Anyone else have issues with Seresto flea/tick collars?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I put a Seresto collar on Chunky last weekend since it was time for a flea and tick preventative and he has had an upset stomach twice since then. I fasted him 3 days ago and he did well for two days and today I came home to a mess and he immediately ran outside and went some more. I am wondering if this is because of the collar or possibly something else

His diet hasn't changed recently other than him eating some beef brisket thursday night for his birthday and he was fine the next two days after that

He has had somewhat loose stools a day or two per week recently but I figured that was mostly from over feeding him and was slowly cutting back. The problem was the treats given to him by the people at the local restaurants we stop at daily plus his regular amount of food.

I will probably talk to the vet tomorrow and see what she suggest and he has always taken an oral prevenative before but I was trying to avoid giving him something orally anymore

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
i'd absolutely check into that with vet... I used the Seresto on recommendation from vet and (someone else) for my Shih Tzu's and worked great for one and not the other. I was told it was like a miracle collar and then told the opposite... I will love to hear input... Actually, there were three dogs involved and I would rotate the collar so it didn't stay on one too long.. Kinda weird but it was good at the time.. Only one of the kids seemed to have that reaction yours is having. This was a few years back and well, like I said, i'll love to hear if these are ok these days as I'm hating the thought of using ANYTHING but know it will be necessary.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
For now I have the collar off of him and I will try to get his bowels back to normal. I went almost all of last year without giving him anything for fleas and ticks. The local news keeps talking about ticks this year saying they are worse than normal so I was trying to avoid him getting any on him

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=2]Adverse Side Effects NOT listed Seresto by Bayer[/h] WARNING - Adverse Side Effects NOT listed:
“Seresto” anti-flea and tick collars that contain a nicotine chemical (imidacloprid) that can cause seizures, thyroid gland damage, mutations, abortions and birth defects, (and is a class of widely used agricultural chemicals implicated in the catastrophic demise of honey bees, banned by the European Commission in 2013 for 2 years in Europe); and a pyrethrin chemical (flumethrin) that can cause nausea, vomiting, stoke and seizures among other harmful side effects.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My vet was talking about that collar, but I told her no... I honestly don't like putting a collar on my pups at all. I don't know what I'm going to do regarding the flea/tick situation this year. I give my guys Sentinel which is supposed to keep the flea population down (birth control) but they never had any on them last year.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
awful news on the seresto and they are REAL expensive and at the time sounded like the perfect solution :( Now very scary knowing the possible dangers.. Just an fyi,,,,,, I am horrified to say that my one girl did end up with seizures (she is the one who wore the colar the least ) and i never connected this...Makes me sick to think that that dearest girl to my heart may have had them due to that! :( As for Hank, We didnt have a single flea last year on either dog (using only lemon, and or vinagar) and im guessing i'll wait and see how this year goes b4 i do something else... fortunately, and (un fortunately) we are going on a fishing trip so just may have to do something for ticks as that area may be an issue....

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am taking him to the vet at 11:30 and will see what they say and recommend.

Its crazy how the other bulldog that I fed dog food from Walmart and put the flea/tick drops on her neck never had any issues but the one that I try feeding great food and thought I was doing a healthier alternative to the drops has issues regularly. Chunky is my favorite dog yet though

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
awful news on the seresto and they are REAL expensive and at the time sounded like the perfect solution :( Now very scary knowing the possible dangers.. Just an fyi,,,,,, I am horrified to say that my one girl did end up with seizures (she is the one who wore the colar the least ) and i never connected this...Makes me sick to think that that dearest girl to my heart may have had them due to that! :( As for Hank, We didnt have a single flea last year on either dog (using only lemon, and or vinagar) and im guessing i'll wait and see how this year goes b4 i do something else... fortunately, and (un fortunately) we are going on a fishing trip so just may have to do something for ticks as that area may be an issue....

Yeah I was really hoping the Seresto would be right for him. Ticks are the big reason I put the collar on him and he gets walked through taller grass going down to the lake regularly by the neighbor who walks him and I take him through it also. My yard is sprayed regularly by the lawn care guy so I shouldn't have anything in my yard but I am sure the empty lots and the trail down to the lake would have ticks especially since there is a lot of deer and other wildlife around

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ugh...I have no experience with the collar. I give Sentinel Spectrum but that isn't for ticks but luckily I don't have to worry about ticks in Seattle. Hopefully you can get some answers and he will start to feel better soon! Keep us posted.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I am taking him to the vet at 11:30 and will see what they say and recommend.

Its crazy how the other bulldog that I fed dog food from Walmart and put the flea/tick drops on her neck never had any issues but the one that I try feeding great food and thought I was doing a healthier alternative to the drops has issues regularly. Chunky is my favorite dog yet though

omg!!! no kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to this I can say that... My shih Tzu girl was fed top notch, oh so carful with everything as well,!! while !!! her sister, who was owned by my sister ate Walmart food, and not babied in the least and she outlived my girl... danged if we do and danged if we don't!! I totally get ya on this one!!!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Well the vet says most likely the Seresto was the issue and gave me a NexGuard to try in a few days along with something for colitis. She said with me removing the collar and him having a normal bowel movement this morning its most likely the collar. The did a fecal exam and didn't notice anything abnormal

I am about to start feeding him Alpo and start using the drops again and toughen him up!! Just kidding

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well the vet says most likely the Seresto was the issue and gave me a NexGuard to try in a few days along with something for colitis. She said with me removing the collar and him having a normal bowel movement this morning its most likely the collar. The did a fecal exam and didn't notice anything abnormal

I am about to start feeding him Alpo and start using the drops again and toughen him up!! Just kidding

I am cracking up cause I almost said the same.... toughen them up dang it!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

The collar is probably too string for him... i have used Vectra 3D for about many yrs without issue. One time i did was my fault, i broke the tube and spill it on Cheli he vomited twice and was not himself for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky seems to be back to normal now and i guess I will wait a few days and give him the NexGuard and see how well he does with it. The Vet offered Bravecto and I thought back to reading another thread about not ever giving that to your dog in the past and I said maybe something weaker than doesn't last so long. He weighed 64lbs this visit and was down 1lb from his last visit. I think the vet was surprised he didn't gain more weight after being neutered or something

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Chunky seems to be back to normal now and i guess I will wait a few days and give him the NexGuard and see how well he does with it. The Vet offered Bravecto and I thought back to reading another thread about not ever giving that to your dog in the past and I said maybe something weaker than doesn't last so long. He weighed 64lbs this visit and was down 1lb from his last visit. I think the vet was surprised he didn't gain more weight after being neutered or something

I seriously don't know what to do about the flea/tick issue... my lawn care gave me a flyer that they are now treating yards for fleas/ticks. I may have to do some research on it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.