Why is Walt foaming/drooling? Separation anxiety?

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Hey guys i feel like it is one thing after the other with my 1.5 yo male bully (intact). I love him though. He has a history of food allergies that I have discussed here.

My problem is that out of nowhere he is foaming and drooling at the mouth. We stopped giving him treats a month or more ago. The only thing i gave him today and yeaterday was a blueberry with an anti itch pill stuck inside. Once he ate them he started foaming like crazy. He also did that when picking up a piece of his own food and he just lays there starts foaming and sometimes drooling.

He did also break out all over his body for some reason but i gave him an acv bath and starting to get that under control pretty much.

The only thing that has really changed is we just brought our new baby home 11 days ago. He is doing great around the baby but could he be experiencing separation anxiety? Im giving him a lot less attention and others are picking up that slack. But im his mama.

His rabies is up to date, and he does not have seizures.

How should i help him?

I appreciate your help!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you checked inside his mouth? He could have something stuck in there,a bad tooth, or gingivitis, a growth? Another cause could be anxiety. He may be feeling upset because there are changes in the household. Could he have gotten something poison? It could be a salivary tumor-feel under his jaw and see if you feel any lumps. I had horses who if they ate the second growth of clover,they would foam and drool,but hardly think that happens to dogs. Could he have eaten a toad? That's about all I can think of right now. If it happened after you gave the pills, they may not agree with him.Or the blueberry....If it continues for too long-better see the vet.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Have you checked inside his mouth? He could have something stuck in there,a bad tooth, or gingivitis, a growth? Another cause could be anxiety. He may be feeling upset because there are changes in the household. Could he have gotten something poison? I had horses who if they ate the second growth of clover,they would foam and drool,but hardly think that happens to dogs. Could he have eaten a toad? That's about all I can think of right now. If it happened after you gave the pills, they may not agree with him.Or the blueberry....If it continues for too long-better see the vet.

Thank you for your reply! I haven't looked in his mouth... it's hard to get him to stay still to do that but i will. He hasn't had an actual dental cleaning so i wonder if it is time anyways...

We did just spray for bugs recently but i just dont see how he couldve been affected because we kept everyone away following the manufacturers instructions.

It did happen before the blueberry. We arent giving any treats right now to rule out any allergies but i couldnt get him to take this pill so i just did it anyways. But the foaming has been for at least a week. He's always kind of foamed at the dog park pretty consistently when running around really excited but not for no reason, it is really out of the ordinary.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16016]WaltsMom[/MENTION] Also feel around his jaw, and under-he could have a salivary tumor.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Many Bulldogs will drool like crazy when they are nervous or anxious. Has he seen the new little one? If you are keeping him away from the new family member that could be the problem. He should be allowed to see and sniff the recent addition. Spend as much time with him as possible. I'm not suggesting that this might happen in your case, I'm just sayin'...
By far...the number 1 reason a Bulldog ends up in rescue is because of a new baby in the family. Do whatever you must to make him feel loved and not forgotten. Remember, before the addition, he was probably top dog in the family and he knew it. That's all changed now and there's no reason to expect him to like it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my, I feel your anxiety (and maybe some guilt) for Walt's sake.
Congratulations on your baby and know you're doing the best you
know how to do and the craziness will end soon. Sending you loving
hugs & prayers. It could be the pest control spray even tho you did
everything according to directions, bully are notorious for extra sensitivity.
Wonder if he's licking the walls or floors before foaming? What food are
you feeding him, maybe an ingredient has changed? Take him to his Vet
for a general exam to rule out some of the things Lynn [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] suggested.
Please do update us on Walt and how you are doing too. XOXO

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have never seen Nyala foam...never.... till I went 3x to see my breeder and she has a lot of great behaved EB n FB all playing n running. Well nyala was drooling and foaming like a white Santa Claus beard. The breeder said dont panic she just over excited. She does that only at her place. She said leave her be and just walk she'll stop. It did after a few minutes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey guys i feel like it is one thing after the other with my 1.5 yo male bully (intact). I love him though. He has a history of food allergies that I have discussed here.

