MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Oh jeez Melissa.......Ugggg so sorry for you and Ms. Ellie!!!!! You know I'm new at this too, I sure hope some of the more experienced members can offer suggestions. Would her UTI's be considered chronic now, even at her young age??
Not sure but I think they can be Cronic, definately something to ask tonight

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey Melissa, would you be opposed to changing her probitoic? I remember looking at Fortiflora, and I didn't like something that was in, I can't remember for sure... If I could I'd look it up now, but I think it was animal digest & salt?? Maybe? Possibly?

If you are not opposed try the Herbasmith - it was billions and billions of probiotics in it, had prebiotics and digestive enzymes. Here is the link in case you'd like to read up on it:

https://www.amazon.com/Herbsmith-Microflora-Capsule-Digestion-Capsules/dp/B009EUZ9LW

I'd say if everything else health wise checks out, sadly it may be time for a diet change. I know you feed high quality kibble and that's wonderful, but perhaps something in it is causing this. I don't think its something that should be chronic.

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Following along.... Similar problems with Pebbles, minus the UTI.. Does great for 4-5 days then pees in the house 4 times in one day.

Buying paper towels in bulk

I feel your pain.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hey Melissa, would you be opposed to changing her probitoic? I remember looking at Fortiflora, and I didn't like something that was in, I can't remember for sure... If I could I'd look it up now, but I think it was animal digest & salt?? Maybe? Possibly?

If you are not opposed try the Herbasmith - it was billions and billions of probiotics in it, had prebiotics and digestive enzymes. Here is the link in case you'd like to read up on it:

https://www.amazon.com/Herbsmith-Microflora-Capsule-Digestion-Capsules/dp/B009EUZ9LW

I'd say if everything else health wise checks out, sadly it may be time for a diet change. I know you feed high quality kibble and that's wonderful, but perhaps something in it is causing this. I don't think its something that should be chronic.

Hi Jess and Tyson!!

No I am not opposed to changing her probiotics, I will look into it, Fortiflora was just what the Vet gave me when Ellie had diarrhea, and I have stuck with it ever since, I have NO idea what to look for in a Probiotic

Yes I have been super resistant to changing her food, for the main reasons as she no allergies, or aversions, and again I am clueless where to start to find her a new food to meet her needs to keep her from getting infections, outside of Vet Suggestions, and there is NO way I'm feeding Prescription food.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Following along.... Similar problems with Pebbles, minus the UTI.. Does great for 4-5 days then pees in the house 4 times in one day.

Buying paper towels in bulk

I feel your pain.

Hi Andy, How is old is Pebbles??

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I was just thinking your dogs urine pH should be between 6 to 6.5 optimally, but no more than 7. Do you ever test it? Orijen original is the most allergenic of all the Orijens, containing chicken, so you should be ok to switch off of it. I'm not sure what your budget is, but switching to a raw or dehydrated or freeze dried raw is quite a bit more expensive,but maybe will save you vet bills in the long run. Honest Kitchen has a lot more carbohydrates than Vital Essentials, so it's not as good for a dog with struvite crystals you want to maintain with an acidic urine. Check out the 5 star raw foods here:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/raw/5-star/

Fortiflora has only one strain of bacteria, enterococcus faecium, which is extremely stable in stomach acid and will reach the colon intact. I like the other probiotics better however since they contain multiple strains. Also, enterococcus faecium can be pathogenic to humans so wash your hands after handling it.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I was just thinking your dogs urine pH should be between 6 to 6.5 optimally, but no more than 7. Do you ever test it? Orijen original is the most allergenic of all the Orijens, containing chicken, so you should be ok to switch off of it. I'm not sure what your budget is, but switching to a raw or dehydrated or freeze dried raw is quite a bit more expensive,but maybe will save you vet bills in the long run. Honest Kitchen has a lot more carbohydrates than Vital Essentials, so it's not as good for a dog with struvite crystals you want to maintain with an acidic urine. Check out the 5 star raw foods here:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/raw/5-star/

Fortiflora has only one strain of bacteria, enterococcus faecium, which is extremely stable in stomach acid and will reach the colon intact. I like the other probiotics better however since they contain multiple strains. Also, enterococcus faecium can be pathogenic to humans so wash your hands after handling it.

I normally do keep a close eye on it, and do have a testing strips. I have been a little lax, since she was put on an acidifier (Petameth) and she had been doing well on it

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If your dog is already on the methionine (Petameth) which acidifies the urine then there's no need to go to a high protein diet like I suggested before to acidify the urine, as a matter of fact the urine might get too acidic. So Honest Kitchen would be a good choice since it's higher in carbohydrates and lower in protein than Vital Essentials, unless you want to try to wean your dog off the Petameth.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's not recommended to go continuously on probiotics, I would use a good one for two weeks, stop for a week, then start again. I think a doggie probiotic is better than a human one, examples: the Herbsmith Microflora Plus, Proviable DC, Vetriscience Mega Probiotic

Hi Jess and Tyson!!

No I am not opposed to changing her probiotics, I will look into it, Fortiflora was just what the Vet gave me when Ellie had diarrhea, and I have stuck with it ever since, I have NO idea what to look for in a Probiotic

Yes I have been super resistant to changing her food, for the main reasons as she no allergies, or aversions, and again I am clueless where to start to find her a new food to meet her needs to keep her from getting infections, outside of Vet Suggestions, and there is NO way I'm feeding Prescription food.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
probiotics should not be given continuously?? ooops
I know it says that. I have been giving probiotics everyday for over 2 yrs. and honestly we've had no issues. I don't see why it would be bad. I take probiotics myself everyday as well. And one time I ran out of his probiotics and didn't get around to ordering more... he went about 3-5 days without them and I noticed a huge difference.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
It definitely cuts down on their gas.

OMG!! yes, I hear Ellie pass "wind" but never any stink...

Pebbles is still quite young, its has been said it takes a 3 whole months with no accidents, so hang in there, you got this, it took us quite a while for Ellie to "GET" the concept of ringing her bells to go potty, and now she is Champ!! :)

I also made a chart to track her "accidents" so I didn't feel as frustrated, so I could see her "progress" and it was helpful at the Vet's too when asking for help.

Ellie is still in Potty Boot camp, just her size crate, no bedding while mommy is at work, and only access to certain parts of the house.

Hoping once THIS UTI passes and we get her on a new routine, we will be in the home stretch.

Ms Ellie is 1.5 years old, so I REALLY feel your pain

Refresh my memory, has Pebbles been checked for a UTI??

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
OMG!! yes, I hear Ellie pass "wind" but never any stink...

Pebbles is still quite young, its has been said it takes a 3 whole months with no accidents, so hang in there, you got this, it took us quite a while for Ellie to "GET" the concept of ringing her bells to go potty, and now she is Champ!! :)

I also made a chart to track her "accidents" so I didn't feel as frustrated, so I could see her "progress" and it was helpful at the Vet's too when asking for help.

Ellie is still in Potty Boot camp, just her size crate, no bedding while mommy is at work, and only access to certain parts of the house.

Hoping once THIS UTI passes and we get her on a new routine, we will be in the home stretch.

Ms Ellie is 1.5 years old, so I REALLY feel your pain

Refresh my memory, has Pebbles been checked for a UTI??

Doc could not get a urine sample last time & with all the accidents, she put her on a round of antibiotics just in case. It did not help.

We have a dog door so she goes out at will. She loves to lay on our patio & a little bridge.

Never a poop accident.

1.5 yrs old.... Ouch You must own stock in Brawney paper towels by now...

Members online

No members online now.