Moving to Georgia - need some advice please!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello everybody !
Life changed quickly and my hubby is moving for work to the US, Georgia, close to Atlanta. Now we are packing stuff and organising relocation of our precious Tank. I'm completely freaked out as 1) his flight can't be confirmed until 1 day before we fly due to summer temperatures, as heat is dangerous for bullies, and Lufthansa can decide in the last moment that they don't want to take a risk and if we cannot fly on the planned day, then we stuck probably till autumn, as only 1 company - Lufthansa takes on board flat- faced dogs 2) poor baby has to have two 10 hour flights Beijing- Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Atlanta 3) he flies with cargo and we can't see him in Frankfurt. I'm afraid that he will overheat, he hates small crates, and becomes very nervous, I'm scared that he will have a heart attack.
Besides from this turmoil with Tanks flight, we are pretty excited to go to the US. For me and our daughter it will be first time n the US.
I would like to ask people who know the area - what are your recommendations about what are the things to consider for Tank. I mean, i know that I have to start before flight Heartguard (we are tested and negative) but can you please advise me if there are other important things - like are there ticks? Is area highly allergenic? Any animals/insects/plants dangerous for dogs to be aware of? Any advice will be very helpful. TIA!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My quick advice is,,,,,, Is there anyway you can get him as "emotional support" dog... NOT service dog as that is a whole legal matter (that I respect highly) , but if you can get a dr to feel you need him as emotional support, then he can go on board... I know that is difficult too if it's 10 hours as that is a long time no potty... Oh boy,,, the thing I would hope and pray for is that because they do take flat face dogs, then they must have accommodations for them right? and,,,, Is there anychance you can just book an earlier flight even if just for him and you so you have a couple of chances of making it a sure thing?? So happy your headen our way, but ohhhhhhh the stress of it I don't envy..

EDITED TO ADD . I was all backwards on stuff!!! 1 Chumly has got it nailed!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag a member who just flew her bullies overseas...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What month are you supposed to fly? Having flown back to the US with Chumly, I would do it differently if I ever had to do anything like that again. I flew back the beginning of September and it was still too hot! It was 90 the day we landed and Chumly was stuck in the hold, then on the tarmac for over half an hour. I know because I watched the whole time and was freaking out. He was extremely stressed and scared me to death.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is wait as long as you can, October at least, November would be better. It's already too late to fly now (in the low 90s this week in Atlanta). If you have to stay behind a couple of months without your husband, then please do that. I am not trying to scare you but airlines LIE! They swore to me he would be first off the plane, before passengers, wrong. He would never sit on the tarmac, wrong. There would be someone with him when he was taken out of the hold and an air conditioned van would be waiting, wrong. Chumly was en English dog, used to an English climate, sitting in that heat nearly killed him.

You can put him in a bigger crate than he needs. You just pay more. DO NOT give him any sedatives.

Make sure he has a valid rabies certificate. That was the only thing customs asked me for but different customs officers/airports may vary.

Lots of luck with your move and please keep us informed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH MY!! I'm stressed for you.... I have no experience with this but will send you lots of positive thoughts and prayers tit all goes well.
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] just flew from South Africa to Sweden ... she may have some insight

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know this sounds odd but what about boat? Cargo that is. We have students that use to cross the world by freight cargo at fraction of the price. Students saved a lot of money like that. Not the Ritz but safer for Tank. Just a thought.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Is there a relative who can keep him until mid-November and then ready him for travel and put him on the plane? Did you check British Airways and Air France and their partners?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Also, here in Canada WestJet flies EB. They were talking about flying to China. Not sure if they started.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Once you get to Atlanta...

Go see the Braves play in their new stadium

Visit one of the most awesome aquariums in the world

Drive through northern GA and into the Smokey Mountains of Tenn or NC for a day trip
Rent a home on Lake Nantahala for a long weekend getaway.
Walk trails and visit waterfalls...especially Dry Falls near Highlands, NC

Go to Asheville and see the Biltmore Estate and eat at the most amazing McDonalds in the World

I love that part of SE USA

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Once you get to Atlanta...

Go see the Braves play in their new stadium

Visit one of the most awesome aquariums in the world

Drive through northern GA and into the Smokey Mountains of Tenn or NC for a day trip
Rent a home on Lake Nantahala for a long weekend getaway.
Walk trails and visit waterfalls...especially Dry Falls near Highlands, NC

Go to Asheville and see the Biltmore Estate and eat at the most amazing McDonalds in the World

I love that part of SE USA

Agree with all of the above plus go to Chimney Rock, NC where they filmed Last of the Mohicans (one of my favourite films!). Go to Savannah and Charleston. So much to see and do!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I know this sounds odd but what about boat? Cargo that is. We have students that use to cross the world by freight cargo at fraction of the price. Students saved a lot of money like that. Not the Ritz but safer for Tank. Just a thought.

When we travelled I checked about that but at that time (it may have changed now) only cruise ships such as Queen Mary 2 carry pets and you usually had to book a year in advance. Personally, I think Cargo ships should offer this service!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Agree with all of the above plus go to Chimney Rock, NC where they filmed Last of the Mohicans (one of my favourite films!). Go to Savannah and Charleston. So much to see and do!
Big Yep..."No matter how long it takes, no matter how far. I will find you!"...awesome movie!
and yep...Lunch at Poogan's Porch in Charleston! Mmmmm. Shrimp and grits. Mmmmm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When we travelled I checked about that but at that time (it may have changed now) only cruise ships such as Queen Mary 2 carry pets and you usually had to book a year in advance. Personally, I think Cargo ships should offer this service!!!

8yrs ago I worked in the education field and some of our students did it. They would even pitch in to help around. Was really a good experience for them. They loved it. Worth looking into it if the do cross pets.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I live about 100 miles south of Atlanta! Originally from NY. I do love it here because I hated the snow. It does get very, very hot and humid here. It has already been in the 90's and humid and it's not even summertime yet! Lol
The only cold moths that we have had are really Jan. And February. It has been in the high 70's in December.
We love the new stadium and also the aquarium. There are also lots of state parks, water falls and hiking in Ga.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.