My problem is that out of nowhere he is foaming and drooling at the mouth. We stopped giving him treats a month or more ago. The only thing i gave him today and yeaterday was a blueberry with an anti itch pill stuck inside. Once he ate them he started foaming like crazy. He also did that when picking up a piece of his own food and he just lays there starts foaming and sometimes drooling.

He did also break out all over his body for some reason but i gave him an acv bath and starting to get that under control pretty much.

The only thing that has really changed is we just brought our new baby home 11 days ago. He is doing great around the baby but could he be experiencing separation anxiety? Im giving him a lot less attention and others are picking up that slack. But im his mama.

His rabies is up to date, and he does not have seizures.

How should i help him?

I appreciate your help!!!

Did the foaming start the same time you gave the anti-itch pill? What is that pill? Did he foam before baby came home or are the two happen at the same time?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don't think you need to look for a deep psychological explanation for drooling. It is usually provoked in dogs by smells or tastes. My Tank normally never drools for food, but there are some situations he starts drooling with foam. And his lower jaw shakes. It is when he smells other male dogs places of interest, when he smells nail enamel remover ( very strange), and when I give him some tablets. With some medicines it is so bad, that when I'm just approaching him with tablet, he starts foaming like fire extinguisher, with sticky foamy saliva. Looks scary. And if I had to give him certain liquids or tablets for 7, or 10 days, every day it became worse, so in the end it was useless to give it, whatever I did, all the medicine came out with the saliva.
So, most probably, it is a taste or smell of tablet what made him drool. Sometimes tablets are swallowed, but a tiny bit of bitter taste is left in the throat, so it's natural to try to wash it away with saliva.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Did the foaming start the same time you gave the anti-itch pill? What is that pill? Did he foam before baby came home or are the two happen at the same time?

I believe the foaming started after baby. I have more to add. While my father in law was dog sitting with my kids while i was at the hospital, apparently Walt got bit by a Labrador. I felt scars on his head but i assumed it was from playing in the bushes... ill never leave him with my FIL again... anyways, walt is up to date on rabies but not sure if that is related.
The anti-itch pills were given to me by his vet a couple months ago when i took him in for food allergies needing antibiotics and everything. I had some pills left over so i thought as needed id give them. Its called apoquel. I dont believe its related to the foaming since i rarely give it and didnt have a problem with it before.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Also, he now has hot spots in his feet. He's been licking his feet all 4 of them and now hot spots are coming up in between them. It's pretty frustrating.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Many Bulldogs will drool like crazy when they are nervous or anxious. Has he seen the new little one? If you are keeping him away from the new family member that could be the problem. He should be allowed to see and sniff the recent addition. Spend as much time with him as possible. I'm not suggesting that this might happen in your case, I'm just sayin'...
By far...the number 1 reason a Bulldog ends up in rescue is because of a new baby in the family. Do whatever you must to make him feel loved and not forgotten. Remember, before the addition, he was probably top dog in the family and he knew it. That's all changed now and there's no reason to expect him to like it.

Hello, i didnt know that about the rescue bit, we love Walter and he's a part of us, even though he can be a big pain in the rear! ;) he has seen the baby, tries to kiss the baby especially when she cries, sniff her, look at her, if people outside the family hold her he gets kind of protective, interested in why they are holding her. It's kind of sweet. We have 3 kids that do get to give him attention and my husband dedicates at least 30 minutes exclusively or more a day to throwing around his favorite toy outsideto get him to exercise. But my attention has decreased for him because im always nursing lol. Sigh. Do you think that sounds like enough attention for a bully? At least for now while we adapt to baby life?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Congratulations on having a new baby! I cannot say much about drooling in connection to anxiety but makes sense and great that you are all paying attention to him even though there's a new baby in the house. If he's close to you, perhaps you could spend some one to one time each day too when the baby sleeps (I'm not suggesting you go out and play ball but just hanging out the two of you). [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Castor drooled a lot when he tasted his shampoo last week and he very often gets this frothy little moustache when he sniffs interesting spots where other dogs have peed, for instance.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Sigh. Do you think that sounds like enough attention for a bully?
It should be but bullies can be hogs for attention. You're doing about as much as anyone(even a bully) could expect. My suggestion is to keep on doing what you're doing and things will sort out. If they don't improve in a few weeks then move on to step #?. Please report back how things are going.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online