This Is Why I'm Paranoid

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
We all know I'm paranoid about Daphne's weight. Yesterday we took her to the pet store with us when we went for food. We don't take her with us because she's so heavy to lift into the back of the SUV. Anyway, when we walked in, the co-owner came rushing over to see her. Turns out her daughter has an EBD. She said, "Wow she's really fat!" I immediately became defensive.

We buy all of our food from these people. We feed Zignature. Daphne doesn't get snacks. We've cut her food to 1 cup Morning, 1 cup evening. With evening meal she gets 2 Tablespoons homemade stew of mixed veggies. She seldom gets a treat. If she does, it's freeze dried liver.

I don't know what to do anymore. She gets two walks a day. She is 10 months old and very healthy. She weighs 42 lbs this month. She is built like a cinder block, as square as she is long. She measures 18" from bottom of neck to top of tail. She is 29" around her girth measurement around back of front legs.

I do my best to give Daphne the best of everything she needs. I've never had a fat dog...never. Until Daphne arrived, my dogs were self-feed high quality kibble. The vet always comment on how they maintained their weight even though self-feeds.

What am I doing wrong? I just don't get it.

259c94333f683711a10aa618994ec0b1.png

cb10e8c2c37506e5e8945bbdf6f62bd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What to do.... ignore ignorant people! [emoji35]

At 10 months... she has a lot of growing to still do and her body will change over the next year--- continue as you are

Here is Lambeau... 2yrs 7 months and 58lbs

d3807d42b0c99d610a4c000e6277f913.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just had Walter's annuals and he's 63 pounds (over 3 years old now) my vet says he looks great. Bulldogs are hard to judge when it comes to weight, because of their shorter stature and most of them are PURE muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat... IMO 2 walks a day is perfect, and Christine is right she will change. Continue as you are and ignore the haters!!!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
At 4 yo Canelo weighed 79 lbs. I was told to get 10 lbs off him and we did. I asked what should ideal weight be, no straight answer. Then we took him to an ER vet, he weighed 69 lbs, vet said he needed to lose weight. I asked what is his ideal weight, no straight answer. A third vet said bullies are different. Daphne looks excellent, she is a cinder block, Canelo is a road block.

A few weeks ago took Canelo in for a checkup and he got great marks, weight 69 lbs however I'm hoping to get a few extra off him. I measured him his girth is still 36", length is 24". Including a picture too. Don't get hung up on what other's say, some people are awkward trying to strike up a conversation. At the vet another patient looked at Canelo and just said he looked like he was starving. I agreed with him and said he's malnourished and he loosen up. You're doing a great job but we gotta talk about Daphne's chew choices, lolllll! She's a beauty.

7ecbcc926c36e50f3c32d63cb080fcb0.jpg

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I think that at the end of the day you know your baby. I posted a pic of Lockjaw sitting next to my husband and on FB and people were like "he needs a diet, give that boy a salad." Etc- but when he's sitting down he looks HUGE, but he's just wide.
I know I don't over feed, I know he MIGHT need to get to shed a few lbs but I also know that his weight has been steady for the past year- his body has just changed.
If the vet wants him to lose weight, by can't give you a good range- do what you think is best. My vet has said both Lockjaw and Penny look great and not to worry about anything.
You know what an obese bully looks like and Your baby is def not obese.

Lockjaw is the same way- right around 69 lbs and square. Lol- they are all a little different.

Him laying down:

55797070025cbdcfcb6ffef8943ef21e.jpg

Standing up:

81e2e902d4b89ae8a686337e5e97ae07.jpg

Sitting:

57208e2a1b193c8adc68a7aa43583c5a.jpg
32a158a752edb25ce9778b5d5db0cd8e.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Canelo is a ROAD block! :ROFL: Don't worry about what anyone says! Daphne is your dog-and if you think she looks good, that's what is good! If you take everyone's comments to heart -you will drive yourself crazy! Daphne looks great to me! (that's my opinion :yes:)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Don't worry about the weight until 1 year old. I see the curve line before the hips. If the curve line was absent, then maybe D-girl is borderline. She has more growing to do.

As far as where you buy your food...find another source...bastard!

That is my two cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is 65lbs or was a few weeks back and has stayed around that weight for over a year now. He filled out more over the past year but his weight hasn't changed but 1lb. I thought he was getting too big and thought about cutting back on food but all the vet did was brag about him when he was last seen

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
We all know I'm paranoid about Daphne's weight. Yesterday we took her to the pet store with us when we went for food. We don't take her with us because she's so heavy to lift into the back of the SUV. Anyway, when we walked in, the co-owner came rushing over to see her. Turns out her daughter has an EBD. She said, "Wow she's really fat!" I immediately became defensive.

We buy all of our food from these people. We feed Zignature. Daphne doesn't get snacks. We've cut her food to 1 cup Morning, 1 cup evening. With evening meal she gets 2 Tablespoons homemade stew of mixed veggies. She seldom gets a treat. If she does, it's freeze dried liver.

I don't know what to do anymore. She gets two walks a day. She is 10 months old and very healthy. She weighs 42 lbs this month. She is built like a cinder block, as square as she is long. She measures 18" from bottom of neck to top of tail. She is 29" around her girth measurement around back of front legs.

I do my best to give Daphne the best of everything she needs. I've never had a fat dog...never. Until Daphne arrived, my dogs were self-feed high quality kibble. The vet always comment on how they maintained their weight even though self-feeds.

What am I doing wrong? I just don't get it.

259c94333f683711a10aa618994ec0b1.png

cb10e8c2c37506e5e8945bbdf6f62bd1.jpg

I'm guessing she not neutered at 1 which is fine. My friends female is loads smaller then my male but she is nearly the same weight my point being I think females have a lot of hormones to deal with so they probably carry more weight. I could be totally wrong but it makes some sense to me. As others have said she will level off when she reaches full maturity. George was 66lbs and we have him down to 54 now, and he's neutered, and I think my friends female is about 52 or so but she is so much smaller he's like a giant beside her.
There are many ignorant and I think stupid people out there so ignore any untrained unhelpful advice advice about your bulldog. As regards weight most vets are pretty competent so you could maybe ask next time you are there. Just yesterday we had a lady (with a mini poodle) say "oh he looks so unhappy" I had to ignore it as I would not have been able to stop myself from slapping her if I had reacted at all, and I'm certainly not going to insult her dog. People need to keep their ugly opinions to themselves.
Bulldogs are the best ❤️

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Chunky is 65lbs or was a few weeks back and has stayed around that weight for over a year now. He filled out more over the past year but his weight hasn't changed but 1lb. I thought he was getting too big and thought about cutting back on food but all the vet did was brag about him when he was last seen
The Chunk-meister...Jewel and Bentley say hello.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo is a ROAD block! :ROFL: Don't worry about what anyone says! Daphne is your dog-and if you think she looks good, that's what is good! If you take everyone's comments to heart -you will drive yourself crazy! Daphne looks great to me! (that's my opinion :yes:)
Oh honey! I love your two cents worth as with all on this thread.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Love the cute 'body' shots here... They all look great to me... Your girl is still a pup and you being so conscientious, she's just fine, and growing perfectly....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Bulldogs are BIG DOGS on short legs.

Enjoy your baby girl, she is perfection!

Love everyone's comments & lovely
bully pics :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.