Missing hair

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Been a few weeks now. Doesnt seem to enlarge just a few tiny spots of hair lost. I put CO and he's had a few baths very well rinse as i used the hose lol. Cant pinpoint it. It's been 3 weeks. I know what most will say as i said it too but after 3weeks...eeeeehhhh. He eats, he plays, he's just his normal self. If he wasnt himself i would be more concern and at the vet. Any thoughts?

7fca1c75e50eaa8c76b01f130fa1ab07.jpg
7b07cbc5ab588386ac227d85187c5c65.jpg
d41f65f39f030712e34895e719c5fc98.jpg
569f3831c06c06d4dac81dbe67ef06f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Been a few weeks now. Doesnt seem to enlarge just a few tiny spots of hair lost. I put CO and he's had a few baths very well rinse as i used the hose lol. Cant pinpoint it. It's been 3 weeks. I know what most will say as i said it too but after 3weeks...eeeeehhhh. He eats, he plays, he's just his normal self. If he wasnt himself i would be more concern and at the vet. Any thoughts?

7fca1c75e50eaa8c76b01f130fa1ab07.jpg
7b07cbc5ab588386ac227d85187c5c65.jpg
d41f65f39f030712e34895e719c5fc98.jpg
569f3831c06c06d4dac81dbe67ef06f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

George had the exact same thing and we went to the vet it wasn't much he gave an antibiotic and it does take its time to grow back but it wasn't a big issue and hasn't happened since (that was about 12 months ago). I'm sorry I can't think of the exact name of the issue. Might be worth a trip to the vet though it might need an antibiotic just to clear it up. I hate giving meds but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Wishing you and bully all the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Is the skin scaly where the hair is missing? Canelo had a lot of issues like this and I kept switching foods. Fromms beef frittata is good for him but six weeks ago I took all three dogs off kibble all together and started feeding them Pet Fresh while I started researching raw diets and looking at raw diet rolls prepped and reviews. His skin and yeast issues have disappeared. Getting him off kibble 100% seems to have fixed Canelo's issues and he's lost weight. His coat looks awesome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
George had the exact same thing and we went to the vet it wasn't much he gave an antibiotic and it does take its time to grow back but it wasn't a big issue and hasn't happened since (that was about 12 months ago). I'm sorry I can't think of the exact name of the issue. Might be worth a trip to the vet though it might need an antibiotic just to clear it up. I hate giving meds but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Wishing you and bully all the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since he is under a year... it could be mange. I would have scrape done to rule it out... otherwise it is most likely low level staph

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
His skin looks very nice n clean. I dont see anything at all. Just missing hair that's all I see

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Since he is under a year... it could be mange. I would have scrape done to rule it out... otherwise it is most likely low level staph Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My breeder said this and I wanted to know if it made sense. I did tell her ther is no bumps and she said she understood.

They can gets* spots, puppy acne.... use the Advantage multi for a few treatments, about two weeks apart. Some of my bullies get...it goes away with age...or at least mine did.. Some puppies get these bumps, and they seem to fade with age..I treat with my dewormer, Advantage multi..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My breeder said this and I wanted to know if it made sense. I did tell her ther is no bumps and she said she understood.

They can gets* spots, puppy acne.... use the Advantage multi for a few treatments, about two weeks apart. Some of my bullies get...it goes away with age...or at least mine did.. Some puppies get these bumps, and they seem to fade with age..I treat with my dewormer, Advantage multi..

It's possible, i never heard of it, but let's see what. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] think-- they have vast experience with puppies

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think the Nexgard tablets for fleas and ticks would be slightly better than the Advantage Multi if it were mange. Or you can use both. (But get the scraping done first since I know you don't like to use chemicals).

