WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Hey everyone!

Walter (16 months) has a sore behind his ear. He is always itching it and it is to the point it is bleeding. There is also a spot inside his ear so i wonder if because he is itchy inside, it is causing him to irritate his skin outside?

Recent change to food... he was on natural balance sweet potato and fish and doing pretty well. But got bored and didnt eat it as much and this ear issue was also appearing so we decided to try a new food. Took a week to change to Taste of the Wild but the ear thing got worse. Im not sure if it was because of itching, the new food or what. But we also always give coconut oil in the food, and maybe 1 bath every 3 weeks with maleseb and i just tried adding in apple cider vibegar to the routine because he does tend to develop yeast between the paws.

Any insight would be great. He's only been on the food like a week. Should he finish out the bag? IMG_8276.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does look like it could be yeast... is the food potato and grain free?

What protein is in the food?

Mix apple cider vinegar with witch hazel in a spray bottle... spray yeasty areas and it will help control it, but you need to find what is causing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Sweet potato especially bad for yeasty breakout. Any high carb diet will feed the yeast. My one experience with TOTW was a BAD one. There are much better choices available.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I agree about the sweet potato and yeast issue. Try to avoid anything that has root vegetables., i.e. Beets, carrots, potatoes, etc. Root vegetables are high in sugar and feed the yeast.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Great advice above. Avoid potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.