OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
If you can, I suggest switching to raw. You probably want to avoid any kind of potatoes and maybe even peas (which can be hard). But starch turns to sugar and yeast feeds off of sugar.

There is a kibble that has no potatoes or peas in it that I was giving Jax before I switched him to raw. I can't remember the name right now but I will try to figure it out and let you know. Have you tried novel proteins (kangaroo, rabbit, etc.)?

I appreciate it. Noi have not!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey guys.

I'm frustrated. My 1.5 year old bully has had food allergies since I got him as a puppy. Most recently he was on Natural Balance sweet potato and fish and he was "ok" on it but had yeast, severe tear stains and just was not 100% not to mention he lost interest in the food and began to get an ear infection. So we switched him to TOTW bison and venison, and halfway through the bag his ear infection got worse. Took him to the vet for antibiotics and ear goo to clear it up and it didnt completely clear the infection and itching and licking, so before his first large TOTW bag ran out I went to the food ratings page on here and got a 6 star food to transistion him to and started just yesterday. I got Natures Variety Lid Lamb and Pea. I know it is only the 1st day of transistioning the lamb in his diet, but im starting to take note of any reactions. He peed in the house twice which he hasnt done in months and he has a bump on his face about twi inches above his eye about 1" in diameter. Plus on his back and sides a few bumps popping up. We only did one feeding 1 cup of natures variety lamb with the 1 cup totw.

I should wait this out right? To see how he really does on the lamb? Can someone help me understand if lamb is a good option for allergies? We are feeling like potatoes, chicken, fish, are just not good for him and i was trying to find him something unrelated and it specifically says on the rating section that the NV rabbit isn't recommended by english bulldog news because it is sourced from china.

The breeder had him on purina proplan!!!

Here are foods I've tried since getting him at 3 mos all grain free
Wellness Puppy (loose stools)
Fromm Surf and Turf (allergic reaction requiring antibiotics)
Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish (allergic/ears, yeast, itch, licking, same as above)
Taste of the Wild bison and venison (did not improve allergy issue)
Natures Variety lid lamb and pea(1st day peed in house twice, large bump on face and few popping up on body)Please post if you have experience with this!!!

So from what is see on your list you need to stay away from anything that has fish...Then there's TOTW which has tons of recall on regular basis.

Like mentioned you need a full blood test and get it over with. Again according to the food list for sure stay way from it all. For lamb n peas seems the recipe was changed. Read all the way down the link what people are saying about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Instinct-Gra...=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#

If I were you for now, try Acana or orijen without any fish so read the ingredients till you can get a blood test done.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Thanks everyone! Ill look into these options and try to get him tested.

For now... just hoping these huge bumps on his face and body from that one feeding go down. I gave him two benedryls, and fed him the totw alone. Cleaned his ears and face. No treats for weeks now, just hoping he feels better soon on his own for tonight. Thanks again!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks everyone! Ill look into these options and try to get him tested.

For now... just hoping these huge bumps on his face and body from that one feeding go down. I gave him two benedryls, and fed him the totw alone. Cleaned his ears and face. No treats for weeks now, just hoping he feels better soon on his own for tonight. Thanks again!!

Here is a great link for maintenance. It works!!! Keep us posted on how he's doing.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
In addition to the great advice from the others, if you bathe him at home try using medicated shampoo..I use Duoxo and also white vinegar. I fill the tub with warm water and lots of vinegar so the paws can get a good soak while shampooing with the medicated shampoo. This won't solve the allergy issues but does seem to soothe their skin while working through the allergy problem. I also use white vinegar after the final rinse and let it air dry.

I know now it's frustrating, we've got allergy issues with Sadie but the above did help make her more comfortable.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
In addition to the great advice from the others, if you bathe him at home try using medicated shampoo..I use Duoxo and also white vinegar. I fill the tub with warm water and lots of vinegar so the paws can get a good soak while shampooing with the medicated shampoo. This won't solve the allergy issues but does seem to soothe their skin while working through the allergy problem. I also use white vinegar after the final rinse and let it air dry.

I know now it's frustrating, we've got allergy issues with Sadie but the above did help make her more comfortable.

I will try this today his paw are swollen!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I will try this today his paw are swollen!!

Another good paw soak is with povidone iodine. Dilute with water to color of iced tea and then soak paws for 5 minutes.

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Ok guys update. I think he is peeing in the housebecause he doesnt want to go on the grass. Whenever he does go outside he doesnt go to his usual spot, he goes on the concrete and i tried cleaning his paws with witch hazel hast night and he pulled back and ran which he doesnt normally. I checked this morning and it was hard to pull them apart before he ran.

I want to get him a steroid injection but im due to have a baby any moment, and with already paying a vet bill and other unforeseen expenses this month we are low on funds so he wants yo just ride it out and give benedryl and use what we have. We have some hot spot spray from the dr, ACV,white vinegar, benedryl and maleseb shampoo. I think i need to try these first!!

Do you know if this sort of breakout will go away when it runs its course though his system? It was just 1 cup for crying out loud!!

I love my Walter but damn lol the madness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok guys update. I think he is peeing in the housebecause he doesnt want to go on the grass. Whenever he does go outside he doesnt go to his usual spot, he goes on the concrete and i tried cleaning his paws with witch hazel hast night and he pulled back and ran which he doesnt normally. I checked this morning and it was hard to pull them apart before he ran.

I want to get him a steroid injection but im due to have a baby any moment, and with already paying a vet bill and other unforeseen expenses this month we are low on funds so he wants yo just ride it out and give benedryl and use what we have. We have some hot spot spray from the dr, ACV,white vinegar, benedryl and maleseb shampoo. I think i need to try these first!!

Do you know if this sort of breakout will go away when it runs its course though his system? It was just 1 cup for crying out loud!!

I love my Walter but damn lol the madness.

It could be a mix of food and environmental.... continue the Benedryl, 1mg per pound 2x a day. Wipe his paws and face with an unscented baby wipe when he comes in from outside... this could lessen the issues for awhile.

Good luck with your delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Thank you all for your helpful comments! I cant tell you how much they have helped me help him.
Ok i gave him a bath in vinegar water, let maleseb shampoo sit for 10 mins, paws soaking in the tub... etc. dried him off and he seems to be peeing on the grass now and his bumps have decreased in size by at least half so far and it's been like 12 hours. things are looking up, i may be able to delay the allergy test for another month to at least look into local options.

Thanks!!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you all for your helpful comments! I cant tell you how much they have helped me help him.
Ok i gave him a bath in vinegar water, let maleseb shampoo sit for 10 mins, paws soaking in the tub... etc. dried him off and he seems to be peeing on the grass now and his bumps have decreased in size by at least half so far and it's been like 12 hours. things are looking up, i may be able to delay the allergy test for another month to at least look into local options.

Thanks!!!!

Sounds like improvement! Best wishes to you and Walt!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks!!!!

Awesome... stay with it and he'll improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.