Alrighty Then...

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I need to discuss something with people in the know. It is a multifaceted ponder. I think a lot, partly because I am by inclination and training an educator with an EdD. I watch a lot. I sort and sift and ponder.
This morning' sorting, sifting and pondering reflects upon Daphne's brain compared to my brain. Beginning questions...
Is Daphne's physical brain structurally comparable to my brain? E.g. Same parts, dura, brain stem, same lives with same functions? Well, except for speech of course.
Does a dog brain look the same as ours?
Does a dog brain take up the same amount of space proportionally in skull as a human brain does?

Piaget' theory of conservation states that in children "Conservation refers to a logical thinking ability which, according to the psychologist Jean Piaget, is not present in children during the preoperational stage of their development at ages 2–7, but develops in the concrete operational stage at ages 7–11.[1][2] Conservation refers to the ability to determine that a certain quantity will remain the same despite adjustment of the container, shape, or apparent size."
Daphne has no concept that she is three or four times bigger than any of the other three dogs and could rip them to threads with her massive jaw. She is thoroughly intimidated by them and they boss her around and threaten her. I do get that the theory of conservation is about measurement i.e a nickel isn't worth more than a dime just because it's bigger.

I guess my 64K question is, what specifically /structurally in her canine brain prevents Daphne from moving from pre-operational thinking to operational thinking? Is being afraid/intimidated by the little dogs like brain washing from an early age or what?

I have Mah Jongg this morning, so I'll leave you people alone for a while, but I really do want to understand these things. All input appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Let's do a disection and find out. Stop pondering...your bully is smarter than you think. And by the way doc...when I am not in my right mind my left side is pretty full.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
The answer to all of the above in relation to exactly how the Bulldog's mind reacts to specific stimuli is FOOD.
That, and she doesn't know that she's 3-4 times bigger except when it's time to eat FOOD.

So, there you have it...
FOOD for thought

What was the question again?

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Let's do a disection and find out. Stop pondering...your bully is smarter than you think. And by the way doc...when I am not in my right mind my left side is pretty full.

Lol. I'm totally a lefty. Nothing creative about me.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
The answer to all of the above in relation to exactly how the Bulldog's mind reacts to specific stimuli is FOOD.
That, and she doesn't know that she's 3-4 times bigger except when it's time to eat FOOD.

So, there you have it...
FOOD for thought

What was the question again?

The question was, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

Ohhhh and I know Daphne is very smart. I'm just wondering how her brain works.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg im loving the answers so far :) mine is boring but......... my thoughts of this sort of follow along the lines of Horse training. If your lucky enough to work with them when they're small, babies, that is what sets in their sweet minds. Your bigger than them and the rest is easy.. No power struggles when they outgrow you.. (I had read this and for 'me' proved to be true) And, I think that our kidos are more primal than us still. They live off instinct in these matters that you speak of, more than brain power....... Thing is with all that, i 'watch' these guys think things outAND play us! .. And look at those aussies work the cattle. anyway, i think dogs use all facets of their being, and some are dominant in different areas.... so there ya go! answer to nothing ;)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Ohhhh and I know Daphne is very smart. I'm just wondering how her brain works.

My Jewel is a smart girl because she has a Type B personality unless she is kept out of playing. Bentley on the other hand essentially follows his hooter. Have Hooter...Will Travel. He even had his own show ans was even interviewed by Howard Stern.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Jewel is a smart girl because she has a Type B personality unless she is kept out of playing. Bentley on the other hand essentially follows his hooter. Have Hooter...Will Travel. He even had his own show ans was even interviewed by Howard Stern.

:bang::bang::bang::facepalm2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I watched a documentary/tvshow on this over the weekend. A young doctor used simple tests to determine the dogs ability to 'think' and decide rather than use their instincts.

I'll try to find the name of it--- it was really cool

Members online

No members online now.