Ear infection?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I noticed tonight that Lockjaws ears are pretty warm. They've been waxier than normal lately as well. His nose feels fine and his ears don't stink. I have cleaned his ears a few times this week- but only really noticed the "warmth" of them tonight. We've went to the lake a few times, but he hasn't really gone under water and I've made sure to clean his ears when we get back really well also. He's otherwise acting normal- normal eating, drinking, energy, and #2's.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I noticed tonight that Lockjaws ears are pretty warm. They've been waxier than normal lately as well. His nose feels fine and his ears don't stink. I have cleaned his ears a few times this week- but only really noticed the "warmth" of them tonight. We've went to the lake a few times, but he hasn't really gone under water and I've made sure to clean his ears when we get back really well also. He's otherwise acting normal- normal eating, drinking, energy, and #2's.
Any suggestions? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall Nyala had the same thing way back but was her ears n top of her head. Like really hot. Next day was back to normal. About 3 days ago, she was chewing on her antler and one side of her top head was really hot to the touch. Disappeared few hours later. Nothing is wrong with her either. Odd!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
keep cleaning them when needed. If they start looking worse than they are now see your Vet. Good that you are aware of a potential problem before it escalates.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try cleaning them by spraying in a 50:50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel and wiping it clean with a cosmetic pad. That should clear up a mild infection and clean it at same time. Or if you ever really think they are infected, flood the ear with Zymox ear drops and massage in without cleaning, or flood the ear with the apple cider vinegar/witch hazel mixture and massage in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Apple Cider vinegar and witch hazel isa great cleaner... has kept Lambeau ears in great shape.

Keep us posted

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I gave him a 50/50 squirt this morning. When I got home I checked them again- still a little warm, but no wax or build up in his ears. I don't have a booty thermometer fornthem, so used our ear thermometer (don't laugh-lol). He actually let me get it to the canal- and it was 99.9 on both sides. Now, I'm not sure how accurate that it, BUT- it made me feel a little better. Still otherwise he's fine.
How often should I do the 50/50 mix?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I gave him a 50/50 squirt this morning. When I got home I checked them again- still a little warm, but no wax or build up in his ears. I don't have a booty thermometer fornthem, so used our ear thermometer (don't laugh-lol). He actually let me get it to the canal- and it was 99.9 on both sides. Now, I'm not sure how accurate that it, BUT- it made me feel a little better. Still otherwise he's fine.
How often should I do the 50/50 mix?

During allergy season, i check daily and clean as needed, but i do it weekly regardless

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
During allergy season, i check daily and clean as needed, but i do it weekly regardless

Yea- I normally do nails/ears weekly as well. So as long as they aren't getting smelly, just keep an eye out and he should be ok? And staying on top of "as needed" cleanings?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yea- I normally do nails/ears weekly as well. So as long as they aren't getting smelly, just keep an eye out and he should be ok? And staying on top of "as needed" cleanings?

Correct!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd do it weekly and anytime you see him scratching at his ears because they are itchy.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Ears are still looking good and not as warm as the other day!

Thanks guys!!!

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Can you use witch hazel on their private parts? Dont mean to sidetrack your thread just didn't think it was worth starting a new one for this.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Can you use witch hazel on their private parts? Dont mean to sidetrack your thread just didn't think it was worth starting a new one for this.

I haven't used it directly on it- but on their bellys and such. But what I found REALLY worked was using a Norwex cloth. Penny had some type of rash on her belly and after trying tons of different things, I just stared wiping her down twice a day with that and it cleared it up in a few days.
99bace8f31dc842f23297def7a55c19d.jpg

78e42c72c59796ae6ab3339d264ff5f0.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I haven't used it directly on it- but on their bellys and such. But what I found REALLY worked was using a Norwex cloth. Penny had some type of rash on her belly and after trying tons of different things, I just stared wiping her down twice a day with that and it cleared it up in a few days.

Wow - seems efficient! So is this a microfiber cloth or is it some kind of terry cloth? And you use it with witch hazel (diluted ?) Castor has had something looking a bit like that on his belly and I put on some diaper rash and it didn't get any worse but hasn't quite disappeared.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Wow - seems efficient! So is this a microfiber cloth or is it some kind of terry cloth? And you use it with witch hazel (diluted ?) Castor has had something looking a bit like that on his belly and I put on some diaper rash and it didn't get any worse but hasn't quite disappeared.

It's a microfiber cloth infused with silver. So when used (with only warm/hot water) it kills 99.9% bacteria on contact. This is the body cloth, but they have other cloths for all types of uses. I love Norwex products!!!
I was also using with hazel, diaper cream, gold bond cream, malacetic wipes- nothing helped until I started using the Norwex cloth. I also wipe their faces with it after they eat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.