Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Drink Water

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Default Won't Drink Water

Hey, just wondering if anyone has had this problem. Busters won't drink water. In the summer he drank lots, but ever since winter came, he refuses to drink any water and only eats snow. Now the snow is all gone and he still drinks no water. I have to keep giving him ice cubes because he thinks they are treats. I give him fresh water and put ice in it and everything, but he just turns his nose up at it. Do you think he will start drinking again when the weather gets warmer?
    Dee & Busters (aka Bustys)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Won't Drink Water

He will need to! Try putting some broth of some sort in the water to see if it will be more enticing? That has been mentioned on here before. Get the natural broth tho= not the salty stuff with all the added junk. Also since you are hydrating him with ice cubes, and his love for the snow..... perhaps he has 'trained' you to give him cold fluid. You may want to try not giving him cubes for a while before trying the water with broth so you know he is thirsty. I hope he drinks for you! Bottoms up!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Is he eating okay?

That seems really odd. He needs water to live.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

I've never heard of a dog refusing to drink water unless they were sick. Is he completely healthy?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullet {booboo}
    Likes (Received)

just a quick thought...could it be the dish he is drinking (or should be drinking from)??? i find that i must clean my Bullet's stainless dish almost daily as it gets a slimy slobber in it. or maybe try a purified water (assuming you give him tap). hope he starts drinking soon....water is a MUST!
    Amy

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I would think that instinct would kick in and he would eventually drink. I don't think dogs are smart enough to starve themselves or force themselves to not do something their bodies need. As long as he is healthy. He should start again soon. Just don't give in with the ice cubes etc....Watch him closely for a day or two, he may be drinking more than you know.

Always with me

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

sure sounds like he sure did love that snow and misses the heck out of it

sorry on the serious note i would try what desertsky said to do and not to do... i do know that when we go to jeff's parents house lex will hardly drink or eat cause hes not used to their enviroment and water and the smells are different etc.. but he is fine when we go to my mom and step dads...weird i know lol...
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

thanks everyone --- he is healthy (other than his cleft palate!). What I mean is -- the not drinking water isn't seeming to negatively effect him. He still eats and pees and poops and everything. The bad thing though is that we want him to drink after eating to wash any food debris out of his palate. He really hasn't had much water since the summer! I give him ice because I worry that he isn't getting enough fluids. I will try that broth idea -- that is a good plan. Also, I do think that once he is outside more and such that he will start to drink again. Last summer we had a tiny kiddie pool and he drank out of that all the time. When we took him on a trip a few months ago and he was stuck in the hotel room with no ice or snow, he did drink! Maybe I will hold off on the cubes and see if it helps.
    He is so much trouble! But cute trouble

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

After your last post I'm thinking that he's getting plenty of fluids from the ice you're giving him, otherwise he'd be showing signs of becoming ill. Maybe you should try and hold off on the ice and see what happens!!

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

I took him for a nice long walk and by the time we got home he was panting really hard. I got him a nice, fresh bowl of water and he went to the fridge and started to beg for ice. I said no -- you have water and walked away. He went into the middle of the floor and layed down and panted and fell asleep. No water. Then we went up to my father-in-law's for dinner and brought him with us. He played outside and their yard still has snow, as they live at a higher elevation -- so I think he got his fill on the snow. But I was so surprised that even after a long tiring walk, he still refused to drink! He is stubborn!

Lucy-licious

Stubborn eh! Now thats a surprise

Stick with it, that he went to the fridge for ice when given water shows that he has trained you do do what he wants! show me a bully that doesnt train his/her owner
    He will sulk but I doubt very much that he would go without water for long. Try not to feel guilty! as you know he needs water and during the summer you cant supply ice 24/7, so you are doing this for him.

Not giving our babies something they like so much is very hard but in this case I would say its a necesity.
    Hang in there chick

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@DeeDee The broth really helped with Chunk when he his belly wasn't feeling great. I actually put a little bit of broth (1/4 cup or so) in his bowl pretty often now that I've seen how much more he will drink! I've often considered getting him one of those water bottle thingies like hamsters have ... they make them for dogs and I thought he might like it. I used to have this drinking issue with Julia when she was younger too ... I'm hoping he outgrows it like she did!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads