Knot obsessed

bulliebullybull

Sep 9, 2016
South west Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Max loves plain raw hides but has to have knots on the end and obsessively chews till he unites them. Lol. Not issue just a funny personality trait
f119f77768e4af0f2475a1939deb9141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
what a handsome boy!!!!!! Love that they all are so alike and all have their own goofie things they do special for us :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Max is sure beautiful. They sure can have funny characters. A suggestion, rawhides are DANGEROUS for dogs. Stays in chunks in the stomach and very often it forms into a ball and then they need surgery asap. Not to scare you but I sure wouldn't give rawhides to any dogs. My 2 cents.

Is Rawhide Dangerous for Dogs?

So, is rawhide that dangerous?

There are two way to answer this question. One is: is rawhide dangerous for my dog Avon? The answer to that is clearly yes. There is no way he will be getting any more rawhide sheets in any shape or form. But are they generally speaking, dangerous for a lot of dogs or for the average dog?I am not entirely sure. There are a lot of stories online saying that this or that is dangerous for dogs. Some strike me as false, like the great Swiffer scare. Chatter among pet lovers suggested Swiffer cleaning fluids contain ethylene glycol (they donā€™t), and that they can kill dogs when they walk on a surface treated with the fluids. I suspect this was a rumor that arose from a coincidence where someone was using Swiffer fluids and had their dog fall ill. Yet this connection is still widely reported as fact by dog owners across the internet.The connection between blockages and objects is much more direct. But dogs are found with various items in their throats and intestines like bones and fishhooks (underwear, string, or just about anything). There is no item small enough to be swallowed that has not at some point caused a health problem for a dog. So, it is hard to know if rawhide is particularly hazardous. Reviews of foreign bodies removed from dogs still show that bones top the list and rawhides are relatively rare given that they seem to be a popular product.If I do a similar search for other chews like Greenies, I find similar stories. But I still give my dogs Greenies, and I donā€™t think it does them any harm. So I have basically replaced a chew product some people think is dangerous for some other chew products that other people think are equally dangerous. So is it a case where some things are safe for some dogs, and pretty much nothing is safe for all dogs?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Helsonwheels is very correct,, I was trying to think of a way to say it but she did it and could be saving you a big heartache. It's a shame because they love them so, but i almost lost my Shih Tzu who got a piece and it was the most horrifying moments of my life trying to get it out of her throat so she could beath... scarry, and terrifying :( He sure is cute chewing on it, but i wouldnt chance it :(

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
A beautiful brindle bully! I have to agree that raw hide chews can be dangerous. Castor is not an aggressive chewer at all but twice he has almost choked on them and will never give them again. Once a chew with a knot and once a pig's ear. They get awfully slippery and difficult to get hold of if the dog starts to swallow bits of them.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Max sure is a good looking boy...please post more pics if you get a chance.

As others have mentioned, Rawhide chews are loved by dogs and provide hours of slimy entertainment but they are also costly/deadly if the are consumed. Close friends lost their Doberman to a large rawhide chew about the same size as the one Max is working on. He died of bloat after swallowing part of the rawhide. Please consider an alternate chew like a deer antler or other product that can be digested if swallowed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just my 2 cents......I used to give them once in a while to my Malanois, figuring they were big dogs-they could handle it. One got the rawhide piece stuck in her throat and started gagging. I had to go down pretty far in her throat to pull it out. I never gave them again-no matter how much they loved them,because I loved the dogs! Please find something else for your baby-a large nylabone, or a large moose,elk antler. He is a beautiful boy and surely don't want to lose him!
We are not "haters" we are dog lovers, and don't want your Max to hurt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a handsome fella!

Agree with the gang... find a better choice in chew toys.... rawhides are dangerous and I so wish they would stop making them

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I also agree I have heard to many horror stories to chance it with my baby but it makes since what everyone says and I sure wouldn't want anything bad to happen to that pretty boy of urs I give my baby nyla bones and antler chews every once in a blue moon I get him those bones that r kinda like teething cookies once they get them wet it kinda dissolves to mush but even them once they get small enough he could get it all in his mouth in the trash it goes I think its called bakery something or other peanut butter flavor is Chevy's pick again not trying to be nosey or push u towards anything its just that those things should come with a big giant warning lable

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
MAXIMUS IS BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE HIS COLORS. RAW HIDE BONES ARE DANGEROUS. LOVE AND KISSES TO MAXIMUS.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
What a handsome fella!

Agree with the gang... find a better choice in chew toys.... rawhides are dangerous and I so wish they would stop making them

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the chemicals used to treat the rawhide. That is also dangerous for dogs, according to the vet who formulates our food.

OP
bulliebullybull

bulliebullybull

Sep 9, 2016
South west Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thank you for all the compliments sorry took so long to get back been busy summer. I agree with raw hide issue just trying to move to blue buffalo dental bones. Seem safe and digestible.
32f3a01496ffa5f8425545eb9a7780b1.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.