Moving to Georgia - need some advice please!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Love the pictures and so great to hear you are all settled. Now, this might be a really silly question, but do you think there is any difference in how dogs 'talk' to each other in different parts of the world? In other words, does Tank speak the Georgia dog language or will he need to adapt his communication to make himself understood?
It's a very interesting question :D it seems like dogs act pretty much the same everywhere- what concerns tail wagging, sniffing each other's places of interest :blush:etc
I think in general bulldogs look a bit strange for other dogs - flat face, no tail. That's why their body language is difficult for other doggies to read. Especially tail wagging- usually dogs show their friendly intentions with tail wagging and bulldogs have almost no tail:ashamed:
Tank is a real softie and a bit of a coward when he meets other dogs - he is very friendly with other dogs and keen to play, but very often he is barked and snarled at, humped etc. He is brave only at home - barks at chipmunks from behind the closed door:D he will never bark at another doggy, actually in China I had to throw stones and shout myself at a group of stray dogs that wanted to attack him:yes: yesterday a tiny jack Russel terrier mix wanted to eat my poor Tank...he is Mom's boy:yes:

But of course, here in Georgia dogs are very well behaved, trained and people clean poops after them, as opposed to China.
A lot of pit bulls here - people really love them.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Big Yep..."No matter how long it takes, no matter how far. I will find you!"...awesome movie!
and yep...Lunch at Poogan's Porch in Charleston! Mmmmm. Shrimp and grits. Mmmmm.

Wish all movies made had that same level of excellence!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's a very interesting question :D it seems like dogs act pretty much the same everywhere- what concerns tail wagging, sniffing each other's places of interest :blush:etc , I think in general bulldogs look a bit strange for other dogs - flat face, no tail. That's why their body language is difficult for other doggies to read. Especially tail wagging- usually dogs show their friendly intentions with tail wagging and bulldogs have almost no tail:ashamed:Tank is a real softie and a bit of a coward when he meets other dogs - he is very friendly with other dogs and keen to play, but very often he is barked and snarled at, humped etc. He is brave only at home - barks at chipmunks from behind the closed door:D he will never bark at another doggy, actually in China I had to throw stones and shout myself at a group of stray dogs that wanted to attack him:yes: yesterday a tiny jack Russel terrier mix wanted to eat my poor Tank...he is Mom's boy:yes: But of course, here in Georgia dogs are very well behaved, trained and people clean poops after them, as opposed to China. A lot of pit bulls here - people really love them.

OMG...how have I missed this amazing thread!!! What an adventure, and so emotional, my stomach
was in knots thinking of Tank flying alone and such a long travel time & TWO planes! Glad to read I'm
not the only one teared up for you, Natallia, your worry for Tank and for Tank & all the dangers...GOD
IS GOOD and I thank Him that He got all safely to your new home in a new Country...Welcome to the
USA & to the beautiful state of Georgia. May you & yours be blessed, favored & protected of God, Amen!
Loved the pics of Tank, he's a brave & good boy, can only imagine the depth of emotion as you called to
him while waiting for them to get him out of that cage. And Tank hearing Mom's voice then SEEING you!
Like all here, so relieved all went well & y'all are now settled in new home & routine, hugs from Texas :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Thanks Texas Carol for bringing my attention back to this thread.

I'm so happy Tank has arrived and is apparently settled in to his new home. GA is great. I love northern GA but have not been there in several years. I can't wait to get back there. I know you(Tank) and your Mom&Dad, will love it there. Mom...please post more pics of Tank, he's such a handsome boy. Keepin' all'em good looks to yerself just ain't fair. That's N.GA speak, BTW..sort of.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
It's a very interesting question :D it seems like dogs act pretty much the same everywhere- what concerns tail wagging, sniffing each other's places of interest :blush:etc
I think in general bulldogs look a bit strange for other dogs - flat face, no tail. That's why their body language is difficult for other doggies to read. Especially tail wagging- usually dogs show their friendly intentions with tail wagging and bulldogs have almost no tail:ashamed:
Tank is a real softie and a bit of a coward when he meets other dogs - he is very friendly with other dogs and keen to play, but very often he is barked and snarled at, humped etc. He is brave only at home - barks at chipmunks from behind the closed door:D he will never bark at another doggy, actually in China I had to throw stones and shout myself at a group of stray dogs that wanted to attack him:yes: yesterday a tiny jack Russel terrier mix wanted to eat my poor Tank...he is Mom's boy:yes:

But of course, here in Georgia dogs are very well behaved, trained and people clean poops after them, as opposed to China.
A lot of pit bulls here - people really love them.

Great - thanks! Interesting that the main difference seems to be human treatment of dogs and breed-related behaviour rather than cultural differences among dogs themselves. There are some small long-nosed dogs around here that bark like mad when they see Castor too and that must be because bulldogs look so different. Castor is quite cool about it, though - he looks back and then walks up to a tree and lifts his leg, and then he just walks by them.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
OMG...how have I missed this amazing thread!!! What an adventure, and so emotional, my stomach
was in knots thinking of Tank flying alone and such a long travel time & TWO planes! Glad to read I'm
not the only one teared up for you, Natallia, your worry for Tank and for Tank & all the dangers...GOD
IS GOOD and I thank Him that He got all safely to your new home in a new Country...Welcome to the
USA & to the beautiful state of Georgia. May you & yours be blessed, favored & protected of God, Amen!
Loved the pics of Tank, he's a brave & good boy, can only imagine the depth of emotion as you called to
him while waiting for them to get him out of that cage. And Tank hearing Mom's voice then SEEING you!
Like all here, so relieved all went well & y'all are now settled in new home & routine, hugs from Texas :)

Your almost lucky you weren't in on it 'at the time' ... talk about gut retching!!! Sometimes I think we are blessed by catching these things 'after the fact' ;) Sooooooooooooo glad things all turned out just fine :)

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear Carol, this is truly God's blessing that everything went so good, as so many things during this trip could turn awfully wrong. Thank you so much for your kind words and greetings! God bless you and your loved ones including precious furballs!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks Texas Carol for bringing my attention back to this thread.

I'm so happy Tank has arrived and is apparently settled in to his new home. GA is great. I love northern GA but have not been there in several years. I can't wait to get back there. I know you(Tank) and your Mom&Dad, will love it there. Mom...please post more pics of Tank, he's such a handsome boy. Keepin' all'em good looks to yerself just ain't fair. That's NGA speak, BTW..sort of.
Thank you so much for your consideration and your nice words Oscarmayer! Georgia is amazingly beautiful and people are so friendly and welcoming! It's the first time for me in America and I think Georgia is perfect place to start learning about it...I enjoy every second of being here ( and food is so good here - all these Southern things...mmmm)! And yeah, beautiful Southern accent! I think about book and movie Gone with the Wind every moment! When I see Georgia's red soil, typical Atlanta houses or hear locals to speak etc...
Promise to get some more pictures soon!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My brother lives in Peachtree City, and my mother lives in Fayetteville. You will LOVE it there!!!

I'm SORRY I'm so behind on this post... I'm so glad everyone made it safe and sound!!!

Thank you so much Tracey!

Staff online

Members online