Is Joey Growing Up or Something Else?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Question for your all......Joey's eating habits seem to be changing. At first I thought it was just that she was off of her schedule a few days last week, but it's continuing.

She is fed in the morning and evening. She has skipped the evening meal for a few days now. I put her food down and she wants nothing to do with it, my rule is if it's not eaten it gets thrown away in 15 minutes or so.

So, question is, will her eating habits change with age? Should I go to feeding once a day? She will be 2 y/o in one month. Thanks in advance!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Question for your all......Joey's eating habits seem to be changing. At first I thought it was just that she was off of her schedule a few days last week, but it's continuing.

She is fed in the morning and evening. She has skipped the evening meal for a few days now. I put her food down and she wants nothing to do with it, my rule is if it's not eaten it gets thrown away in 15 minutes or so.

So, question is, will her eating habits change with age? Should I go to feeding once a day? She will be 2 y/o in one month. Thanks in advance!!

Willow normally refuses breakfast, she will take a few quick bites and walk away. Of course Wally has NO problem trying to inhale her breakfast so I can't leave food out either. As long as Joey is acting normal I wouldn't be too concerned... with the weather getting warmer, I think that some dogs just don't want to eat as much. Maybe cut her amount to half at dinner and just see if she eats that...

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I always feed twice a day to me it keeps there energy levels in tune . if she was used to feeding twice a day that might have thrown her off , any chance she is eating something in the backyard say or gotten a half chewed toy in her ?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Thanks Tracey! Good to know about about Willow's habits. I will try reducing amount at dinner. I'm so used to her schedule, eating dinner, out for little walk and potty about an hour after, I don't want her going to bed hungry HAHAHAHAHA.....I know....crazy right? :)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene Thanks Tracey! Good to know about about Willow's habits. I will try reducing amount at dinner. I'm so used to her schedule, eating dinner, out for little walk and potty about an hour after, I don't want her going to bed hungry HAHAHAHAHA.....I know....crazy right? :)

Willow started doing this when she was staying at our pet sitters, and usually in the summer she cuts back on her morning meal. Personally I think she's just not a morning dog... Lol I always make sure to give her a snack a couple of hours before bedtime, usually fruit.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I always feed twice a day to me it keeps there energy levels in tune . if she was used to feeding twice a day that might have thrown her off , any chance she is eating something in the backyard say or gotten a half chewed toy in her ?

Thanks Nat! I thought the SAME thing about the toy BUT she is never allowed a toy, antler, nothing unless she is with me. She does not free roam outside, I always take her out on leash so nothing eaten outside.

I ruled out the eaten toy thing only because she is eating a good breakfast and going to the bathroom just fine, although I thought she might be constipated a few days ago but not now. No vomiting, etc., am I correct to rule this out??

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Willow started doing this when she was staying at our pet sitters, and usually in the summer she cuts back on her morning meal. Personally I think she's just not a morning dog... Lol I always make sure to give her a snack a couple of hours before bedtime, usually fruit.

I'm going to begin less food this evening (she would always eat dinner at 5pm), I'm tired of wasting the food (not cheap hahaha) after this evening if she's still not eating I will not even bother and try some little treats :)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to begin less food this evening (she would always eat dinner at 5pm), I'm tired of wasting the food (not cheap hahaha) after this evening if she's still not eating I will not even bother and try some little treats :)

I agree... it's may just be a faze, and like I said Willow does this in the hotter months. She so tiny I figure she's just not as hungry as my Wally boy... Lol

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I agree... it's may just be a faze, and like I said Willow does this in the hotter months. She so tiny I figure she's just not as hungry as my Wally boy... Lol

Never considered the temp change....again great insight! Thanks Tracey!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau sometimes does this in the morning... he just wants to go back to bed. I like the idea of cutting back a bit -- as long as her behavior is normal it mist likely has something to do with change of weather. I blame weather for everything [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Lambeau sometimes does this in the morning... he just wants to go back to bed. I like the idea of cutting back a bit -- as long as her behavior is normal it mist likely has something to do with change of weather. I blame weather for everything [emoji2]

Hi Christine!! Thanks! Yes, everything else about her seems normal. I like blaming the weather too....I'm in! Can I blame the weather when my summer clothes are a little snug? HAHAHAHA!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi Christine!! Thanks! Yes, everything else about her seems normal. I like blaming the weather too....I'm in! Can I blame the weather when my summer clothes are a little snug? HAHAHAHA!!!

You guys crack me up LOL I love this place

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sisters3;698479Can I blame the weather when my summer clothes are a little snug? HAHAHAHA!!![/QUOTE said:
Sure can... seriously, it works for anything going wrong . Clothes are snug.. it is because it is too hot snd muggy-- they stick to you

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Sure can... seriously, it works for anything going wrong . Clothes are snug.. it is because it is too hot snd muggy-- they stick to you

BRILLIANT !!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.