Only Natural Pet Wholesome Homemade Dehydrated Dog Food and other stuff

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Interesting site... they also have other things and even an essential oil flea med. I'm liking the food that [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] suggested (easyRaw) but they also have a dehydrated stew that looks good. 59 dollars for 18lb box that makes 56lbs of food.. Now to investagate it ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Interesting site... they also have other things and even an essential oil flea med. I'm liking the food that [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] suggested (easyRaw) but they also have a dehydrated stew that looks good. 59 dollars for 18lb box that makes 56lbs of food.. Now to investagate it ;)

HKP is 7lb box makes 29lbs of food. Sounds about right

Here's the link but read the comment someone left below.

Only Natural Pet Wholesome Homemade | Dehydrated Dog Food

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/only-natural-pet-raw/

★★★★★2 out of 5 stars.

Robin5689

*·*6 months ago *

misleading

I have 5 dogs who typically eat other brands of dehydrated food such as Honest Kitchen, Sojos or Grandma Lucy's. I rotate their food frequently and they never have digestive issues. Anyway, when I saw that ONP was offering a "dehydrated" food, I was excited to add it to the mix. Sorry, but this is not even close to the level of the other aforementioned dehydrated foods that we are used to feeding. Those foods look like, well, FOOD. Like food that a human would eat. It's not highly processed. There's no uniformity to it because it's not pressed kibble etc. They have actual chunks of identifiable meat in them. Like actual meat- meat that if I put it on a plate and handed it to you, you'd have no idea it came out of a dog food bag.THIS food claims to have "chunks of meat" in the description, however I've gone through an entire box and have never seen any identifiable chunks of meat. This is basically just dry processed kibble with some dehydrated veggies such as carrots and peas added in. The carrots and peas aren't even digested as they come right back out in their bowel movements. And speaking of which, my dogs who usually go only 1-2 times per day began going upwards of 4-6 times per day and it was EXTREMELY smelly and LARGE. Their breath stunk as well. Perhaps the most disturbing thing however was that all of my dogs began to drink TONS of water when they were eating this food. I mean literally twice the amount of water that they'd normally drink which didn't make sense since the food was being mixed with water. I don't know if it has a higher salt content or what but I felt this was a very bad sign.Overall, the ingredients of this food sound pretty good and it's probably a step up if you're feeding a cheap commercial kibble- but if your pet is already used to high quality food this is just not on par. It's just kibble with dried veggies. When you add water, it doesn't make a "gravy" or "stew", it just looks like kibble soaked in water. You'd be better off using a higher quality kibble and adding your own veggies. If you want it moist, add water and you'll have the same thing that you have here. Besides that, dogs don't digest veggies well (their digestive track is much shorter than ours) and vegetables need to be VERY finely chopped or pureed for them to get any benefit from them. The veggies in this food come out the other end whole which means they've gotten no benefit from their inclusion in this food. I still have another full box of this stuff and I'm hoping PetsMart will take it back without a receipt. Otherwise it will be donated as I don't plan on giving this to my dogs again.✘*No,*I Do Not Recommend This Product.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
After what I read is a no go for these 2 pups.

It sounds like the product has been changed as 'sweet potatoe' used to be the first ingredient and now it's meat. and that the ratio is now corrected. I think also that that review is on the'stew' and not the raw... (the one you posted I mean) anyway, the reviews were asking for a 'new' review as the contents have changed... lol,, I'm tired, not thinking real straight and............. if it goes over good with this pooch, I cant help myself I always add fresh meat to his meals what ever it is, and if the product is good, just low on protein, I would have that covered... will check more tomorrow.. thanks for input!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION]

Ladies, while you guys are on here I wanted to mention something... I started doing some research on Acana & Orijen, trying to find a fit for my Wally. On the Dog Food Advisors website if you click on a certain food, at the bottom they have comments regarding the food. I was shocked to read that MANY people are upset w/the new kibble being manufactured in the USA versus Canada. People were saying that they found hair in the food, and/or that their dog just wasn't interested in the formula's anymore. NOW granted some of the comments were older, but STILL...

