oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I started this story in the Mods forum and after deciding to keep her thought it would be best to share with everyone...

We were contacted by a Vet in NOVA about an 8 wk old puppy, since named MINI. She had been diagnosed with PRAA. At this point it appears that that diagnosis was incorrect and a more correct diagnosis is Mega Esophagus. With Mega E there is literally no hope of placing her so we've decided that her needs would best be served staying right here with us.

I built her a Bailey Chair and after a few minor tweaks it fits her well enough. It's adjustable to a point so I figure it will be at least a month before having to build another.

She's a so-called designer color (Tri)and I suspect that her breeder ultimately created this genetic abnormality seeking a bigger paycheck...but that would be a whole different thread for a different day.
I haven't had the pleasure of raising an 8-week old since 1995 and the rules haven't changed much for a normal bulldog, but MINI isn't quite normal. Keeping her upright for a period of time after meals and drinking water is VERY important. Not allowing her to drink or eat anything while we are not supervising her is equally important.

The sad part about a Mega E dog is they are apt to aspirate at any time, develop pneumonia, and die. We will do our best to ensure that that does not happen but are fully aware of the risks of raising a Mega E pup.

She's mostly bulldog but I think there's some Rotty in recipe...

Everyone has given her a "Puppy pass" and she's uses it often...very often...

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Awww Chip she is wonderful and good on you guys for keeping her , I know she will want for nothing .
Great pics love her chair well done , I can not get over those wonderful eye,s full of love and life she truly is gorgeous Chip

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Glad to hear you are keeping her and will give her the life she deserves. And yes, the breeder "created" her for more money.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my goodness, my heart. She is precious. And that video of her eating!! What a hungry little nugget, the name is perfect, "Mini" - I know she's in the best of hands. Have you scheduled her surgery yet? Or has that changed now since the diagnosis has changed?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What a wonderfully lucky pup to have found you... Your amazing for taking that on and hopefully you will be rewarded with many years and a long life for the kid... She's adorable and your wonderful..

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I started this story in the Mods forum and after deciding to keep her thought it would be best to share with everyone...

We were contacted by a Vet in NOVA about an 8 wk old puppy, since named MINI. She had been diagnosed with PRAA. At this point it appears that that diagnosis was incorrect and a more correct diagnosis is Mega Esophagus. With Mega E there is literally no hope of placing her so we've decided that her needs would best be served staying right here with us.

I built her a Bailey Chair and after a few minor tweaks it fits her well enough. It's adjustable to a point so I figure it will be at least a month before having to build another.

She's a so-called designer color (Tri)and I suspect that her breeder ultimately created this genetic abnormality seeking a bigger paycheck...but that would be a whole different thread for a different day.
I haven't had the pleasure of raising an 8-week old since 1995 and the rules haven't changed much for a normal bulldog, but MINI isn't quite normal. Keeping her upright for a period of time after meals and drinking water is VERY important. Not allowing her to drink or eat anything while we are not supervising her is equally important.

The sad part about a Mega E dog is they are apt to aspirate at any time, develop pneumonia, and die. We will do our best to ensure that that does not happen but are fully aware of the risks of raising a Mega E pup.

She's mostly bulldog but I think there's some Rotty in recipe...

Everyone has given her a "Puppy pass" and she's uses it often...very often...

Ohhhhh...poor Mini and lucky Mini, all at one time. She's beautiful...but...not nearly as beautiful as you are for choosing to care for her and to love her. I will keep her and you in my thoughts. Thank you for what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - Chip, OMG!! Mini is the LUCKIEST puppy on the planet, She HAS the BEST parents!! Looking forward watching her journey.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my goodness, my heart. She is precious. And that video of her eating!! What a hungry little nugget, the name is perfect, "Mini" - I know she's in the best of hands. Have you scheduled her surgery yet? Or has that changed now since the diagnosis has changed?
thats changed now. 4 Vets all agree that they cannot see a stricture within the esophagus. We thought about an indoscopy but those that we rely on say it's wasted money and needless risk with gen'l anesthesia. Im inclined to agree.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Chip,
Mini is adorable... and what a lucky little girl to find a home w/you and your family. That last video was absolutely precious... let the shenanigans begin!!! Lol

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Awww. How cute. What is the prognosis or chance it can be corrected later in life?

What is the purpose of the chair? To keep upright angle?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Beautiful baby is going to have a beautiful life [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww. How cute. What is the prognosis or chance it can be corrected later in life?

What is the purpose of the chair? To keep upright angle?
Mega E cannot be corrected. It must be managed. Yes, the purpose of the chair is to keep her upright so gravity will help get the food to the stomach and also keep her confined and calm while that process happens...about 20 minutes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.