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just waiting till Monday. He's not in a life threatening decision. Going to get some nustock n keep it on hand.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank had similar problem for a very long time. Loss of hair and just clear white skin in bald patches, no scaling or scabs. As you know, we were in China and there we had no possibility to diagnose him properly. But doctors from South Africa and Belarus were unanimous- even just with photos I presented them when traveling, they said - low level staph because of compromised immune system and atopy, which is present in all bulldogs. And they gave us antibiotics - poor Tank had a course of Cefalexin, Amoxicillin with Clavulanate and even 4 shots of Convenia (modern antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks). We tried to give him antiallergic medicines too. Amount of supplements I've tried is impossible to name. I think, I've tried everything. Supplements and antiallergic medicines didn't seem to make a lot of difference. The only supplement I can say made a difference was EFAZOL - produced in South Africa fish oil with high content of EPA and DHA and Zync.
While he was on antibiotics, shedding improved, but when I stopped them, everything came back. I was very worried about possible mange, malassezia etc...as you know, diagnosis made by picture...you know what I mean.
When we arrived to the United States, one of the first things I did was to go to American vet, clinic and doctor recommended by our site member. This clinic takes care of Georgia Bulldogs mascot. And doctor said exactly the same - low staph infection. But this time we were able to get proper medical help - doctor made a scrape of skin and ruled out other infections.
So, he gave us medicated shampoo - Chlorhexidine plus Mikonazol plus colloidal silver. And I must wash him 2 times a week, letting him sit for 10 min with shampoo on him. He also said that in his opinion antiallergic meds I mustn't use unless there is itch (and Tank never had itch) and antibiotics should be left for more severe cases. Very reasonable oldish guy, he calmed me down and said literally "you must be happy, many bulldogs have bigger skin problems and it is almost impossible to have perfect skin in bulldogs...just wait and try to build his immune system with probiotics and good vitamin supplements, while keeping staph under control with shampoo". He also prescribed Fortiflora probiotic. The only scary thing he said was that this problem can get worse with age.
I am very happy with the results - now shedding is under control and I hope that all those bald patches will cover. Tanks skin looks very beautiful and feels silky, but you can still see little bald spots against the sun. But I am sure it will get better with time. I am also very happy that it can be controlled with shampoo, because bacteria cannot develop resistance against Chlorhexidine, while with antibiotics they can. Not even mentioning the harm antibiotics do to organs and immune system. I must say, shampoo they gave us isn't cheap - 34 usd per bottle, but it lasts for month.
Now I give Tank for supplements fish oil, Zync, Vit A, Vit E (all is important for skin) and Fortiflora as probiotic and Nuvet (it is supplement strongly recommended on this forum, so I decided to try it).
I think that Duke has similar problem, it looks like it. I am sure that with your knowledge of natural oils you will find something to keep it under control and hopefully with age he will develop strong immune system. May be just get consultation from vet to rule out other things.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank had similar problem for a very long time. Loss of hair and just clear white skin in bald patches, no scaling or scabs. As you know, we were in China and there we had no possibility to diagnose him properly. But doctors from South Africa and Belarus were unanimous- even just with photos I presented them when traveling, they said - low level staph because of compromised immune system and atopy, which is present in all bulldogs. And they gave us antibiotics - poor Tank had a course of Cefalexin, Amoxicillin with Clavulanate and even 4 shots of Convenia (modern antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks). We tried to give him antiallergic medicines too. Amount of supplements I've tried is impossible to name. I think, I've tried everything. Supplements and antiallergic medicines didn't seem to make a lot of difference. The only supplement I can say made a difference was EFAZOL - produced in South Africa fish oil with high content of EPA and DHA and Zync.
While he was on antibiotics, shedding improved, but when I stopped them, everything came back. I was very worried about possible mange, malassezia etc...as you know, diagnosis made by picture...you know what I mean.
When we arrived to the United States, one of the first things I did was to go to American vet, clinic and doctor recommended by our site member. This clinic takes care of Georgia Bulldogs mascot. And doctor said exactly the same - low staph infection. But this time we were able to get proper medical help - doctor made a scrape of skin and ruled out other infections.
So, he gave us medicated shampoo - Chlorhexidine plus Mikonazol plus colloidal silver. And I must wash him 2 times a week, letting him sit for 10 min with shampoo on him. He also said that in his opinion antiallergic meds I mustn't use unless there is itch (and Tank never had itch) and antibiotics should be left for more severe cases. Very reasonable oldish guy, he calmed me down and said literally "you must be happy, many bulldogs have bigger skin problems and it is almost impossible to have perfect skin in bulldogs...just wait and try to build his immune system with probiotics and good vitamin supplements, while keeping staph under control with shampoo". He also prescribed Fortiflora probiotic. The only scary thing he said was that this problem can get worse with age.
I am very happy with the results - now shedding is under control and I hope that all those bald patches will cover. Tanks skin looks very beautiful and feels silky, but you can still see little bald spots against the sun. But I am sure it will get better with time. I am also very happy that it can be controlled with shampoo, because bacteria cannot develop resistance against Chlorhexidine, while with antibiotics they can. Not even mentioning the harm antibiotics do to organs and immune system. I must say, shampoo they gave us isn't cheap - 34 usd per bottle, but it lasts for month.
Now I give Tank for supplements fish oil, Zync, Vit A, Vit E (all is important for skin) and Fortiflora as probiotic and Nuvet (it is supplement strongly recommended on this forum, so I decided to try it).
I think that Duke has similar problem, it looks like it. I am sure that with your knowledge of natural oils you will find something to keep it under control and hopefully with age he will develop strong immune system. May be just get consultation from vet to rule out other things.

Im going to feed the dogs n co e back to read this. Brb lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Nu-stock would be great to put on the hair loss areas if it is mites. Also can't hurt to wash bedding in hot water and put some food grade diatomaceous earth on it after.
Just waiting till Monday. He's not in a life threatening decision. Going to get some nustock n keep it on hand.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] Thank you for your post! It sure sounds like what Tank had. Ive introduced him slowly to vitamins as he had very loose stools and that had to be address first. Yes im going to make him a mixture of oils. Guarantee there will clove oil in it n tea tree. Tomorrow im off to the vet for sure. Have to nip this in the butt before it gets worst. Again thank you for your post . Love reading post from knowledgeable people!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nu-stock would be great to put on the hair loss areas if it is mites. Also can't hurt to wash bedding in hot water and put some food grade diatomaceous earth on it after.

Done all the beddings. Doing it daily because of Nyala.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think the Nexgard tablets for fleas and ticks would be slightly better than the Advantage Multi if it were mange. Or you can use both. (But get the scraping done first since I know you don't like to use chemicals).

Walter had demodex mange, and we opted for the dips which worked great but freaked me out initially. We used Advantage Multi twice a month, and for that following year and knock on wood the mange has never returned. My vet says that Advantage Muliti works great for pups w/mange.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.