Y'all. I need my people. I need your help and advice.

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Some of you may know that Ranger like some in here suffer with a TON OF FOOD ALLERGIES. Well his allergies had became quite bad and we begin an elimination diet. Finally after tons of try's and fails and staph spots galore, we decided some months back to jump in with both feet and go with HK food. We knew that Ranger (who had only been on dry food until now) would undoubtedly have a bit of time getting used to his new food. I (totally taking blame and falling on my sword) thought it would be best for Ranger if we hand fed him this new soft, kinda yucky looking food. It worked. Ranger transitioned well and HK has been wonderful for us. BUT. The inevitable BUT. Ranger will now not eat UNLESS it's HAND FED to him with a spoon. Just tonight he began refusing his kibble (which he's always eaten just fine) so I just want to see if he'd eat it if I feed it to him. Y'all. For the love of all things this spoiled rotten baby boy of mine ATE THE KIBBLE. All of it. From.my.hand.
I need my people to swoop in here and give me some advice about where I may find the spell that breaks suchs things as feeding your spoiled baby boy from your actual hands. I love him unequivocally and wholeheartedly but I cannot continue to hand to mouth feed my 11 mth old spoiled Ranger. I've tried not feeding him by hand and just putting the food down for him because surely he'll get hungry enough and use his God Given mouth and feed himself right? Some kind of deep nature something will surely kick in and the boy will eat, BY HIMSELF. Wrong. He will go ALL DAY without eating unless someone hand feeds him. I'm actually worried as I know it's not healthy for him to be so dependent on me and also it's not healthy for him to go without food ALL DAY. Please someone more knowledge than I, help me right my wrongs. Thank you!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
From one Texas gal to another, Honey, you're being played but good.

Forgive me for laughing 'cause I & all of us here, have been there too!

Bar none, bulldogs are master manipulators, it's why we're so nuts ;)

Anyways, Ranger WILL NOT starve himself, I promise you! Just put his
new food down as you did before at the scheduled times. Leave it down
about 20-30 minutes & go about your business with no concern showing.
If he's not eaten by then pick up & put in fridge, no comment or anxiety.
Resume scheduled activity, if he goes potty after eating, take him out. No
food/treats until NEXT scheduled meal, take out, warm up, put down & walk
away. It may take a day or two as they are hard heads and will rule the roost
& everyone in it, if allowed to...they really are BULLIES! We think going without
food is just awful but doesn't hurt them at all. Keep plenty of fresh water for him
to drink at all times, act completely relaxed & happy. Ignore any pouting, begging,
barking, etc...YOU are the boss, Ranger is not...simple as that :)

I send love to y'all and so glad HK is working out for your stubborn boy, good job!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

& everyone in it, if allowed too...they really are BULLIES! We think going without
food is just awful but doesn't hurt them at all. Keep plenty of fresh water for him
to drink at all times, act completely relaxed & happy. Ignore any pouting, begging,

I send love to y'all and so glad HK is working out for your stubborn boy, good job!

Dead on!!

Carol has you covered-- little stinker is just waiting for you to do your job. He will eat just stick to the schedule you have and he will eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Texas Carol said it all for me...thanks, girl.
Just follow those suggestions and you'll "have him on your schedule" not "you on his schedule."
BTW, Ranger is no dummy, this boy is a "thinker", and staying 1 step ahead of him will not be easy.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with all above. You can try a tasty topper too to see if that motivates him to dig in himself. Oh Ranger, spoiled rotten I see. :) They are CRAZY creatures of habit, takes alot to change it..... but he'll eat trust me... its probably gonna hurt you more than him in the beginning but he'll catch on. :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg been there done that lolololol ( not with Hank but my Shih Tzu)... TC has you covered perfectly and I couldn't add a single thing... Oh the games that they can make us play AFTER we helped them learn them.... hahaha It'll all be ok, you'll see. But do the route written so well here and he will come around. Don't give in at noon either... lol then you'll be putting it up and down coaxing until he eats. Just do the scheduled feedings, just as Carol said!!! ;) Hugs! and strength to you :)

