Dangers of rope toys

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
This was posted on my FB page today. So very sad and a warning to us all.

"We lost our beautiful Titan today. My heart is broken in a million pieces. He was only 10 months old. I dropped him off at the vet yesterday because He was acting sick and wasn't eating. They kept him over night to hydrate him. This morning, after doung an xray and seeing objects in stomach and small intestine, they decided to do surgery ( after my approval). Apparently he chewed on and swallowed something ( appears to be a string of some kind) that destroyed his small intestine. There was nothing they could do for him. He was an amazing dog and he was also my son's therapy dog for autism. Only reason i am posting is to bring awareness because i never thought a piece a string could take our babies life".

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Wow... I'm always terrified of what my little pup is getting in his mouth. Even more so now.. so sad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I saw a similar case to this awhile back where 2 Frenchies had died for the same thing. After reading that, I immediately got rid of any and all rope toys I had.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It's more common than we know... and the stores STILL continue to sell them and rawhides. So dangerous...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Before we were wed Sandy rescued Zoey. She was abandoned to a Vet clinic lethargic and puking and had diarrhea. Sandy had the Vet do X-rays, they showed nothing. She had the Vet do a barium study. Results were unremarkable. Zoey was given fluids and sent home with Sandy to see if she how she fared through the weekend.

Saturday morning as the dogs were outside for potty time Sandy saw Zoey assuming the position(over and over) but obviously having trouble passing stool. Upon closer inspection she saw something protruding from her bum. It was a piece of rope. Sandy grabbed her car keys(in case things went south) and a rag and grabbed Zoey and ever so slowly began pulling that rope out. Not sure how long it took but the rope was about 18" long and it finally came out. She went from near death to complete recovery in a matter of days. I adopted Zoey 3 months later and married Sandy 9 months after that. Whoohoo!

Any kind of toy that can come apart is dangerous if the dog is left unsupervised. We caught Biggie just last night chewing on something. He had a mouthful of bed stuffing just chewing away. That's 2 beds in 2 weeks he's destroyed...little fart. Can't be too cautious.

Zoey still kicking...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs had a Jolly ball, with a large rope through it. They always played tug with it. When I saw the small threads starting to come off, I sawed that rope and tossed it away. They have never played with the ball again,but that beats surgery,or death! [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Such a romantic way to meet your love!! :heart:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for highlighting the danger of rope toys.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Before we were wed Sandy rescued Zoey. She was abandoned to a Vet clinic lethargic and puking and had diarrhea. Sandy had the Vet do X-rays, they showed nothing. She had the Vet do a barium study. Results were unremarkable. Zoey was given fluids and sent home with Sandy to see if she how she fared through the weekend.

Saturday morning as the dogs were outside for potty time Sandy saw Zoey assuming the position(over and over) but obviously having trouble passing stool. Upon closer inspection she saw something protruding from her bum. It was a piece of rope. Sandy grabbed her car keys(in case things went south) and a rag and grabbed Zoey and ever so slowly began pulling that rope out. Not sure how long it took but the rope was about 18" long and it finally came out. She went from near death to complete recovery in a matter of days. I adopted Zoey 3 months later and married Sandy 9 months after that. Whoohoo!

Any kind of toy that can come apart is dangerous if the dog is left unsupervised. We caught Biggie just last night chewing on something. He had a mouthful of bed stuffing just chewing away. That's 2 beds in 2 weeks he's destroyed...little fart. Can't be too cautious.

Zoey still kicking...

Any woman that can pull a rope from a dog's butt is a keeper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Ill second this thread. Colossus is a suckler when it comes to ropes. He will constantly suck on them or chew to untie the knot then suck on them. Ive had to cut EVERY freaking rope off.

He actually swallowed a short rope. Never changed eating, habits, acting, etc, so I didnt get too concerned. However, the rope never passed. One night he got to something that fell on the floor as I was cooking, caused an instant upheaval of "belly contents" and there was the rope. I freaked for about 5 seconds, then well, ok at least its out. Knelt down in front of him as he was pouting (I did something wrong, I sowwie daddy), I grabbed his face and asked: Do you feel better? Then gave him some of my steak as a "its ok" item.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Our dogs don't get squeaky toys either. Our dachshund immediately went to work on a new toy with a squeaker to get it out. They are usually round plastic and could very easily get stuck in a throat. After a couple of toys being ripped apart like that, they were banned forever in this house.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Our dogs don't get squeaky toys either. Our dachshund immediately went to work on a new toy with a squeaker to get it out. They are usually round plastic and could very easily get stuck in a throat. After a couple of toys being ripped apart like that, they were banned forever in this house.

Our next door neighbor's EBD choked to death on the baby's pacifier. This was before they moved here. When they saw me walking Daphne for the first time, I stopped to say hello. They both got tears in their eyes and told me the story. I felt so awful for them.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Our next door neighbor's EBD choked to death on the baby's pacifier. This was before they moved here. When they saw me walking Daphne for the first time, I stopped to say hello. They both got tears in their eyes and told me the story. I felt so awful for them.

Oh no, that is so sad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No rope in our house

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
Thank you for sharing your sad and painful story. I will not be buying Sir Bentley any more rope toys.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There are so few safe toys for bullies. I used to give them hard nylabones and elk antlers till I read they can crack their teeth. I just bought a couple Benebones nylon wishbones but one of the members was saying his dog cracked his tooth on it. Lately I have been giving them the rubber nylabones, but the bullies can bite chunks off them to swallow, so those aren't too safe either. Soft hollow rubber dog toy balls and kong tennis balls- my bullies bite and swallow pieces of those if I'm not watching carefully. I'm going to be trialing some Planet Dog toys soon since I heard they are good. The only safe toy I have right now is a solid rubber stress relief squeeze ball that I got for free from some company a while ago. One of the members was saying their bully's favourite toy is a baseball, so maybe I'll get one of those in the future.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.