I have NO information on a recall, but I was just surprised at the comments people were making. I decided to try Wally on the Fromm's Pork & Peas to see if the potato is the issue, but I had to order it on Chewys. If not then I'm going back on the trials but TBH I'm more confused then ever... :fie:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I like to stick to what works for them and just add a few times a week a bit more protein, sauerkraut n organs. Nyala is doing fantastic like that. Still energetic, healthy n ready to go go go. Duke is still a learning phase. His poop is under control, no more soft stools, no slim, no bright red blood. He's back to what he was raised on (acana, raw, tripe) n will start over with him. I just want him to eat a bit of everything like Nyala so I dont have tons of different dog food. Yet might not work either...who knows with this breed. So for now Duke is back to square one cause of the hives. I doubt it's the food but only way to know if hives is from the food or not.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION]

Ladies, while you guys are on here I wanted to mention something... I started doing some research on Acana & Orijen, trying to find a fit for my Wally. On the Dog Food Advisors website if you click on a certain food, at the bottom they have comments regarding the food. I was shocked to read that MANY people are upset w/the new kibble being manufactured in the USA versus Canada. People were saying that they found hair in the food, and/or that their dog just wasn't interested in the formula's anymore. NOW granted some of the comments were older, but STILL...

I have NO information on a recall, but I was just surprised at the comments people were making. I decided to try Wally on the Fromm's Pork & Peas to see if the potato is the issue, but I had to order it on Chewys. If not then I'm going back on the trials but TBH I'm more confused then ever... :fie:

Been a few years for Acana only "not" orijen that it's not working in the US. Mind you some dogs still do fine with the duck. Tracey I had all my other dogs on orijen the blue bag. Never never i had issues. Its the same version as in the US. I dont know fromm I just know a lot of members use it and are happy with it. But you will still see some issues with some flavours of fromm comparison to orijen. Acana is a bit better as it has less calories than orijen and as you know some bags is one protein only and much easier to find out what your dog can be allergic to if only they have allergies. Living in Canada, Acana has no issues. Just the plant in the US wanted "their" rules and messed up a recipe that has/had no issues. But that's humans for you. If I was you and you only want a kibble I personally would stick to orijen but you give less cause of the calories if your dog doesn't move much. You can always top it once in a while with organs, sauerkraut etc in the week. But that's me.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The "Wholesome" line is dehydrated with cooked meat, Only Natural Pet Wholesome Homemade | Dehydrated Dog Food , so I think the EasyRaw is better. You hear about dogs on Honest Kitchen having carrot coming out in their poo, so it's no different, I wouldn't worry about that.

I think the ingredients are all good and balanced (it's noted that it "looks like above average food but low on the meat and fat" (as per dog food advisor and that was the review b/4 the added meat I think) and to me that's the biggie... I don't mind balancing with a bit of fresh meat, organs, or egg or fish or what ever I'm making anyway. Also, yes! the carrots come out just the same with Honest Kitchen.. Love HK, just am one that has to rotate and keep that gut active. I may pay for it one day, but it's worked for years with good strong gutted dogs. And don't know what ya think about Karen Becker, but she does it this way as well so hopefully I'm not purely nuts.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the ingredients are all good and balanced (it's noted that it "looks like above average food but low on the meat and fat" (as per dog food advisor and that was the review b/4 the added meat I think) and to me that's the biggie... I don't mind balancing with a bit of fresh meat, organs, or egg or fish or what ever I'm making anyway. Also, yes! the carrots come out just the same with Honest Kitchen.. Love HK, just am one that has to rotate and keep that gut active. I may pay for it one day, but it's worked for years with good strong gutted dogs. And don't know what ya think about Karen Becker, but she does it this way as well so hopefully I'm not purely nuts.

