If 1 more person says my dog is funny looking,ugly, or wrong, I may CHOKE them.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I am sooo tired of hearing aww he soo ugly. Are you sure he's a bulldog? Is he a boxer? Is he supposed to look like that? Are you sure he isn't a mutt? He's an English bulldog? Are you sure? He's awful skinny. .These are comments I have heard by people with bulldogs for crying out loud. Even though he is a rescue , I'm sure he is a pure bulldog. I have akc papers , I talked to the breeder and the vet that delivered him! NO he is not fat but fat isn't healthy. He is a very healthy weightt .Yes he is a little tall but the vet says he will grow tall first then wide,and he is just going to be a big boy. No he probably isn't a show quality dog, but I got him out of someones garage and I couldn't care less if he meets breed standards. I couldn't care less if the vet told me he was actually a goldfish! He is MY dog. No he is not ugly. Yes i'm sure he is not a boxer. DOOR KNOBS!:angry: Sometimes people can be so rude , often without meaning to. It makes me so mad. I don't tell you that your kids are ugly (even though I often think my dog is cuter than they are) Sorry just needed to vent.

DSCF0003.jpg
:heart:
DSCF0008.jpg

Last edited:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I think he's very handsome! When Bertie was a little pup, I heard the same thing...people said she looked like a baby boxer, and they asked if I was sure she was a English Bullie. She even got kind of tall (I thought so anyway) and then she grew into everything, her face grew into her muzzle, her body grew into her legs and now....there is no doubt to anyone that sees her that she is an English Bulldog.

Bailey McCandless

Feb 24, 2011
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blake, Bentley, Brittany
I have had so many people ask me when i first got Blake if he was a boxer. I got aggravated real quick so I know what you mean. I agree he is cute. that is all that matters

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I also get confused looks as my Bulldog is taller than most. He was the largest of a litter of nine pups. I purchased him from a breeder and I saw his mom and dad and they are standard size.
IMG_115.jpg

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] from 1 beautiful bullies mum to another beautiful bullies mum Dozer is adorable:luv:
He is a growing baby and, I am sure everyone will agree, our babies grow up first then out :)

As for others maybe you should start saying " hmmm your daughter seems freakishly tall....are you sure she's human?? Could she be part alien or something like that?"

And i'm sorry but Bully owners that question authentisity of another persons dog are not only rude but Snobs :angry:
Tell them to go take a jump in he river :angry:

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeell, just like my Duke (who is now almost 7 years old and weighs 87.6 lbs.) they are definitely English Bulldogs. English Bulldogs have two distinct styles........short body........and long body........Duke is a long body.......just as yours is. It took two years for Duke to completely fill out. The short bodies are not as healthy (in most cases) as a long body. That is simply because the short bodies have more of the dwarf genes found in their DNA makeup. More and more long bodies (thanks to breeders efforts to to try and breed out the dwarf genes) are showing up in litters. So much so, that the AKC has been looking at changing some of the standards of the breed for show competition. Another words English Bulldogs are still in development stage of a mixture of what they represent today and changing back to the original standards of the AKC almost 150 years ago before dwarfism caused all the genetic changes. Great looking bulldogs!!!
The only difference I see (and this may be because of your camera angle) is the amount of wrinkles in their faces......Duke has 5 wrinkles....which is 2 more than the average bulldog. When he was growing everybody thought he was a Sharpi.:confused:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I think he is beautiful. Tell them to suck an egg. lol

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
People on facebook all the time tell me what a cute boxer I have :rolleyes: my brother is famous for saying my bullies are so ugly they have a face only a mother could love :angry: ..probably why I only talk to him 3 times a year.... People often speak without thinking. I chalk it up to poor upbringing and walk away.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I feel your pain, I too get rude comments, of course "A face only a mother can love, about a thousand times" Never had a boxer comment but several Is that a Pit-Bull??

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep there are so may people who are just rude out there. I dont get many of the boxer thing but that is probably cuz Cutty is the stocky type. Tons of people just dont know what he is. I get tired of that comment "wow, he is fat." :crazy: No he isnt fat, he is almost perfect in weight. ugh...

@mike bayblock have you noticed how many more wrinkles they develop as they get older? Cutty is 5 1/2 and I actually just noticed a new, deep one that I swear was maybe a crease before. When he was young he had a couple but boy now they just keep getting deeper and more of them. lol. Guess its like us, wrinkling as we age. ;)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
OMG!!!! It makes me soooo mad!!!:angry:How many times Ive had people tell me ,what an ugly dog-Unfreakingbelivable! before I would not know what to responed, but know I am just as rude , if someone makes a comment like that about Mocha I just snapp back, how would you like it If I said your child was ugly?? It is rude and hurtfull. i even had an argument with family memebers(including my own Mother) over this on facebook. Now that Ive made it clear to them I havent had a problem. I went to Petco after work yesterday with Mocha and a lady came over and said -your dog is fat- In said -Oh you think so, yours looks a little scrawney:up:

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
my mom (we aren't the closest but see each other often) calls Bullet "homely". :down: i've told her how rude she is when she says that. personally, i could care less what people think as i think he his beautiful. :luv: oh, but she does talk and pet him when she comes over so i know she likes him. thankfully Bullet doesn't talk and tell her how he thinks she looks. :whistle:

H

heff101

When people say that to me you know how I respond?
I say you know what when I saw Heff his look totally reminded me of you that I just needed to get him.
That shuts em up in a hurry and generally gets others laughing at them.
Works every time.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
You just have to chalk it up to ignorance and rudeness. Our Bulldogs were always in our antique shop with us so in addition to getting a lot of attention and pets they also got a lot of rude comments! I'd cover their ears so they wouldn't hear and that would usually stop the rude person making the comments!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Sounds like your pup is still growing...and bulldogs go through some strange growing stages...but I think the coloring more than anything is where they get boxer. Not really that he looks like a boxer but his coloring makes them think of one.

My triple registered Australian Shepherd people think is part dalmation, husky [due to the blue eye] Or...poor thing was it born that way...Blind that is with the blue eye. Um-mm it's BLUE not blind. Sometimes it's not worth educating when they refuse to believe what you tell them. Depends on my mood.

As for my bulldogs...I've had them ask me if they were pitbulls....People are not educated in dog breeds...so they give uneducated guesses. Sometimes I don't think it's meant to offend us. But to tell you your dog is ugly...well...My comment would be..."Well it's a good thing dogs can be so ugly their cute...for it's just PLAIN ugly when it comes to humans...nothing cute about it" And look them up and down...and say...Yup...nothing one can do about it. And turn and walk away...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.