KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

My son has, what is known in States, as an American Bull Dog. It cannot be registered with the AKC. The breed has its own club with registration.

When I got my first Shar Pei back in 1980, the breed was not yet recognized by the AKC. There was the Shar Pei Club of America for registration purposes. It took ten generations of careful, documented breeding, culling of pups with undesirable characteristics etc and impeccable breed standard characteristics before the breed was finally recognized and could be shown and registered. This did not happen until 1991. Only my last two Shar Peis were AKC registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Just my 2 cents worth but in the Westminster Dog Show, don't they just announce them as 'Bulldog' in the Non Sporting Group, not English Bulldog? So just having them as Bulldog on the papers makes sense to me.

ETA. Just looked at Crufts and they just refer to them as Bulldog too.

I agree. I don't have time today for full due diligence research, but I know Frenchies are registered as French Bull Dog. I'm guessing that EBD was the first Bull dog breed registered and was thus just named as Bulldog.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
He is adorable! I thought the same about my Bella. Still not sure (but very sure I wouldn't trade her for the world!)
She is such a character who makes us laugh just about all day.
She looks leggy to me. She was 7 months on June 22 (so just about your pups age) she is 41 lbs but doesn't look it. She is solid. Very very athletic, boy can she run and jump! She jumps over the back of my couch to the front with out even trying when she has the zoomies! Lol
Breeder said she is an English Bulldog. Her dad kinda looks like and Old English (some say) her mom looks like and English Bulldog. I only saw pictures of them.
Dad
IMG_4982.JPG
Mom
IMG_8703.JPG
Miss Bella!
IMG_6537.JPG
We love her to death for sure and she is spoiled rotten too!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My son has, what is known in States, as an American Bull Dog. It cannot be registered with the AKC. The breed has its own club with registration.

When I got my first Shar Pei back in 1980, the breed was not yet recognized by the AKC. There was the Shar Pei Club of America for registration purposes. It took ten generations of careful, documented breeding, culling of pups with undesirable characteristics etc and impeccable breed standard characteristics before the breed was finally recognized and could be shown and registered. This did not happen until 1991. Only my last two Shar Peis were AKC registered. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad when you have to have one breed club on it's own. Like Duke, took 10 generation of his kind and yet not recognized or Nyala since 1800. All breeds should be accepted if you have 10 generations or more in any club. Im not one that bothers with paoers. I believe if you want to show your dog or breed it's a different story. Aside from that you dont need papers. That's my 2 cents.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I agree. I don't have time today for full due diligence research, but I know Frenchies are registered as French Bull Dog. I'm guessing that EBD was the first Bull dog breed registered and was thus just named as Bulldog.

It's always been my understanding that owners of the AKC registered Bulldog wanted very much to distance themselves from the American Bulldog and kind of adopted the English Bulldog nomenclature. Just because it's "my understanding" does not mean that it is so. As far as the AKC is concerned there is only one Bulldog and it is not to be confused with the French Bulldog.
So which name came first,
Bulldog or English Bulldog?
I'm eager to learn...get busy people!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He is adorable! I thought the same about my Bella. Still not sure (but very sure I wouldn't trade her for the world!)
She is such a character who makes us laugh just about all day.
She looks leggy to me. She was 7 months on June 22 (so just about your pups age) she is 41 lbs but doesn't look it. She is solid. Very very athletic, boy can she run and jump! She jumps over the back of my couch to the front with out even trying when she has the zoomies! Lol
Breeder said she is an English Bulldog. Her dad kinda looks like and Old English (some say) her mom looks like and English Bulldog. I only saw pictures of them.
Dad
View attachment 106896
Mom
View attachment 106897
Miss Bella!
View attachment 106898
We love her to death for sure and she is spoiled rotten too!

Your Bella looks very much like an OEB. Got to admit, you have one beautiful puppy ive seen so far. Her face, her colours, her eyes and she's very on the go from your photos n more. Keep doing what you're doing. Doesn't matter what other's says. She's a beautiful Bella!

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Sad when you have to have one breed club on it's own. Like Duke, took 10 generation of his kind and yet not recognized or Nyala since 1800. All breeds should be accepted if you have 10 generations or more in any club. Im not one that bothers with paoers. I believe if you want to show your dog or breed it's a different story. Aside from that you dont need papers. That's my 2 cents.[/]

The English started so many breeds and interestingly, even the French Bull Dog. They are meticulous record keepers. There are records of the Welsh Terrier going back to the mid 1400s.
Maybe YOU don't need papers and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. I always buy pedigreed dogs. I want to know that the breeder was held to some kind of standard. I want to know how tall my puppy should get, how much it should weigh, what general personality characteristics it should have. I want to know as much about my potential fur life companion as I do about a potential husband and father of my skin children. The AKC had the right to revoke an unscrupulous dealer from membership.

I guess we're going to have to ageee to disagree on this issue.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
AKC doesn't list "English Bulldog" just "Bulldog." And then the French Bulldog is listed as such.

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
He looks like an olde English bulldog to me I am pretty sure they are leggier and a lot slimmer but I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would rather tell u than someone else do it but just because they have akc papers doesn't mean a lot any more it helps to know and trust ur breeder and see both parents because say I had a EB female and she was in heat and she got out and say my neighbors pit bull got her before I could stop it and of course I know I could getb2000+ out of her pups so instead of losing out on a heat cycle and a whole lot of money I went as fast as I could and bread her to my friends EB used his name on the paper work and now I have a little of akc registered pups that r not pure blood or I could just skip breeding her again all together and ask my friend if I given him some cash from the pups can I use his full blooded EBs name on the paper work there is no way to know except DNA and the only reason I am even telling u is I saw a friend go threw it but as long as u love ur baby is all that matters and he is a very pretty baby

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Your Bella looks very much like an OEB. Got to admit, you have one beautiful puppy ive seen so far. Her face, her colours, her eyes and she's very on the go from your photos n more. Keep doing what you're doing. Doesn't matter what other's says. She's a beautiful Bella!

Thank you I agree she is one beautiful puppy!! We love her to death no matter what she is!! Lol

OP
S

Shanemcooper

Jul 6, 2017
Country
United States 🇺🇸
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny
IMG_4564.JPGIMG_4517.JPG

There's the mother and father..Do they look EB?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
View attachment 106900View attachment 106901

There's the mother and father..Do they look EB?

I am no expert but they look like English Bulldogs to me. The one on the right isn't built much different from Chunky which is taller and longer than any other EB I have ever seen. Most people that see him comment on how big he is and not his weight which is 64lbs. I know I need to wipe off his bed. LOL

20170111_194310.jpg

IMG_20170707_172154376.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just my 2 cents worth but in the Westminster Dog Show, don't they just announce them as 'Bulldog' in the Non Sporting Group, not English Bulldog? So just having them as Bulldog on the papers makes sense to me.

ETA. Just looked at Crufts and they just refer to them as Bulldog too.

Yes... Bulldog is what is used for proper name

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
It makes sense to me that if AKC only recognizes the English Bulldog and not American or OEB that they would only list them as Bulldog. Bentley came here from Germany so he's not AKC, anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.