Dog food testing positive for Pentobarbital

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good Lord... my problem is that SO many foods will have that organic seal on it, and people just automatically think it's better for you (or your dog). I swear if you don't make it yourself, you just don't really now what is in food these days.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Sensationalized reporting?
Report reads:
Customer Test Request Pentobarbital

My guess is that the customer was focused on testing for the drug because they were suspicious that the food came from animals that were euthanized using pentobarbital and the drug is able to survive the food rendering process. Evidently this is not so uncommon. Organic?...hmmm...maybe not. Maybe oganic means the animals must be euthanized by alternative means. A hammer? An Ax?
I don't want to know.

from the FDA...

"The low levels of exposure to sodium pentobarbital (pentobarbital) that dogs might receive through food is unlikely to cause them any adverse health effects, Food and Drug Administration scientists concluded after conducting a risk assessment..."

https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/centersoffices/officeoffoods/cvm/cvmfoiaelectronicreadingroom/ucm129131.htm

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Report reads:

My guess is that the customer was focused on testing for the drug because they were suspicious that the food came from animals that were euthanized using pentobarbital and the drug is able to survive the food rendering process. Evidently this is not so uncommon. Organic?...hmmm...maybe not. Maybe oganic means the animals must be euthanized by alternative means. A hammer? An Ax?
I don't want to know.

from the FDA...

"The low levels of exposure to sodium pentobarbital (pentobarbital) that dogs might receive through food is unlikely to cause them any adverse health effects, Food and Drug Administration scientists concluded after conducting a risk assessment..."

https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/centersoffices/officeoffoods/cvm/cvmfoiaelectronicreadingroom/ucm129131.htm

Interesting info... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Report reads:

I don't want to know.

from the FDA...

It does say her dog was ill and I guess she was suspicious enough of the food that she decided to have it tested. She sent it to Texas A & M which is one of the top Veterinary schools and it happened this month. I just skimmed through the article from the FDA but saw it was dated 2002. Not doubting that report at all but it is dated. All that aside, it does make you think about what goes into EVERYTHING we and our dogs eat!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It does say her dog was ill and I guess she was suspicious enough of the food...
My first thought was, why was the focus on "pentobarbital" and not a plethora of other things that might cause similar issues...whatever those issues might be? And, was it ever determined that the ingestion of pentobarbital was the cause of the illness? There was no mention of how much pento was found. There was no mention of what kind of symptoms the patient was having. It all seems rather ambiguous to me.

All that aside, it does make you think about what goes into EVERYTHING we and our dogs eat!
Yes, it certainly does.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
OP
1Chumly