Do people ever mistake your bully for a more aggressive breed?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Pitbulls are banned in my province or at least the city because of their aggressiveness. I know, I know, aggression is due to the owners, not the dog. But you know how politics can be.

I just had a client walk in and got scared at first because he thought Stig was a pitbull. :eek:. Then after 10 mins he noticed his very calm demeanor and became so interested in petting him. lol. And this isn't the first time he was mistaken for one.

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
YES!! Everytime I go to Petsmart or Petco, some fool thinks my Gia is some ferocious dog......And I've actually had kids start crying because we walked in the same aisle as them!! Really, people, if your kids are scared to death of dogs, why would you bring them to a Petsmart on a Saturday??!!! Come on people!!! Because then after somebody's kid starts squalling, then immediately everybody starts looking around and they see me and Gia, and it's instant "first impression" of bad dog. I can't tell you how aggravating that is for me!! She's just 7 months old, and would rather lick you to death than anything.......

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Yes and in my opinion...it is the underbite, after they get over the fact that "NO he is not a pit-bull" they move on about his bottom teeth sticking out and I always get---does he bite?? Vegas NEVER has bit a soul, he would lick or hump you to death first. My response has always been and will always be--he has never bit anyone yet. I can not guarantee he wouldn't but I would faint and fall over if he did. But even my new neighbors commented ONE TO MANY TIMES that it is on my nerves, that he looks like he could take a chunk out of someone's leg!!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We had a trainer come over to the house the other week and actually tell me bulldogs are an aggressive breed .. is she crazy? :yes: How a dog acts is usually how it was raised, but both of my bullies LOVE people and getting petted.Everyone was always afraid of Cass because her teeth were always sticking out on her bottom jaw. But once they got over their fear and saw she was just a big dope, then the teeth aren't so big.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Vegas looks more like he could take a chunk out of somebody's hamburger than somebody's leg;). Poor guy

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Good one [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]! I agree with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]. It is those teeth sticking out that make people think they are mean!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm thinking maybe it's that 'look in the eye for attention' thing they all do too.

[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] - Very surprised that your trainer thought that. Did she think Belly was a pitbull too? ha.

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
Ah-Ha!! ...... This is my first bullie, and she's only 7 months old. But now that you said that about their underbite, I believe it is the fact that her teeth show that scares the kiddies....haha, that's hilarious 'cause she's such a clown ....My shihtzu is meaner than her!!! :p

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] ....she was just an idiot. She made us put a collar on Belly and then she kept yanking on her neck. She hurt her once, Belly yipped and she said "Oh did I scare you?" . I was ready to scalp that lady :angry:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I just thought of this, I bet people that live in areas where there is a school, university, etc that has the EB as a mascot this isn't such an issue. Like in Georgia or Fresno, California. I lived in Fresno for almost a year and Fresno State University's mascot is the bulldog, anyone that saw him when we lived there knew right away that Samson was a bully. He got alot of attention there because while everyone knew what the EB looks like not many people actually owned one because Fresno isn't a very affluent city so not many people were able to actually afford one.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We don't get many people that seem afraid of HRH, but I think the fact that she's a smaller bully is part of it. The pink sweaters might help too, although they don't stop people from calling her a he.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I havent ran into this yet. People do ask what kind of dogs they are. I would have thought was obvious

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
They are celebrities at the pet store...and around the lake association. Only a few have asked if they were pit bulls. Once they learned other wise...they were not fearful.

Now...our one neighbor. Used to deliver newspapers which makes him an expert on ALL dogs. :rolleyes: Says he's not afraid of Tank. But wouldn't trust Sarge period! He's scared to death of him. And if Sarge is out in the yard refuses to stop and talk. Because...he "used to deliver newspapers and knows these things"

Now my dogs have never bit a sole. BUT...if one was more apt to bite I would choose the Tank over Sarge any day. For...he's my grumbly bear. He hates to be disturbed when he sleeps. Sarge you can wake him from a dead sleep and he's rarin' to play and wrestle. Tank also has the traditional bullie greeting. Bullie Butt Wiggle. Sarge...does NOT. For his lil' tail actually can wiggle. So he stands wiggling his tail. And what they see is this bulldog stance dog that isn't greeting them as friendly as Tank. Who's about to go into a seizure any minute if he's not petted.

I agree with the underbite comment. I think they do make them appear more aggressive. I had one person tell me that Tank carries a two prong hole punch around with him. Due to his underbite.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I know Bertie got some serious looks at Petco the other day...I think it was people just didn't know what to think about her new shirt that she was wearing. It said "I LOVE CATS!...They taste like chicken!"

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online