Moving to Georgia - need some advice please!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Anxious to know how the trip went? Hoping all went smoothly.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Cyproheptadine (Periactin) is not a sedative, but is a sedating antihistamine that also is good for motion sickness. You could give a 4mg tablet to Tank.

What month are you supposed to fly? Having flown back to the US with Chumly, I would do it differently if I ever had to do anything like that again. I flew back the beginning of September and it was still too hot! It was 90 the day we landed and Chumly was stuck in the hold, then on the tarmac for over half an hour. I know because I watched the whole time and was freaking out. He was extremely stressed and scared me to death.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is wait as long as you can, October at least, November would be better. It's already too late to fly now (in the low 90s this week in Atlanta). If you have to stay behind a couple of months without your husband, then please do that. I am not trying to scare you but airlines LIE! They swore to me he would be first off the plane, before passengers, wrong. He would never sit on the tarmac, wrong. There would be someone with him when he was taken out of the hold and an air conditioned van would be waiting, wrong. Chumly was en English dog, used to an English climate, sitting in that heat nearly killed him.

You can put him in a bigger crate than he needs. You just pay more. DO NOT give him any sedatives.

Make sure he has a valid rabies certificate. That was the only thing customs asked me for but different customs officers/airports may vary.

Lots of luck with your move and please keep us informed!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi everybody from sunny (well, a tiny bit rainy today) Georgia! We are happy to announce that his fluffy highness Tank arrived safely and feels ok.
Well, it was a big ordeal for him. When we got to Atlanta cargo, he was still sitting in cage wrapped with ropes, as they cannot let them out. When I called him while waiting for personnel to give us cage, he couldn't believe it's me talking to him, and then he realised that it's me, he started to jump in his cage. It was very emotional moment when we were able to release him. He weed for 10 minutes probably when I let him out.
Now he is washed, walked out in a beautiful Piedmont park of Atlanta ( we will stay for couple of weeks in Atlanta while our house in Peachtree is furnished) and fed with nice beef. Life is good again! My precious pupsie reunited with his family and says hello to everyone at EBN!
Thank you very much for your support and advice guys. I appreciate it a lot!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi everybody from sunny (well, a tiny bit rainy today) Georgia! We are happy to announce that his fluffy highness Tank arrived safely and feels ok.
Well, it was a big ordeal for him. When we got to Atlanta cargo, he was still sitting in cage wrapped with ropes, as they cannot let them out. When I called him while waiting for personnel to give us cage, he couldn't believe it's me talking to him, and then he realised that it's me, he started to jump in his cage. It was very emotional moment when we were able to release him. He weed for 10 minutes probably when I let him out.
Now he is washed, walked out in a beautiful Piedmont park of Atlanta ( we will stay for couple of weeks in Atlanta while our house in Peachtree is furnished) and fed with nice beef. Life is good again! My precious pupsie reunited with his family and says hello to everyone at EBN!

THANK YOU LORD!!!! I have seriously been thinking of you guys for the last few days just praying that all would go perfect. That's such a frightening experience for both sides, thank goodness all turned out perfectly and Tank is now settling into his new home. Poor baby was probably so scared, but then so excited and relieved to both hear your voice and see you. I know you're swamped with the move and settling in, but when things settle down - we need some new pics of that sweet boy! So happy and relieved........... phewwwwwwwwww.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] So relieved that you and Tank are back together-and SAFE! I have worried about Tank and am very happy that he survived the trip!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

AWESOME!! I got chills and a little teary eyed reading this.... so very happy all are safe, sound and back together! :hug:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Overjoyed and yes teary-eyed as well. Thank the good Lord! I am so over the moon!! . Enjoy your time settling in and pictures :-)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)

Welcome to Georgia!! :)
I love it here (originally fro NY). I love the sun hate and the snow though.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am sooooo pleased all went well and you all arrived safely! You must send us a picture of Tank in his new digs!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great to know everything went well!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Awesome news of his and your families safe arrival!! I have checked daily to see how he did and I am glad he is here safely and back with you

lovemybull

Jan 8, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UB
That's great news that Tank made the trip OK. I live in Atlanta and I already worry about mine spending too much time in the sun, especially during the warm seasons. For vets, DeKalb Animal Hospital (Dr. Rush owns the practice, owns bullies; Dr. Roberts is excellent) knows bullies- but they are expensive. Galleria Animal Clinic in Birmingham, AL is good if you get a chance to go (2 hours away). While in Atlanta, you may see allergies pop up because of the local greenery (pine, dogwood, Bermuda grass)- just watch out for them. I wipe feet after each trip outside to make sure nothing is on them that's not supposed to be. Good luck to your family with your new home and welcome to Georgia!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That's great news that Tank made the trip OK. I live in Atlanta and I already worry about mine spending too much time in the sun, especially during the warm seasons. For vets, DeKalb Animal Hospital (Dr. Rush owns the practice, owns bullies; Dr. Roberts is excellent) knows bullies- but they are expensive. Galleria Animal Clinic in Birmingham, AL is good if you get a chance to go (2 hours away). While in Atlanta, you may see allergies pop up because of the local greenery (pine, dogwood, Bermuda grass)- just watch out for them. I wipe feet after each trip outside to make sure nothing is on them that's not supposed to be. Good luck to your family with your new home and welcome to Georgia!
Oh, thank you so much for valuable information! I will definitely go and see one of these vets you've recommended. Thank you very much!

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi again guys, so sorry for not replying in time for your nice messages, but last week was a bit crazy- we had to do a lot to settle here (bank account, car etc). So far we doing very well, Tank feels happy and relaxed again and is back to his naughty tricks. I'm a bit nervous yet to drive around as I never had such a big car before, always drove Mini's :)but in America it's not an option :D
Area is amazing, I've never been to a big city so green! A lot of wildlife just in the centre of Atlanta. Makes you feel so nice to see herons and huge geese (they are so big, I thought first it's a baby ostrich), squirrels and chipmunks. We already were very lucky to have Jazz festival in Piedmont park last weekend, and as we stay just meters from the park, we could listen to music just through our windows. TAnk disapproves festivals, as dogs are not allowed into park during big events :no: Our friends took us to concert of Kool and the Gang in LaGrange last Sunday and it was amazing.
Everyone loves him here, people often say that he is a beautiful dog. He is amazed with hordes of squirrels and chipmunks in the Piedmont Park and right in front of our place where we stay before we can move into our house in Peachtree city in 2 weeks. I am cooking him food, in nearby pet shop they tried to propose us Stella and Chewy raw food, but he simply refused to eat it. Just smelled it and left it. But I bought him green tripe and add into his food (God, it smells!).
So for we are very good! Thank you so much for your support and greetings!

Members online

No members online now.