Neutering - Pros and Cons?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
On this,,,( especially on the 'spontaneity').... Does he just get up and walk across the floor 'air' humping?? and then it's done?? That's what Hank does but even now as he's matured, he rarely does it. when he was younger, if you let him lick you, that would set him off. As of now,, I think he just has a dream or something lol..

He will be there playing with his ball or just wake u and get too excited. I have to think it builds up and he needs a release. No humping is involved.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He will be there playing with his ball or just wake u and get too excited. I have to think it builds up and he needs a release. No humping is involved.

well I'm glad they don't involve anything or anybody (well, hank the 'air') ..it just happens..

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
oh boy he's really nice!!! beautiful boy!! love the pictures thanks for directing in that direction... enjoyed :)

Thanks Jill, and really appreciate all the input from everyone on this topic. Good folks trying their best to take care of these special dogs is what makes this site so great. Lots of concern, goodwill and sound advice given happen every day on here.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had planned on not neutering Walter, but at around almost 3 we started having aggression issues w/him. We decided to have him neutered, and his demeanor changed to his puppy sweet self again...

I'm glad that you are taking the time to research this topic... SO many people just do whatever the vets tell them to do w/out taking the time to look at all the options.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I had planned on not neutering Walter, but at around almost 3 we started having aggression issues w/him. We decided to have him neutered, and his demeanor changed to his puppy sweet self again...

I'm glad that you are taking the time to research this topic... SO many people just do whatever the vets tell them to do w/out taking the time to look at all the options.
And............. I'm glad too (that they're researching) as we all benefit from others questions, and others input... So glad people take the time to share... I'm thinking either way, at about two is when i'll start thinking about it unless something comes up b4 then....

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We did not choose to neuter Tyson initially. He had one that didn't drop and the vet said it would be a little more invasive since they would have to cut into him to remove the other one. Flash forward to 8 yrs old, he started peeing blood, after alot of testing and scares we were told his prostate was enlarged, and pushing up against other organs, the ONLY way to correct it and save him was to neuter and remove the testosterone. We chose to move forward for obvious reasons, to save his life basically. It took the neuter and then over a month of heavy heavy antibiotics and everything went back to normal. I felt horrible, and think that if I had the choice again I would have done it while he was younger. Tough decision either way :( I can tell you that the neuter did not change him though, his behavior stayed the same, if anything he just became a little more laid back :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
We did not choose to neuter Tyson initially. He had one that didn't drop and the vet said it would be a little more invasive since they would have to cut into him to remove the other one. Flash forward to 8 yrs old, he started peeing blood, after alot of testing and scares we were told his prostate was enlarged, and pushing up against other organs, the ONLY way to correct it and save him was to neuter and remove the testosterone. We chose to move forward for obvious reasons, to save his life basically. It took the neuter and then over a month of heavy heavy antibiotics and everything went back to normal. I felt horrible, and think that if I had the choice again I would have done it while he was younger. Tough decision either way :( I can tell you that the neuter did not change him though, his behavior stayed the same, if anything he just became a little more laid back :)

thank you TyTy's mom :) every bit of info is taken into consideration :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, Duke's vasectomy is booked. $500 plus GST which is a Good Services Tax!!!!! Good for what exactly????? Eats, sleeps, snores, farts and goes in my garden! Wonder if I can declare him as my guard dog for my company? Pfffffft.

Amazing you have to pay a service tax on your pet.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, Duke, your Mom is so nice to you! Your girlfriend will be very happy, as she won't need to take pills:D

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well, Duke's vasectomy is booked. $500 plus GST which is a Good Services Tax!!!!! Good for what exactly????? Eats, sleeps, snores, farts and goes in my garden! Wonder if I can declare him as my guard dog for my company? Pfffffft.

Amazing you have to pay a service tax on your pet.
well well., nice little chunk of cash :O .... and how soon will that be??? And, tell me/us why your having it done (as in the neuter no neuter debate) , and why vasectomy (I pretty much know why and appreciate that consideration) as I would love to hear ALL about this.... Hank's nearing 17 months and I'm going to be making some of these decisions ... to cut or not to cut... etc..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
well well., nice little chunk of cash :O .... and how soon will that be??? And, tell me/us why your having it done (as in the neuter no neuter debate) , and why vasectomy (I pretty much know why and appreciate that consideration) as I would love to hear ALL about this..nearing 17 months and I'm going to be making some of these decisions ... to cut or not to cut... etc..

Set for early aug.....Like I said in a few posts, had my GS castrated and he was even worse for aggression. Might or might not be the cause...who knows 100%.. it's more for the natural side. I know you have pros n cons but there absolutely no living proof neutering or castration is better. Tons of pets still get cancer even after N or C. The only thing N and C is easier for the vet to do. In the wild they're free in a city you still need controll if you're not going to breed. I'll let nature take its course. I want my little fart to stay intact.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
a little delayed here but thanks [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] :) So far I don't see the need for any decisions here. Mines behaving himself so we shall see... Thanks for input :)

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
I originally had planned to have rosco done around 8-12months. He is now 13months old and I've decided I'm not going to have it done. Now if the need arises like chunky' situation then I will definitely do it. Or if the vasectomy thing can be done I'd go that route. He is not aggressive at all whatsoever, he doesn't hump at all, he doesn't leave my side. He was even recently around a female that hadn't been fixed and I was curious how that was going to pan out. He sniffed and then went back and tried to sniff out any crumbs of food the kids might've dropped. Lol!

As for boarding it is true that you can't find anywhere to take an intact dog. I don't go out of town much and thankfully live in a big enough area that they have pet sitters on every corner. I personally don't like leaving him though so he goes where I go (work, store, kids activities, etc) He obviously has a few places he can't go with me. I've only left him overnight once, we went out of town and I didn't want him to be in the hotel all day or the heat outside with me all day. He might be a tad spoiled.

Good Luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I originally had planned to have rosco done around 8-12months. He is now 13months old and I've decided I'm not going to have it done. Now if the need arises like chunky' situation then I will definitely do it. Or if the vasectomy thing can be done I'd go that route. He is not aggressive at all whatsoever, he doesn't hump at all, he doesn't leave my side. He was even recently around a female that hadn't been fixed and I was curious how that was going to pan out. He sniffed and then went back and tried to sniff out any crumbs of food the kids might've dropped. Lol!

As for boarding it is true that you can't find anywhere to take an intact dog. I don't go out of town much and thankfully live in a big enough area that they have pet sitters on every corner. I personally don't like leaving him though so he goes where I go (work, store, kids activities, etc) He obviously has a few places he can't go with me. I've only left him overnight once, we went out of town and I didn't want him to be in the hotel all day or the heat outside with me all day. He might be a tad spoiled. Good Luck on your decision! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem is that both my sons have each 3 dogs. Ive caught Duke humping Nyala at 4 months and a few times after that n she's spayed but still. For now he's in a kennel when I leave but the day he's out like Nyala, I just dont want anything happening to her. Why ive decided vasectomy. You pay more but at least the dogs keeps their "xmas ornaments".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.