Neutering - Pros and Cons?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My problem is that both my sons have each 3 dogs. Ive caught Duke humping Nyala at 4 months and a few times after that n she's spayed but still. For now he's in a kennel when I leave but the day he's out like Nyala, I just dont want anything happening to her. Why ive decided vasectomy. You pay more but at least the dogs keeps their "xmas ornaments".

ok, on this...... Since he keeps his hormones (and 'ornaments' ;)) how will that mellow the humping stuff with Nyala? Doesn't it just keep the 'seed' from happening? which wouldn't matter anyway since she's spayed? Hanks apt is thrusday (I still don't want to but the decision is made) but wondering still of alternatives. He's not a humper much at all though he does show it off at times ;/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would neuter Hank since he's over a year old, and if you give him vasectomy he may repeat his behaviour unless you are prepared to be very alpha around him. I'm pulling some quotes from articles I read online:
"Neutering will typically rid you of the roaming, the pee-peeing over any available surface, freaky behavior around bitches in heat, and the triple terror of testicular tumors, perineal hernias and prostatic enlargement."
"Waiting at least one year for small breeds, up to two years of age for large and giant breeds is s associated with a decrease in joint problems and some decreased cancer incidence compared to dogs neutered before puberty."
ok, on this...... Since he keeps his hormones (and 'ornaments' ;)) how will that mellow the humping stuff with Nyala? Doesn't it just keep the 'seed' from happening? which wouldn't matter anyway since she's spayed? Hanks apt is thrusday (I still don't want to but the decision is made) but wondering still of alternatives. He's not a humper much at all though he does show it off at times ;/

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I would neuter Hank since he's over a year old, and if you give him vasectomy he may repeat his behaviour unless you are prepared to be very alpha around him. I'm pulling some quotes from articles I read online:
"Neutering will typically rid you of the roaming, the pee-peeing over any available surface, freaky behavior around bitches in heat, and the triple terror of testicular tumors, perineal hernias and prostatic enlargement."
"Waiting at least one year for small breeds, up to two years of age for large and giant breeds is s associated with a decrease in joint problems and some decreased cancer incidence compared to dogs neutered before puberty."

Thank you Brian and Lynne... At this point, i need mostly direction in that .... direction :) *its* going to happen, i need to accept it's not the end of the world but an new *good* beginning for this kid.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you Brian and Lynne... At this point, i need mostly direction in that .... direction :) *its* going to happen, i need to accept it's not the end of the world but an new *good* beginning for this kid.
Like i said in another post, boils down YOU do what feels right . But.... Ive done my research when i got Duke 3 months of research. There's way too many studies now about NOT spaying or neuter your dog they will get cancer. Ive done my reseach even 10yrs ago for my GS and regreted even to this day having him castrated. Never should ive had listen to the vet. Yes that was 10yrs ago. Again spayed Nyala. Even posted when i had Nyala spayed i regretted it. It's in EBN somewhere. This is why for Duke i stuck to my guns. With all the research today there was no way I was going to give in again. Just read in EBN all the young and mid age dogs that pass away with cancer or diseases, i can guarantee you most were all neutered and/or spayed. My GS would pee over other dog's pee. Castrated or not a dog is a dog...they are animals...its nature. People have got to stop thinking the OLD way and must neutered or else. The problem with Vasectomy is NOT all vets practice it as its not taught in school. But more n more are willing to practice it. There is NO pain to the dog like neutering, spaying or castration, No meds given and what i find more important is the dog is right back to himself within 24hrs. All they do is either tide or snip the tub and thats it. And yes dogs might still have the drive to hump but if you corret that habit when they are still young, they will stop. It's all about training and being the alpha. In general people just dont want to be bothered. They think they get a dog and it's going to raise itself. Like kids, give them what they want to shut them up so we can have peace n quiet. Pfffft we all know what's going to happen with that issue down the road.

Like i said to you in another post, you do what you want as it's YOUR decision and no one else's. No one has the right to judge you. Do the right research and yes be prepard to correct your dog while still young NOT to hump.

One more thing to think about, how many times we see neutered/spayed/castrated dogs humping or humping plush toys or even attack or turns aggressive and they were snipped? They're animals its mother nature! OK THAT WAS MY 2 CENTS WORTH!!!

https://www.google.ca/amp/healthype.../06/13/amp/neutering-spaying-cancer-risk.aspx

https://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/spayneuter-and-the-association-with-cancer-in-dogs-part-one/

Choose Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation over Castration

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk