helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] I have a question regarding PRAA cause im kind of confused. Someone I met while ago, their puppy was also diagnosed like mini with PRAA. Usually from what I understood, the puppies with this condition are often excessively thin, like boney. Their vet said any pup with this diagnosis needs surgery asap when they are still in the puppy stage. Surgery reduces permanent damage to the esophagus due to chronic distension as the owner said to me. Also she said dogs tend to do much better after that surgery. I know even after surgery sometimes pups still have to sit to eat. Im NOT a vet either. Im just telling you what the owner of that pup that had PRAA said. Why im curious why your vet said mini might not make it. She looks nice n chunky too. And I am NOT disputing your opinion either. Just what I understood of PRAA.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
according to numerous Vets that have seen MINI's Xrays, her original PRAA diagnosis was incorrect and she only suffers from Mega Esophagus. So she sits in the chair to eat and we limit her water intake because she pukes it up. Mega E dogs are candidates for pneumonia due to aspiration. hoping that we can manage her food and water intake well enough to ensure that the asp. does not happen.
She's now getting Knox Blocks twice daily to help with liquid intake. Shes gained 1.8 lbs since we've had her...as of this AM.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
according to numerous Vets that have seen MINI's Xrays, her original PRAA diagnosis was incorrect and she only suffers from Mega Esophagus. So she sits in the chair to eat and we limit her water intake because she pukes it up. Mega E dogs are candidates for pneumonia due to aspiration. hoping that we can manage her food and water intake well enough to ensure that the asp. does not happen.
She's now getting Knox Blocks twice daily to help with liquid intake. Shes gained 1.8 lbs since we've had her...as of this AM.

Ok got it! Clearer now.... You're still da best !

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You're too kind sweet lady!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You are wonderful for giving her a chance in life !!

I sure agree with that statement! Silly question: How do you keep water down for the others-and keep her from drinking? [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So far she just doesn't drink much at all and when she does we pick her up and hold her upright for a few minutes. That pretty much keeps it down. Her food is ground and mixed with Evaporated Milk so she get a fair amount of liquid at mealtimes. We also give her water from a hamster waterer during meals. She'll filollow the big guys around and eat the ice chips that they drop.

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
May God bless you and Mini.
She is in the best of hands.
What a cutie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts