Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Heart breaking... and the sitter is full of $hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Since I have no one, I was just looking on Rover/Dog Vacay (they have merged) yesterday,as nieces are planning surprise for my sis in Md. I can't imagine a "dog person",especially a hired sitter, leaving a dog alone when there is an unfenced pool. That poor family.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since I have no one, I was just looking on Rover/Dog Vacay (they have merged) yesterday,as nieces are planning surprise for my sis in Md. I can't imagine a "dog person",especially a hired sitter, leaving a dog alone when there is an unfenced pool. That poor family.

you're still gonna go though, right?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Can't go-no babysitter! I'd be a wreck-especially now.......

I am sure there are good dog sitters. I would check to see who has bully experience, understands they cannot be let outside unattended and NO pool. I am lucky to have my sister here now who dog sits for us but before I took Chumly to a kennel with a separate 'geriatric' section. That section did not have indoor/outdoor runs which was very important as Chumly was a dedicated sun-bather and would have roasted himself to death given the opportunity. Is there a 24 hr vet nearby that has boarding?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... how heartbreaking!!! Dogs are like toddlers, I would NEVER leave a dog near a pool... especially a dog that I didn't own. My God...

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
This is terrible and probably would have been so preventable. I know I'm getting a bit soft as I age, but had a big lump in my throat watching that clip. NOBODY is going to care for your dog like you do,
but sometimes you have to make boarding / sitter arrangements especially with these guys for multiple reasons. I'm fortunate to have what I feel are several very good boarding choices close by when needed, the one I use is a husband & wife owned / operated Kennel (too rural to call a Resort, Spa or any other such BS) and most everybody in the community knows them. Well established for a long time and good people. I live near the coastline and things get busy in the summer because of multiple long time visitors but they have always worked with me even in a pinch.

Other than my tried and true intuition when using any dog related service, I've learned to watch their behaviour over the years as a good indicator too. Both my canine boys can't wait to get out of the car and into this facility when we do have to go there. I had a Cocker Spaniel years ago (wife's choice - she had always wanted one, beautiful dog but not the sharpest knife in the kitchen), we had trouble through the years keeping a good and reliable groomer because we kept him with what I think they call a Puppy or then Sport cut - short anyways. He was kind of tall for his breed, trim and looked rather athletic. Lots of people thought he was a Springer; back to my point, we tried a new fancy grooming shop someone had recommended to us and they did an acceptable job for a really high price. Next time I went to take him (Bingo was his name) there for his appt. I had to literally pull him out of my 4Runner, he scratched and clawed to get back in and the look in his eyes told me the rest. He had never acted that way, even on Vet trips.

I knew at the least he did NOT have a good experience there last time, but who knows what happened? A lot of boarding facilities, groomers, etc. are all closed off to where the dogs are. The person at the front desk may be the owner, manager or just an employee but you have every right to see EXACTLY where your dog will be cared for, how and by whom. If the person balks at your request they are more than likely hiding something and I'd take my business and way more importantly, my four-legged friend somewhere much better that cares about your dog.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This is why we don't go anywhere.... I don't trust ANYONE. Our honeymoon was our exception, and even that we had to cut one day short when our sitter called to tell us she was at the ER with Tyson bc he was peeing blood. - PTSD ....

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I'm so untrusting we haven't been anywhere that we can't take Canelo with us since we got him. I actually scheduled a two night trip for Husband and this 4th of July but I booked it as cancellable up to the day before so if we can't find a sitter that passes our tests. I'm so anal I don't think we are taking our trip. No one is good enough, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thats sad!! I am not a very trusting person when it comes to letting someone take care of Chunky. I had a younger cousin walk him last week since the neighbor who usually does was on vacation and Chunky and cousin both did fine which is good. I left strict instructions of where to walk and to not be out long but knew Chunky would start for the house when he was hot since he hates hot weather

I wasn't sure how Chunky would do with someone who is pretty much a stranger to him taking him out but my cousin said he greeted him with a lick and headed outside

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
That was one beautiful bully that drowned. What a shame. I think I would think twice before leaving my dog with someone who has a pool after seeing this. I know that even when I walk my dogs, I have to be on constant alert as my dog is finding chicken bones in the grass, sniffing poos etc. I don't think anyone can do as good a job with our pets like we do.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Oh, wow. Truly so very sad. I am looking on Rover now BC we have a 2 week trip to Europe planned at end of August. I don't want to leave him boarded at the Vet's BC of my Apollo being kenneled and kept in a cage the majority of the day. Also, bc I am pretty sure no one is there overnight. I definitely am going to do my HW to ensure he is left in the best of hands. I am apprehensive about this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.