cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=17164]Bravobrad950[/MENTION] checking in on Bella - how is she doing after her entropion surgery?

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
We are contemplating the surgery for our younger bulldog too. She is my baby, and I am super nervous but absolutely hate the thought of her being in pain. Vet thought she may grow out of it but she's almost three now, so she's not growing much more. We also are pretty sure both our dogs have allergies so sometimes it's hard to tell what's causing the watering, but I can see the eyelashes rubbing when the vet or ophthalmologist show me. Thank you all for your information and kindness, which I've only just started to see as I've just registered but was reading through. Have a great weekend!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION] Two of my bullies had entropion surgery, and one had nares done at the same time. My vet did not give any meds,they had to wear the cone for 2 weeks. They did just fine. It took them about 4 days to learn to motivate with the cone! If the eye lashes are rubbing the eye, she will eventually have serious eye problems-just imagine if you had something rubbing your eyeball-how bad it feels! If you have a vet you trust, she will be fine.

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Super weird - all of a sudden this weekend our Sophie opened her worse eye completely and appeared to be in absolutely no pain. It was barely wet/watery at all, and we couldn't stop staring at her, as we've NEVER seen her whole eyeball like this until now! She will be three in August; is it possible that she somehow hit the magic stage where she actually grew out of it??? We have surgery still set for next week, but at this point she looks like she already had it! We don't want to put her through it if she is feeling great. I realize she may still have to have it someday, and obviously don't want her eye to get worse, but what would you do?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Super weird - all of a sudden this weekend our Sophie opened her worse eye completely and appeared to be in absolutely no pain. It was barely wet/watery at all, and we couldn't stop staring at her, as we've NEVER seen her whole eyeball like this until now! She will be three in August; is it possible that she somehow hit the magic stage where she actually grew out of it??? We have surgery still set for next week, but at this point she looks like she already had it! We don't want to put her through it if she is feeling great. I realize she may still have to have it someday, and obviously don't want her eye to get worse, but what would you do?

I would have the vet check it before you make any decisions... I do not have experience with cherry eye, but [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] might have some insight

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would have the vet check it before you make any decisions... I do not have experience with cherry eye, but @ddnene might have some insight

Agreed, let the vet look at it and see if somehow it corrected itself... it's totally possible.

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, it's not cherry eye at all. I wish I could post a pic but from here I don't have the ability. I do from my ipad though - will try to show you all the difference in her eyes in the last couple days. Thanks everyone!

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I will post a picture as soon as it comes through my email, but Sophie finally had her surgery and I can't say yet how my husband and I really feel about it. She ended up having both eyes done (entropion) and a duct cleared out as well as surgery somehow on the inner corners. She had sutures out yesterday and she was having issues since Saturday with what used to be her "good" eye; she's still not wanting to open it much. When she does, it doesn't look the same as it used to, that's for sure. Anyone have any advice? The Dr. told us to call if it didn't improve by this afternoon, so I did and am waiting on a call back. He couldn't find anything wrong yesterday... Cone is still on just so she won't rub it. I feel so bad!

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 61

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is her sweetness before surgery. It's hard to notice the difference in photos, but her left eye is now somewhat droopy and almost looks overcorrected at the outer corner. Hoping it is still healing, but doubtful. IMG_0041.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will post a picture as soon as it comes through my email, but Sophie finally had her surgery and I can't say yet how my husband and I really feel about it. She ended up having both eyes done (entropion) and a duct cleared out as well as surgery somehow on the inner corners. She had sutures out yesterday and she was having issues since Saturday with what used to be her "good" eye; she's still not wanting to open it much. When she does, it doesn't look the same as it used to, that's for sure. Anyone have any advice? The Dr. told us to call if it didn't improve by this afternoon, so I did and am waiting on a call back. He couldn't find anything wrong yesterday... Cone is still on just so she won't rub it. I feel so bad!

I have no direct experience, but I believe these surgeries the eyes looks worse before they look better
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] may have more insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
... I believe these surgeries the eyes looks worse before they look better
True...recovery should be 100% complete a month or so after stitches are removed. Do not gauge recovery in terms of days...go by weeks.

Once completely healed, it's not uncommon for one eye to look "droopier" than the other. Regardless of how the eyes "look" if the surgery is deemed successful the patient always gets relief.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, as I remember, their
eyes will look a little "droopier" as the area that was touching the eye is removed, and is now with stitches. My two's eyes otherwise looked normal,except for the stitches, and some of the red lining on the bottom showing(normal lining of the inside of the bottom-like if you pulled down on your eye) but no bloody or discharge. The worst part for them(and me) was two weeks of wearing the cone. Just when they got used to maneuvering it,time was up! If you have any doubts, consult your vet-that's his job!
Mine had nothing done,concerning their ducts,but if she can't or won't open her eye, it needs to be checked out!

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you Manydogs and oscarmayer! She got looked at again today and I think she's on her way to recovery. We got some more anti-inflammatories as well as another drop to help with what may be a very minor beginning of an ulcer. I know we are being impatient - it's just so hard! LOL she'll be in the cone another week it looks like, but she seems to be fine with it. She was in great spirits today when we picked her up, so that's always a good sign.

Members online

No members online now.