me to cover Chug when he had his UTI, it was a refill for just in case. I'm reading too to see if this antibiotic may be used for conjunctivitis, not sure if it's in the right class though. I really wish Monday morning was here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We got home from the movies today and Canelo's left eye is swollen, red, and discharging, the right eye looks like it starting to flare up. I took makeup wipes and cleaned the discharge from his eyes and the area around his eyes. He looks so miserable, didn't stop him from eating his dinner though, lol. I've been researching remedies until we can go to the vet Monday morning, they open at 7 am. I do have cipro 500 mg tabs the vet gave me to cover Chug when he had his UTI, it was a refill for just in case. I'm reading too to see if this antibiotic may be used for conjunctivitis, not sure if it's in the right class though. I really wish Monday morning was here.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont know much on meds as I never had to use any except for a couple times some antibiotics. Wait got to knock on wood.....:rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog: :whew:

Cant you go buy benadryl? I would start with that before trying an antibiotic that's maybe not meant for his eye issue.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor baby :( feel better soon, Canelo! Sorry I don't have any experience on this one, other eye stuff (corneal ulcers, cherry eye) but not conjunctivitis. Murray and I are sending hugs and healing thoughts your way

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There is a prescription cipro eye drop for humans, so it is a useful antibiotic for eye infections, but taking cipro orally can rarely cause tendon rupture and clostridia difficile colitis, so I would rather give my dog Vetericyn eye drops until I can take my dog to the vet. I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, since no prescription is required.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Poor baby. Hope all is better soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I used my Colodial silver to quickly clear up my own pink eye....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I used my Colodial silver to quickly clear up my own pink eye....

Was at the health food store yesterday n saw that right smack in front of me. Kept telling myself "I know I need that" and went to pick up my other stuff and.....dammm forgot the colodial silver! Lol

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Was at the health food store yesterday n saw that right smack in front of me. Kept telling myself "I know I need that" and went to pick up my other stuff and.....dammm forgot the colodial silver! Lol

haha,,, oops!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you have Banix or Vetricyn wound spray you can spray that into eyes, not just on wounds.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
If you have Banix or Vetricyn wound spray you can spray that into eyes, not just on wounds.

I'm confused.... You could put the spray Vetricyn in the eyes? and,,, not wounds?? I'm thinking that that's what it's for????

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
They are both wound sprays ( although Vetricyn also makes eye drops ) however I've read comments on the web that people have sprayed Vetricyn wound spray in their dog's eyes, and it says on the Banix site that you can spray it in the dog's eyes.

I'm confused.... You could put the spray Vetricyn in the eyes? and,,, not wounds?? I'm thinking that that's what it's for????

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
They are both wound sprays ( although Vetricyn also makes eye drops ) however I've read comments on the web that people have sprayed Vetricyn wound spray in their dog's eyes, and it says on the Banix site that you can spray it in the dog's eyes.

well, always something new :) I did get the Vetricyn eye goo to have on hand, but spray would have been easier as hank loves me to spray water or whatever in his face... Like, when I do the silver, instead of drops, I just spray them and easy peasy...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8376]Canelospeeps[/MENTION] How are Canelo's eyes today? What did the Vet say?

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
[MENTION=8376]Canelospeeps[/MENTION] How are Canelo's eyes today? What did the Vet say?

It's conjunctivitis and he gave me the antibiotic eye drops. Canelo has been an excellent patient, everyone at the vet loves him, he's dropped 5 lbs with the rolled food I have him on, got a thumbs up on his skin, coat and ears. He got lots of love and attention there so he was happy, except when they took his temp, lol. He's also sat still and let me clean him up through out the day.

I have been cleaning his face with wipes and I have been laughing at Husband. If a bogie is in either eye I'm cleaning it. They have been large and sticky. As I'm removing them and they stretch not letting go of the eye, Husband starts to gag, lolllllllll!!!! I can't stand to see him with gunky eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear that he is getting the meds, and being so good. How could anyone NOT love Canelo-I do!:heart: As for hubby-:bad: ain't he tough :giggle:

Most Reactions