Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Here we go again. Pebbles will be 8 months old 5-28-17,

We have had a tough time potty training her & at 8 months old I am baffled.

She has done great for a few weeks. Last Saturday I mentioned to my wife that she has not pee'd in the house in 4 or 5 days. ( always in the same place in the kitchen 4 ft from water bowl) 5 minutes later there was a puddle.

We have a dog door & she spends a lot of time outside. ALWAYS poops outside.

Last night getting home there was a puddle. I looked at her & asked " did you potty" she looks down & runs out the dog door. She knows what she is doing is wrong.

I cleaned it up, walked in the bedroom to change, came back to the kitchen & there is another puddle in the same place.

I take her outside every hour, but with he dog door she knows. I praise her each time & give her a small training treat.

She can hold it all night in the crate, when we we were using ( stopped when the peeing stopped)

Luckily we have tile floors. I have used the miracle stuff that is supposed to stop them from going back to the same place, but it does not work.

She stealth pees. My wife will be on the computer 5 ft away & miss her waling by to pee.

at our wits end

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It can be frustrating for sure. Just keep doing what you're doing and she will eventually get it. I took Lala nearly 16 months to stop pooping her kennel...never peeing, just poop.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
I just want to bang my head against the wall. She KNOWS that she has done wrong, I can see it when I ask if she pottied....

Even my 2 shar peis that I would describe as " not the sharpest tool in the shed" were potty trained in 2 weeks....

It's just frustrating. I am going on vacation for 5 days this summer & I am scared to death of what my house will look like when I get back...

My mom is coming over to feed & spend time with them but she can't see all that well & I don't want a 76 yr old mom on her knees cleaning up pee.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Just curious, what type of personality does she have? Submissive, mischievous, shy, etc? Sadie is a "spite" pee kind of girl. When she gets mad or doesn't think she's getting enough attention she will squat and pee in the house right in front of us. Then looks at us like ..what are you going to do about it?

btw, Sadie is almost 5 and knows she's being naughty. :stars:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just curious, what type of personality does she have? Submissive, mischievous, shy, etc? Sadie is a "spite" pee kind of girl. When she gets mad or doesn't think she's getting enough attention she will squat and pee in the house right in front of us. Then looks at us like ..what are you going to do about it?

Jax used to do the spite pee. And it was always on his bed and he would look at us while doing it. He is 4 now and doesn't do it anymore.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

This is just one woman's opinion so take it for what it's worth...I absolutely do not believe that dogs possess emotions like "spite", "mad", "hate", "getting even" etc... only humans stoop that low. Dogs aren't that petty. Maybe because you are giving her treats every time she pees outside, she is peeing inside to get more treats i.e. More peeing equals more treats... just a thought.

"My dog doesn't worry about the meaning of life. She may worry if she doesn't get her breakfast, but she doesn't sit around worrying about whether she will get fulfilled or liberated or enlightened. As long as she gets some food and a little affection, her life is fine." Joko Beck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles

BOSS personality. Very friendly but dominant personality. Great, I may have yrs of this to come.

Glad my wife picked the breed cause if had been me we would both be living in the garage.

Don't get me wrong, pebbles is daddy's girl. I feed, bathe, vitamins, vet, pick up poop, walk, clean up pee, etc...

i definately have fallen in love with the breed. but this peeing & EATING POOP is getting old.

If I miss a turd, she will eat it.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ugggg, sorry that you and Pebbles are going through this. Question, have you ever considered getting rid of the doggie door and going way back to basics BUT using a leash?

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Sometimes eating poop is a vitamin deficiency (not always). May want to make sure she doesn't have a UTI. She'll more than likely out grow the issues, with just as occasional "accident". Sadie doesn't do it often. U may also try using straight white vinegar in a spray bottle to clean up..its cheap and works great.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
This may be the path to take!

You've been at this way longer than I Chip, but I will share a little success story for [MENTION=16778]Andy T[/MENTION] (there is light at the end of the tunnel)

Same situation, different dog breed, around the same age. Friend had same setup, doggie door and experiencing SAME ISSUE. Here is what he did (his dog was daddy's girl too by the way)

Stopped immediately using the doggie door. She was TAKEN outside for every potty break, on the leash, no more deciding on her own. IF SHE did not eliminate outside he kept her on the leash inside and with him. She did start to pee twice but he was right there (she was on leash) and really made sure she knew that he was NOT HAPPY and took her immediately outside, walked with her until she peed and went NUTS with praise. It only took about 5 days of this and BOOM......problem solved.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I defiantly second this! Only I had to be carful with the "going nuts" part as she would stop mid pee (not hank) and also learned to fake pee just see me spaz.. So, that's just the only difference,,, depending on the dog they may need going nuts, or just a 'good kid' kinda thing..

You've been at this way longer than I Chip, but I will share a little success story for [MENTION=16778]Andy T[/MENTION] (there is light at the end of the tunnel)

Same situation, different dog breed, around the same age. Friend had same setup, doggie door and experiencing SAME ISSUE. Here is what he did (his dog was daddy's girl too by the way)

Stopped immediately using the doggie door. She was TAKEN outside for every potty break, on the leash, no more deciding on her own. IF SHE did not eliminate outside he kept her on the leash inside and with him. She did start to pee twice but he was right there (she was on leash) and really made sure she knew that he was NOT HAPPY and took her immediately outside, walked with her until she peed and went NUTS with praise. It only took about 5 days of this and BOOM......problem solved.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles

Good idea but not feasable. I have 2 other dogs which one has no eyes (glaucoma). We will just have to figure out how to train with dog door.

No accidents today[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
She eats: 1-1.25 cups of Fromm puppy food, 1/2 can green beens, herbsmith probiotics, missing link, coconut oil.
Don't know what she may be missing.

Open to suggestions

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles