Neutering - Pros and Cons?

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Dozer is 1 year and 6 weeks old. I've been doing a lot of research and have read enough that if I do proceed with having him neutered it will be between 20-24 months. His behaviour is NOT an issue, he might push the limits a bit on what he can get away with during playtime but that is it. I've been told that will change for a while or the worst is still to come?

No humping problems, not a mean bone in his body. He sleeps with his head on my arm or pillow when we take a nap. He loves :inlove: the two small children across the street and his whole body literally shakes while he sits so they can rub his big ole head and pet him.

My main concern is his long term health and length of life, not around too many other dogs except when being boarded at a very good facility several times a year at most for short stays (2-3 nights at a time).

As always I value the experience and thoughts of the many of you who have been through all this before and learned much about this wonderful breed that adds so much to our lives. Just want to make the best decision for my buddy, thanks for any input.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm right there with you,, only Hank is now 16 months, he is still NO problem as far as not neutered is concerned.. I've done lots of reading as well and see both sides of pro's and con's..Though, people have stopped me and been concerned that he's 'all there' and am I going to breed as otherwise I'm causing him risks of cancer etc" .. I'm not in public all that much with him, but also, in emergency, it seems no one will take an 'intact'male to board if necessary.. ...( I'm glad you have a good place)...anyway,,, hope to hear some good stuff ;)

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Glad I'm not the only one trying to sort this out here, maybe we can generate some good responses. Hank is a handsome and well built boy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know you can get a snip like vasectomy instead of neutering. Like men. Like that dogs goes through hormones process like nature intended. Just a thought!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You know you can get a snip like vasectomy instead of neutering. Like men. Like that dogs goes through hormones process like nature intended. Just a thought!

So what's your plan for your mr ?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Glad I'm not the only one trying to sort this out here, maybe we can generate some good responses. Hank is a handsome and well built boy.

well thank you... I do think he's a good lookein kid :) and to that.... where's yours ?????????????????? A pic would be nice :)

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

I have not heard, read or seen that to be an option around here Helene. Something to consider... still there are some pros and cons of having hormones going where they naturally would after age 2.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I chose not to neuter. Ultimately I felt it was better for his health. There are three issues as I see it. It is difficult to find a boarding place that will take intact dogs. Other dogs react to him being intact. He doesn't hump but will spontaneously ejaculate. I haven't figured out the triggers for that yet. He is two now.

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
well thank you... I do think he's a good lookein kid :) and to that.... where's yours ?????????????????? A pic would be nice :)

Lots of Dozer pics with my profile, I don't know how to shrink one down to fit and make it my Avatar (grew up on a Farm, career in Commercial Construction. Technology doesn't come easy to me :no:)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Table 3. Conditions associated with castration
CONDITIONINCIDENCEHEALTH SIGNIFICANCEINCREASED OR DECREASED WITH GONADECTOMY
Testicular neoplasiaHighLowDecreased
Benign prostatic hypertrophyHighLow Decreased
Prostatic neoplasiaLowHighIncreased
Transitional cell carcinomaLowHighIncreased
OsteosarcomaLowHighIncreased
HemangiosarcomaLowHighIncreased
CCL injuryHighHighIncreased
ObesityHighModerateIncreased
Diabetes mellitusHighLowIncreased
HypothyroidismHighLowIncreased

Used with permission from the AKC Canine Health Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the health of all dogs and their owners by funding sound scientific research and supporting the dissemination of health information to prevent, treat, and cure canine disease.
[MENTION=15848]Old School Dropout[/MENTION] This chart was on PetMed The best decision would probably be yours! It seems no matter what we do in life-S*it happens!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In Finland we don't usually neuter or spay dogs without health problems. IF and only IF the problems arise, we do the necessary treatments to cure them.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I find discussions like this very interesting! I think you need to ask why you consider neutering. Is it for medical or behavioural issues? Regarding medical reasons, there are pros and cons and I suppose you just need to decide which option to go with. When it comes to behavioural issues, however, of course one needs to distinguish between aggressive behaviour (where research seems to indicate that some but not all dogs change in behaviour if neutered) and what can be described as normal dog behaviour. Some dogs hump and some don't - and those who do can I guess be trained not to. All dogs sniff each other's behinds and that is just normal. There are polite dogs who are perceptive to other dogs' signals and then there are dogs that just don't get it when being told off (dogs are like people, I guess!).

What is really interesting here is that neutering is not only a medical/behavioural issue but also very much a cultural one. Just like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] says about Finland, in Sweden too most dogs are intact and it's not a problem. We have never considered neutering Castor (although he has a retained testicle which might be considered a medical reason to neuter). As RiiSi says, if there are problems, we deal with them when they arise, not long before, 'just in case'.

Re daycare - sounds very odd that all male dogs need to be neutered to attend day care? Wouldn't it be better then that female dogs are not allowed there when in heat or that they are kept in a separate house during that short period twice a year or so? Castor goes once or twice a year to a boarding kennel and I read on their homepage that they would rather not have female dogs in heat, but as bookings sometimes are planned long in advance, they cater for it if needed. I don't think they would dream of demanding that male dogs be neutered.

Then there's another thing to consider too. With relatively small dog populations (as in countries like Sweden) it is of course important not to neuter 'by default' as that will lead to inbreeding if there are too few dogs being bred.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Lots of Dozer pics with my profile, I don't know how to shrink one down to fit and make it my Avatar (grew up on a Farm, career in Commercial Construction. Technology doesn't come easy to me :no:)

oh boy he's really nice!!! beautiful boy!! love the pictures thanks for directing in that direction... enjoyed :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.