Karen is good she has a lot of good points. And you wont regret it one day as it's not normal to eat the same thing day in day out. In the wild they eat different types of meats/organs, berries, roots etc. Well you get my drift. If your gut works the whole body will work.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
That's a very misleading review for Only Natural EasyRaw. So far it has been the best dog food for my dog for her allergies after giving her Acana Regionals, Orijen, Presidents Choice Grain Free Salmon, Actr1um, and Canisource Grand Cru meat dehydrated raw. Yes my dog has much bigger poops 3 times a day with visible vegetables in it. No, she does not have stinky breath and no she does not drink any extra water. And there are just as many comments on the Honest Kitchen reviews talking about seeing vegetables in their poop. It's like seeing reviews on Amazon, you will always find negative ones even though the majority are great.

HKP is 7lb box makes 29lbs of food. Sounds about right

Here's the link but read the comment someone left below.

Only Natural Pet Wholesome Homemade | Dehydrated Dog Food

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/only-natural-pet-raw/

★★★★★2 out of 5 stars.

Robin5689

*·*6 months ago *

misleading

I have 5 dogs who typically eat other brands of dehydrated food such as Honest Kitchen, Sojos or Grandma Lucy's. I rotate their food frequently and they never have digestive issues. Anyway, when I saw that ONP was offering a "dehydrated" food, I was excited to add it to the mix. Sorry, but this is not even close to the level of the other aforementioned dehydrated foods that we are used to feeding. Those foods look like, well, FOOD. Like food that a human would eat. It's not highly processed. There's no uniformity to it because it's not pressed kibble etc. They have actual chunks of identifiable meat in them. Like actual meat- meat that if I put it on a plate and handed it to you, you'd have no idea it came out of a dog food bag.THIS food claims to have "chunks of meat" in the description, however I've gone through an entire box and have never seen any identifiable chunks of meat. This is basically just dry processed kibble with some dehydrated veggies such as carrots and peas added in. The carrots and peas aren't even digested as they come right back out in their bowel movements. And speaking of which, my dogs who usually go only 1-2 times per day began going upwards of 4-6 times per day and it was EXTREMELY smelly and LARGE. Their breath stunk as well. Perhaps the most disturbing thing however was that all of my dogs began to drink TONS of water when they were eating this food. I mean literally twice the amount of water that they'd normally drink which didn't make sense since the food was being mixed with water. I don't know if it has a higher salt content or what but I felt this was a very bad sign.Overall, the ingredients of this food sound pretty good and it's probably a step up if you're feeding a cheap commercial kibble- but if your pet is already used to high quality food this is just not on par. It's just kibble with dried veggies. When you add water, it doesn't make a "gravy" or "stew", it just looks like kibble soaked in water. You'd be better off using a higher quality kibble and adding your own veggies. If you want it moist, add water and you'll have the same thing that you have here. Besides that, dogs don't digest veggies well (their digestive track is much shorter than ours) and vegetables need to be VERY finely chopped or pureed for them to get any benefit from them. The veggies in this food come out the other end whole which means they've gotten no benefit from their inclusion in this food. I still have another full box of this stuff and I'm hoping PetsMart will take it back without a receipt. Otherwise it will be donated as I don't plan on giving this to my dogs again.✘*No,*I Do Not Recommend This Product.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
That's a very misleading review for Only Natural EasyRaw. So far it has been the best dog food for my dog for her allergies after giving her Acana Regionals, Orijen, Presidents Choice Grain Free Salmon, Actr1um, and Canisource Grand Cru meat dehydrated raw. Yes my dog has much bigger poops 3 times a day with visible vegetables in it. No, she does not have stinky breath and no she does not drink any extra water. And there are just as many comments on the Honest Kitchen reviews talking about seeing vegetables in their poop. It's like seeing reviews on Amazon, you will always find negative ones even though the majority are great.

So far...... I am very happy with it. a little more time will tell if it's a keeper ;) And like even the dog food advisor said,,, ingredients are all good, and I don't think any of us just feed ONLY the food... we all add our extras be it meat, vitamin, oils etc.... we shall see

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.