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I know it's frustrating for you, but this made my morning...I'm dying :rofl:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know it's frustrating for you, but this made my morning...I'm dying :rofl:

The bulldog scores again! Carol's :ROFL::ROFL: Advice given IS the cure. Better make yourself a foil hat so Ranger can't control you :whistle: [MENTION=16788]Ranger777[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hes saying.......SUCKERRRRRR lolll he's got you wrapped around his paw!!! Cute cute cute but not funny lolll

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger

& everyone in it, if allowed to...they really are BULLIES! We think going without

[MENTION=16139]Texas[/MENTION]Carol
So beginning this morning I followed all of your suggestions and even though it TORE my heart completely out, I did not waver. I prepared his food and put it down with fresh water at his scheduled feeding times. He would just sit there and look at me like "umm, how do you think it's gonna get to my mouth mom? I ignored all that cuteness and went about my business. Picked up the food 20/30 mins later. Not touched. We repeated this process I tell y'all ALL DAY. Needless to say he hasn't eaten anything except for the cheese that is used to disguise medications. I am nothing but committed and will begin again in the morning. Thank you for your advice and encouragement. Couldn't do it with my so gracious and full of love people ❤️

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Dead on!!

Carol has you covered-- little stinker is just waiting for you to do your job. He will eat just stick to the schedule you have and he will eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for you help and encouragement [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Any ideas on how long I should wait him out? Surely he wont starve his fool self 😳

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Agree with all above. You can try a tasty topper too to see if that motivates him to dig in himself. Oh Ranger, spoiled rotten I see. :) They are CRAZY creatures of habit, takes alot to change it..... but he'll eat trust me... its probably gonna hurt you more than him in the beginning but he'll catch on. :)
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] I've tried those toppers thinking surely he couldn't possibly resist those delicious morsels. Wrong. I've even COOKED LAMB, oh bless it. I've tired it ALL over the past month. It's breaking my heart though because I'm certain he's hungry. Also, I'm anxious about the empty tummy puke that will probably make its apperance in the morning. My stars this baby boy is wearing me OUT! �� Thank you for you support and encouragement ❤️

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
omg been there done that lolololol ( not with Hank but my Shih Tzu)... TC has you covered perfectly and I couldn't add a single thing... Oh the games that they can make us play AFTER we helped them learn them.... hahaha It'll all be ok, you'll see. But do the route written so well here and he will come around. Don't give in at noon either... lol then you'll be putting it up and down coaxing until he eats. Just do the scheduled feedings, just as Carol said!!! ;) Hugs! and strength to you :)

Thank you for the advice and encouragement!! ❤️

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So beginning this morning I followed all of your suggestions and even though it TORE my heart completely out, I did not waver. I prepared his food and put it down with fresh water at his scheduled feeding times. He would just sit there and look at me like "umm, how do you think it's gonna get to my mouth mom? I ignored all that cuteness and went about my business. Picked up the food 20/30 mins later. Not touched. We repeated this process I tell y'all ALL DAY. Needless to say he hasn't eaten anything except for the cheese that is used to disguise medications. I am nothing but committed and will begin again in the morning. Thank you for your advice and encouragement. Couldn't do it with my so gracious and full of love people!! ❤️ [MENTION=16139]Texas[/MENTION]carol

Damm Little Buggers.. im laughing cause it's cute. Yes its hard to say no to that face. Im sure he'll eat in the morning. Like you said doubt he'll starve himself. Keep us posted!

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Damm Little Buggers.. im laughing cause it's cute. Yes its hard to say no to that face. Im sure he'll eat in the morning. Like you said doubt he'll starve himself. Keep us posted!

Thank you for your encouragement [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

This was him at dinner time.
c73991f3bfa26d6bbb96fd81976aedcd.jpg

So dang cute and ALMOST irresistible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.