Overgrown gums?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Over time, I noticed that Porkchop's bottom teeth were disappearing. I thought he was grinding them down. The vet told me yesterday his gums are overgrown, a trait in some bulldogs. She said there was a surgical option but they will grow back. Pork is 7 years old now, eats well enough. The vet did not give an opinion but the look on her face was "I wouldn't recommend it."

Anyone else with a bulldog with overgrown gums? Any complications or adverse health effects if untreated?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I first had to mention to Hank let's not do that one too! Anyway , no experience with that yet and will be interested to see if others have and what they do about it . I was thinking you were talking about just those front teeth as that wouldn't seem much of a problem but do you mean the whole bottom row?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5840]paw7004[/MENTION] I personally haven't had this problem(yet) I would feel like if he is eating okay, and his mouth doesn't bother him,why take a chance. I would check his gums every once in awhile, to make sure there is no hair or food stuck.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would try to brush his teeth daily, won't help with the growth, but will help prevent complications.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Never heard of anyone having the gum overgrowth trimmed away. Aging bullies can have this happen. Go with the look on your Vet's face.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Cami has this condition, dx'ed a couple years ago when she was 7 yrs old.

Researched this and decided it wasn't worth the risk of putting her under and,
it grows back. I'd lost my 1st bulldog in dental surgery so unless it's life threatening, NO.
My Vet also wasn't for it, I decided to manage it with softer foods, no hard chews or toys,
nothing that will make her gums sore or bleed or tear such as chewing on sticks, etc. I'd
use a dental cleaning spray on her teeth and try to have her teeth examined every now
& then for hair & stuff stuck in-between teeth & gums but that's about it really. Luckily, it
grows slowly, Cami's extra gum tissue looks about the same as 2 yrs ago. They don't really
chew their food as much as gulp it whole anyways so doesn't cause issues for her :)

Best of luck to y'all.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
2nd the vet's face!!!

2017-05-13-22-31-02-763898783.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd let it be and keep an eye for any potential issues, but unless there is a life threatening issue... enjoy the gummy smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
The gums are growing throughout the mouth. I only noticed the bottom front teeth because they have just slowly disappeared. The vet pointed out that it affects the whole gum line, top and bottom. So far it hasn't affected his eating. He's had two events that he had to have general anesthesia and though he went through that with flying colors, it's not something I want to do, especially for elective surgery, now that he is 7 years old.

I do use PetzLife Dental Gel (from Amazon) to keep the plaque from building up on his teeth. It worked wonders on my dachshunds, by the way. Use it for one week and the brown stuff flakes off with a little scraping.The wiener dogs had nasty teeth! Then I used it once a week. That $20 bottle was more effective than the $375 dental cleaning.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm with the others in that if he has no issues with eating, and it doesnt seem to cause him any pain, let it be. Just keep on with your routine of keeping his teeth cleaned. I personally am at the point where unless its life threatening, I'm not putting Tyson under. Almost lost him once.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.