Neutering - Pros and Cons?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I chose not to neuter. Ultimately I felt it was better for his health. There are three issues as I see it. It is difficult to find a boarding place that will take intact dogs. Other dogs react to him being intact. He doesn't hump but will spontaneously ejaculate. I haven't figured out the triggers for that yet. He is two now.

On this,,,( especially on the 'spontaneity').... Does he just get up and walk across the floor 'air' humping?? and then it's done?? That's what Hank does but even now as he's matured, he rarely does it. when he was younger, if you let him lick you, that would set him off. As of now,, I think he just has a dream or something lol..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So what's your plan for your mr ?
Well im thinking more going that way. Will investigate more on it. Most vets rather go the old fashion way and get it iver with....but hey i like new technology..My vet does it but will talk to him too. You know a lot of animals domestic or wild live very long with their hormones. Cant put all dogs in the same boat. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well im thinking more going that way. Will investigate more on it. Most vets rather go the old fashion way and get it iver with....but hey i like new technology..My vet does it but will talk to him too. You know a lot of animals domestic or wild live very long with their hormones. Cant put all dogs in the same boat. My 2 cents.

Vasectomy in Dogs

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There was a link in the article posted that you can inject Zeuterin ( zinc gluconate ) directly into each testicle and that will permanently neuter the dog in a non invasive way, and only cost about $7-28.00 compared to $75-300 for surgical neutering. I would say that if you are going to do it, do it at around 6-9months to avoid behavioural issues developing. It's not for health reasons in males. In females there is a definite health advantage to being spayed.
Should You Zeuter or Neuter Your Dog? Learn about Zeutering (Chemical Neutering)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I had planned on neutering Chunky at 1 year but didn't because he had no negative actions that would make me want to neuter him. Like mentioned above he never humped, became aggressive unless provoked while rough housing and is the sweetest dog I have ever had. He was neutered because he had Cystine Stones which are hereditary and neutering is supposed to remove the chance of him getting stones again

Chunky has not gained weight, became more aggressive or had any negative side effects from neutering him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I had planned on neutering Chunky at 1 year but didn't because he had no negative actions that would make me want to neuter him. Like mentioned above he never humped, became aggressive unless provoked while rough housing and is the sweetest dog I have ever had. He was neutered because he had Cystine Stones which are hereditary and neutering is supposed to remove the chance of him getting stones again

One word I never accepted is "supposed" If a doctor or vet ever tells me "supposed" man is she/he going to get an earful. :w00t:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
There was a link in the article posted that you can inject Zeuterin ( zinc gluconate ) directly into each testicle and that will permanently neuter the dog in a non invasive way, and only cost about $7-28.00 compared to $75-300 for surgical neutering. I would say that if you are going to do it, do it at around 6-9months to avoid behavioural issues developing. It's not for health reasons in males. In females there is a definite health advantage to being spayed.
Should You Zeuter or Neuter Your Dog? Learn about Zeutering (Chemical Neutering)

Yes in one of the links I posted mentioned that. Interesting.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White

When the vet and everything I read on here and articles other EBN'ers posted said that neutering along with possible surgery to remove the Cystine Stones was what it would take to save Chunky's life with most likely no chance of anymore issues. That is what I wanted for him and would not of settled for any less.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When the vet and everything I read on here and articles other EBN'ers posted said that neutering along with possible surgery to remove the Cystine Stones was what it would take to save Chunky's life with most likely no chance of anymore issues. That is what I wanted for him and would not of settled for any less.

If it's going to save your dog's life, I would have probably done the same.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.