Pebbles still munching on poop

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
I posted this when I got her in December & thought it would be cleaner to start a new thread.

She is almost 9 months old & I caught her eating a mess last night. I usually go with her to poop & pick up immediately but she snuck one out on me.

She weighs 53 lbs, vet states she should weigh around 43lbs. She does not look any fatter than the rest of the dogs i see on here, big chest.

She eats: 1 cup Fromm puppy food & half to 3/4 of a can of green beans in morning. 1 Nuvet tab, 1 herbsmith probiotic, missing link, coconut oil.

Evening: 3/4 cup of fromm & 3/4 can of green beans.

She goes for a walk/ run every evening around our block with 2 other dogs & gets a good 15 minute fetch the ball session inside almost every evening. FYI, she is running alot to fetch ball & is winded when we are done.

How do I stop her from eating poop other than picking up which i am pretty good at but can occasionally miss one.

I guess the more important question is why is she eating poop? I think she is hungry.

This dog would eat a rock if i fed it to her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@AndyT One of my Malanois(the male) went from home to home(not very good homes) before he landed here. He used to eat poop. I am sure his reason was because he was on a 2ft. chain, when I met him. Everytime he came in the house,I would smell his breath. I would say "you ate poop!?" Then I would take him into the bathroom and brush his teeth with my toothpaste(his own toothbrush:bad:) while saying "don't eat poop!" He hated the toothpaste! After three times of doing that,he never ate poop again! That's my story.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Guess i will have stool checked as well as bloodwork. Not sure if bloodwork will show enzymes or not.

Think we are going to have her eyes done in the near future and have the pallet done at the same time.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
@AndyT One of my Malanois(the male) went from home to home(not very good homes) before he landed here. He used to eat poop. I am sure his reason was because he was on a 2ft. chain, when I met him. Everytime he came in the house,I would smell his breath. I would say "you ate poop!?" Then I would take him into the bathroom and brush his teeth with my toothpaste(his own toothbrush:bad:) while saying "don't eat poop!" He hated the toothpaste! After three times of doing that,he never ate poop again! That's my story.

Heck, I'll try anything at this point. She eats it as soon as it comes out. I really think its that she is hungry. I don't know if its the breed or the individual, but she acts like we are starving her.

After last nights poop meal I gave her a whole can of green beans.... I am trying to lessen the food to loose some weight but the poop eating is making it hard. I scan the back yard 2-3 times a day & am with her to pick up morning poop.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not sure the cause, but I have heard that if you feed dogs pineapple they will NOT eat their poop. Something about the smell when it comes out the other end... Lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Too much food is not good. The body can only process but so much. If the poop still has unprocessed food in it then she may mistake it for additional food. Bulldogs like eating and will pretty much eat until they physically cannot hold anymore and puke it up. Then they will eat the puke or more food and the cycle begins until they are too tired to eat standing so they will lay down and eat. I've never seen an adult bulldog fall asleep while eating so I'm going to go out on a limb and declare that it has never happened.
Some dogs acquire a taste for poop...simply said, and I choose not elaborate.
You and your Vet are WAY OFF(not just a little) in terms of what is thin, fat, or just right. Please post some pics for us to view and we will tell you straight. A shot from above is best.
For our bullies that are a little overweight we give 1/2 a cup kibble twice a day with a whole cup of green beans. Drop the puppy food for adult kibble and NO TREATS...at least none with calories.
FWIW, you still have a puppy and IMO, PUPPIES get a roly-poly pass, but your 9 month old is 54 lbs. that's a lot for a 9 month old Bulldog. Is Pebbles an OEB?
Without seeing any pics I'm inclined to side with your Vet. Show a pic and change my mind.
Sandy asks if you've tried any of the poop eating remedies...MSG, perhaps?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hmmm.... could be too much food-- try cutting back a bit, do 3/4 kibble and 1/4 green beans at each meal and see if it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

Aaah, ROFL! Epic story:D

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Some dogs like eating poop, some don't. I think your baby grew up in loving family and her poop eating cannot be behavioural. She just feels sometimes like it. You know, very small human babies also sometimes eat poops, as they yet don't know it's a no-no. And dogs are innocent souls, they don't know it's bad. Hunting dogs are the worst - they eat poop, they roll in poop ( it's even better if they can find a rotten roadkill, it makes mom so happy:excited: )! I used to have Irish setters and they were passionate about poops.
I would try some meds available. From my experience, if dog eats poops, usually it's quite difficult to change. You just have to be vigilant.
and anyway, you actually can't leave bulldogs unattended, they can eat something (let's say, anything), choke, drown, etc. They are worse than babies! :yes4:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would have to agree 54lbs @ 9 months old is not thin. One thing I would ditch asap is beans in a can. ANYTHING in a can has no nutritional value. It was boils to a high temperature and has killed everything inside. Get either fresh or frozen veggies. And yes switch to adult food as you baby is getting too much calories. Dont know about your vet but doubt very much you want a chunky bulldog with future issues. Don't matter what the breed is, its much wiser to keep a dog a couple pounds under normal weight. Stays more fit.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Treats are the Stewart's freeze dried liver. No additives. Made in Usa

IMG_6356.JPG

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
IMG_6354.JPG

I'll pick up fresh green beans and use them instead of canned.

She will eat them raw.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
She's a little on the heavy side but not alarmingly so. Vet is sort of right, I guess. She could stand to lose 5# and she'd likely get that well-defined waist you'd want to see her have as an adult.

📰 Latest posts

Members online