MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Happy Friday All!!:nightfever::nightfever:

So after speaking with Ellie's vet last night, he did of course advise of the Devil brands, but also offered us to a wet food situation, as he said dogs that have a wet diet are less likely to have UTI's, and all the wonderful advice from all caring awesome members here, we have decided to change Ellie's food, Probiotics, and Antibacterial Wipes.

Food - we are going to try the Honest Kitchen, though I am torn between the Marvel (Turkey and Parsnip) or the Kindly (Add my own protien) - choose these are they are Grain and Potato Free, Ellie had been Grain and Potato Free since she joined us. I do have some questions, right now would be how to transition from her kibble to the HK?? Should I get some Samples first or just dive right in [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

Probiotics/Wipes - Going to Order the Herbasmith, Pet MD Chlorhexidine Wipes with Ketoconazole and Aloe to keep her tiny hiney clean after she potties.

This mommy's GOT THIS!!:up:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sounds like an awesome plan!!! THK is very different from kibble, its best to prep meals prior to feeding. Example: When feeding Tyson breakfast, I fix his "dinner" portion, and put it in the fridge. Then when dinner comes, I fix his "breakfast" portion & so on.... it helps with the consistency of the food, and makes it so much faster than having to wait for the food to absorb the water.

As far as transition goes, you don't need too long of one, because THK is mostly veggies/fruits. I would maybe do a couple of days, start mixing in some THK with her kibble day by day, and slowly wean out the kibble. We've never done any other flavors, only the Preference & Kindly. This is of course because of all of Tyson's allergies, and flare ups. He's done amazingly on the Kindly.... and we've stuck with that. I cook his meat once a week, and store it in a glass pyrex. We flip flop between extra lean ground beef, ground turkey, and on occasion ground kangaroo. I buy and cook 3lbs at a time... and that lasts him an entire week :) Also don't be alarmed if her water intake goes down a bit, since THK has water in it. Its a little messier than kibble too (I always have to wipe Mr. Tyson's face after each meal)

Requires a bit more work, but if you "prep" then all should be smooth... plus we all go above & beyond for these guys! I know she will do great!!! Let me know if you have any other questions along the way :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
If you did decide to dive right in to the new food regimen, the only thing you might experience would be loose stool for a few days. We switch our incoming dogs to what we feed immediately...but they are usually eating crap food.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15424]MFrey2012[/MENTION] YOU GOT THIS GIRL for sure!!! You are a shining example of a wonderful bully mamma, Ms. Ellie is grateful I'm sure. I just know that your girl is going to round the corner with these issues.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Even easier w the kindly or the marvel is.... get yourself a quart mason jar, draw the line for how much you need, (measure the first time ) measure your water (just the first time) and add to your food stur up and then draw the line on the jar as to where it should be once stured, put the top on and serve up half in the morn and other in the eve,, wash out and and now you have your fill lines and so just fill to lines next eve :) easy pie. I have used both that you may use and mostly do kindly,cooking weeks worth putting in one cup containers and freeze some.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Possesses,,great mama,,,, hope it all goes good for ya

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Way to go Ellie! Sounds like your mum has everything under control!!

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Jess - All Ordered went with the Marvel (Turkey and Parsnip), just ordered the 4lb box to see how she does with it, STINKS we JUST bought a new BIG bag of the Orijen just a week ago, Do you think SMALL portions would hurt, Like if I just used a treat in her Kong Bone, I usually stuff in the ends of her Puppy Kong, might be 10-15pcs max, I would just hate for all this food to go to waste...
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - Chip, How is the new pup doing?!?!
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] - Sue, thank you!! some days I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall, and that this house training will never be complete.
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] - Jill, Awesome idea, I am the Mason Jar queen!!
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] - Pam, Thank you, some days I feel like its all falling apart, but the snuggles make it all worth it

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Straight to THK "Turkey and Parsnip" worked fine for Chunky after his bowel surgery but he was still trying to adjust to the crap food they had fed him for two days.

He is back to eating Acana now but I fed him 3 boxes which was about 2 months worth for him at his weight.

I just seen the other thread and hate she is having issues again

I just read the post above and THK is like oatmeal and you have to mix the suggested amount in a cup of hot water and let it set for 3 minutes, stir then feed. Jessica premakes it then heats it up at meal time. I made it at feeding time and used less water than recommended so it would be thicker

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I sure hope all this helps miss Ellie!! We switched Pippen to THK a few months ago. We did the turkey one with grain (forget what its called) since it had lower protein and that's what they recommended for kidney/urinary issues. We just gradually switched her over a week or 2, mixing it with her kibble. She loved it but it was just such a pain in the butt to deal with and a huge mess after she was done eating lol. My husband is a neat freak and whined the whole time about the mess and how much time it took to make and blah blah blah lol so we switched back to kibble now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I do like Jess but my prep is for the whole "next" day and its much thicker too. Example....every supper time I prep Nyala's 2 meals for next day. Ellie is a bit smaller than Nyala. I use the PHK as she has no allergies to anything. She better stay like so lol. I take one cup of the mix, add one cup of protein and 12oz of boiling water. Stir, let it sit there for 15mins with its cover and goes in the fridge for next day. Just have to divide it. Make sure Ellie chewsnon raw bones, antlers or hard toys as eating just soft meals wont help their teeth later on. Keep giving her fruits like you do. You can always donate your orijen to your spca. They sure can use it. Also yes, true, they dont drink much water as it's already moist. I do lime Jess beef and turkey but I buy a whole turkey because I want the broth for Nyala n if I feel like a soup for me I steal bag of her broth. :2thumbs:

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I sure hope all this helps miss Ellie!! We switched Pippen to THK a few months ago. We did the turkey one with grain (forget what its called) since it had lower protein and that's what they recommended for kidney/urinary issues. We just gradually switched her over a week or 2, mixing it with her kibble. She loved it but it was just such a pain in the butt to deal with and a huge mess after she was done eating lol. My husband is a neat freak and whined the whole time about the mess and how much time it took to make and blah blah blah lol so we switched back to kibble now!

Me too!! :) Pray for us!!:pray: I am ready to start giving this girl some freedom from her crate.

So not worried about the mess, Ellie has a big mat under her bowl on the top of her stool, or the prep, I am in the kitchen a lot doing my own lunch prep and such. This is actually probably a better for her other problem that she has, Ellie has a diverticula pocket on her esophagus, and has to eat off of a step stool to keep her at 45°, so her kibble does not get stuck, Her Internal Vet said it is small and should not be a problem, and I did some research on my own, read the same, and that soft diets are better for this condition, which the Vet didn't mention.

Chewy just sent me a notification that it shipped and will be delivered tomorrow!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... great plan! Ellie hit the Momma jackpot and well be in great shape real soon!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Chip, How is the new pup doing?!?!

She's doing great...although some of the guys don't think so. Lala plays with her a little bit. Biggie plays with her a lot. She's really tough and is chewing anything she can get her little needles into. She gets her nails done on Sunday and will get her first bath. Here she is after learning to slide. She has no fear. Biggie tought her, BTW. We had nothing to do with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's doing great...although some of the guys don't think so. Lala plays with her a little bit. Biggie plays with her a lot. She's really tough and is chewing anything she can get her little needles into. She gets her nails done on Sunday and will get her first bath. Here she is after learning to slide. She has no fear. Biggie tought her, BTW. We had nothing to do with it.

OMG!! She did not even hesitate going dine the 'slide'

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online