KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
This is just a hypothetical...

If I had an ear ache and my doctor couldn't see me until Monday and I just happened to have some Otomax hanging around, would it work in spite of my humaness?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I wouldn't hesitate to use it. What else can doctors prescribe? Most of the ear nfections are treated with antibiotics - antifungal- steroid ear drops. In very bad cases of otitis oral antibiotics are used. But I think she most probably has just local external ear infection. And leaving dog for 3 days with sore ear is more dangerous than using drops without prescription.
P.s.
ahaha, I'm a moron:D I thought you are talking about Daphne:D still, despite many doctors would roll their eyes, I've checked ingredients and concentrations - you can use it, I can guarantee you 99% it is safe for humans:D the only thing, if there is pain in the ear in humans, it is quite often otitis (in dogs it is more often you can presume just skin nflammation) and otitis usually requires oral antibiotics, you cannot usually treat it only with ear drops. And the pain is growing fast and soon becomes quite unbearable.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I wouldn't hesitate to use it. What else can doctors prescribe? Most of the ear nfections are treated with antibiotics - antifungal- steroid ear drops. In very bad cases of otitis oral antibiotics are used. But I think she most probably has just local external ear infection. And leaving dog for 3 days with sore ear is more dangerous than using drops without prescription.
P.s.
ahaha, I'm a moron:D I thought you are talking about Daphne:D still, despite many doctors would roll their eyes, I've checked ingredients and concentrations - you can use it, I can guarantee you 99% it is safe for humans:D the only thing, if there is pain in the ear in humans, it is quite often otitis (in dogs it is more often you can presume just skin nflammation) and otitis usually requires oral antibiotics, you cannot usually treat it only with ear drops. And the pain is growing fast and soon becomes quite unbearable.

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I just need to make it through the weekend. I really appreciate all the knowledge you bring to these forums. Plus, you're funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I just need to make it through the weekend. I really appreciate all the knowledge you bring to these forums. Plus, you're funny.

Natalia, I just looked at your profile. My grandmother was born in BARANOWICZE Belarus, name Marianna Cybulko . I grew up being called Danusha. Just found it interesting.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It's my pleasure, but please, don't wait if the pain is growing and becomes excruciating, like if it can be described as "tooth ache in my head...throbbing pain", that usually means it is otitis and it is better to go to urgent care facility, because otitis can end up with eardrum perforation. It is better if doctors make a little hole with needle in your eardrum to drain pus, than it tears by itself and then you need sometimes a surgery to restore eardrum.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]NO WAY!!![/FONT][/FONT]:w00t::w00t::w00t:
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText] Baranowicze is a nice town just 100 km from Minsk where I come from! Danusha is a lovely gentle form like I am usually called Natasha at home. Nice to know[/FONT][/FONT]:D
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]![/FONT][/FONT]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is just a hypothetical...

If I had an ear ache and my doctor couldn't see me until Monday and I just happened to have some Otomax hanging around, would it work in spite of my humaness?

I'd use it in a heartbeat

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Otomax contains gentamicin so it's toxic to the middle ear if you happen to have any perforation. If you had Baytril ear drops or Dechra Malacetic ear cleaner for dogs that would have been safer. I would just put in 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water into ear until you get to doctor.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Otomax contains gentamicin so it's toxic to the middle ear if you happen to have any perforation. If you had Baytril ear drops or Dechra Malacetic ear cleaner for dogs that would have been safer. I would just put in 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water into ear until you get to doctor.

I tend to use the otomax or momotomax for external issues... tail, pee-pee, between toes, but I have used when Lambeau was having lots of ear issues. How would I know if there were a tear --- i know this just came up with Jessica and her love Tyson. Are there any outward signs?

I use witch hazel mostly now just to clean cause since the cytopoint shots started his ears have been great

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say it's pretty hard to tell without looking into ear with an otoscope. I got a cheap otoscope from aliexpress but the quality isn't great. If there is a LOT of drainage there would be increased chance of middle ear perforation. I think easiest way would be to get Baytril otic from vet, or use the Dechra Malacetic ear cleanser, or 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water, then you don't have to worry. Next time I get an order from Amazon I'm going to start stocking the Dechra Malacetic instead of the Zymox like I used to stock, since Zymox says it can't can't be used if middle ear is perforated.

I tend to use the otomax or momotomax for external issues... tail, pee-pee, between toes, but I have used when Lambeau was having lots of ear issues. How would I know if there were a tear --- i know this just came up with Jessica and her love Tyson. Are there any outward signs?

I use witch hazel mostly now just to clean cause since the cytopoint shots started his ears have been great

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.