Camping With A Bully In Texas

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Hi All. I'm looking for opinions and advice. Labor Day weekend we are doing a family camping event. I have two pugs and my Little Man Canelo (he's not little, sarcasm). We will be using a tent and we will use a small A/C to cool our tent, yes I'm prissy! I even have a twin air mattress for my fur babies to sleep on. We are camping around Huntsville, TX and I want to take my fur babies. I am worried about my babies, especially my bully to make sure he is cool and safe. I think the A/C will help a lot, my back up is HIS new truck, it cools well.

However I wanted to hear from others that camp with their Bullies and hear what they do for camping with their Bullies. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
My personal opinion only.... If they were my dogs, I wouldn't take them. It can still get really hot here in Sept. (in the 90s) and they won't be in the tent all the time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never taken my bulldogs camping, and I'm curious to how hot it would be that time of year. IMO I just wouldn't take him... at least not during the hottest time of the year. Maybe spring/fall would be best.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi All. I'm looking for opinions and advice. Labor Day weekend we are doing a family camping event. I have two pugs and my Little Man Canelo (he's not little, sarcasm). We will be using a tent and we will use a small A/C to cool our tent, yes I'm prissy! I even have a twin air mattress for my fur babies to sleep on. We are camping around Huntsville, TX and I want to take my fur babies. I am worried about my babies, especially my bully to make sure he is cool and safe. I think the A/C will help a lot, my back up is HIS new truck, it cools well. However I wanted to hear from others that camp with their Bullies and hear what they do for camping with their Bullies. Thanks!!! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would bring them for sure. If they are healthy why not.....but make sure you make yourself and mixture for ticks/bugs. I use this mixture on both of mine and not one mosquito goes on them but will on me as I dont spray myself. Dont ask!

FOR TICKS
14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass
Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

Bring your benadryl no matter what!!!! Just have fun!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would bring them for sure. If they are healthy why not.....but make sure you make yourself and mixture for ticks/bugs. I use this mixture on both of mine and not one mosquito goes on them but will on me as I dont spray myself. Dont ask!

FOR TICKS
14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Last year I was driving myself crazy trying to find a bug repellent for Jax because we were going to a wooded area on 4th of July and there were mosquitos. I finally did find something but I am going to keep your mix handy.

But here is a dumb questions - where would I get the lavender, citronella and lemongrass?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It can be done as long as you prepare for it. We have done the AC in the tent many times with no issue but we do have to use her crate to keep her calm in the tent. If she is sitting with us in the heat I have a massive misting system that I connect to our equally massive canopy and connect it to the pump in a 500 gallon water tank that goes on trips with us to run it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

FOR TICKS
14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

on mix for ticks,,,,,, I have the other recipe that has the cup water, and 10 drops of each.... lavender, citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint.... Will this do for ticks as well or does the Witch hazel need to be the 'fluid' if for ticks???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
on mix for ticks,,,,,, I have the other recipe that has the cup water, and 10 drops of each.... lavender, citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint.... Will this do for ticks as well or does the Witch hazel need to be the 'fluid' if for ticks???

Follow the recipe as for Nyala n Duke its works. When I go to Banff with them in the rockets I use it on them. I spray under the belly n even armpits. Put some on their collars around their necks. Works great so far.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Last year I was driving myself crazy trying to find a bug repellent for Jax because we were going to a wooded area on 4th of July and there were mosquitos. I finally did find something but I am going to keep your mix handy.

But here is a dumb questions - where would I get the lavender, citronella and lemongrass?

Buy it online. Make sure that the bottle also says the latin name on it. Dont believe even I it says organic or pure. Always look for the reallatin names. Doterra n young living are great brands if you're not sure what to look for.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I recall that thread. I crossed Canada with Nyala last year and all went fantastic. Mind you I slept in hotels. :) Younger I brought my Doberman n GS camping. No problem. My sons each have 3 dogs each 5lbs to 125lbs and they all go camping. No issues. Have fun!!!!!

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
It can be done as long as you prepare for it. We have done the AC in the tent many times with no issue but we do have to use her crate to keep her calm in the tent. If she is sitting with us in the heat I have a massive misting system that I connect to our equally massive canopy and connect it to the pump in a 500 gallon water tank that goes on trips with us to run it.

I'm mainly concerned about him overheating because it gets so hot but Husband and I were watching Canelo. He's very mellow and he wants to go out during the hottest part of the day and he wants to stay out there. I force him inside. When he's overheated it was on the 4Runner only. We'll have two tents with A/Cs, a pop up camper with A/C, and my Tundra which cools real fast so my thought is do I have enough backups.

Now while Canelo doesn't care for baths give him water with dirt and he's a happy camper. He'll go swim with the kids for sure, lol. I also have fans. Even saying this I'm on the fence.

And thanks for the info on ticks, I didn't think about them.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
air in a tent????? tell me how??? or what please

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
air in a tent????? tell me how??? or what please

Seriously they have tents with ports for A/Cs now. It's like moving the house to the woods, lol. I didn't get this tent, I got one for $80 and have a stand to put an A/C on so it's pushing air through a window vent.

d8a5708579ea23dab6077fe541fab6ee.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Seriously they have tents with ports for A/Cs now. It's like moving the house to the woods, lol. I didn't get this tent, I got one for $80 and have a stand to put an A/C on so it's pushing air through a window vent.

d8a5708579ea23dab6077fe541fab6ee.jpg

battery???? sort of the reason I'm asking is for travel with hank.... If we wanted to stop for lunch, how could I keep auto cool for him w/0 running the motor....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.